Direct Draw error message

Big Jeff

My sister just emailed me with this:

... after I signed off from MSN last night, there was a "fatal message" box on my screen.  It read as follows:  "Failed to initialize  Direct Draw:  Result_Surface_Fail."
I did a quick Google groups search on Direct Draw and it seems that the problems with it are related to Win 95. She runs Win XP Home on an hp Pavillion 7935 P4 with 512 MB of memory.Anyone know what the problem is and whether or not it's serious? Thanks in advance.

Guest ThunderRiver

Tell her to go to EventViwer and see if she can find any useful and detailed error informationGo to Start => Run => type eventvwrUnder the application section on the left hand side, cilck it, and on the right hand pane you should see a list of events. Find the date and time that the crashes occured..Double click on that event..and copy and paste onto this thread.I can't really help you out much unless a detailed error message is provided. :)On the other hand, you should check and see if there is any video driver upgrade for her video card device. nVidia has a lot of problems like BSOD and stuff, so if she is using one, she needs to upgrade her driver whenever a new one is out. Also, download the latest DirectX 9.0 and see if it helps abit. Let me know how things goThunderRiver

I asked my sister for the info but she didn't have time for it before she had to leave for work. I'll put the info up late this evening. There are other issues with her machine that are a topic for another thread but I don't think this is related.Thanks, so far. B)

Okay, here's the info from the event viewer:Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: EventSystemEvent Category: (50)Event ID: 4609Date: 3/25/2003Time: 11:57:06 PMUser: N/AComputer: YOUR-318RUQZ03ZDescription:The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

hmm, i dont think the post from the event viewer really point to the direct draw error?I would say that either this problem could be traced to direct X ya driver issue graphics which ever it is...as if remember it right even i had this once or twice...but then after updating both of them i didn't getthis error again....Hmm geff can u aks yur sis that doing the same steps can reproduce the problem.....and ask her to post the problem specifically related to this draw error which should be clearly be listed in thesystems applet ya event log........ :D

Guest ThunderRiver

imranj, it does draw some clue. It is a known issue that if you use MSN Messenger with version lower than 4.6, you might get COM+ error. The problem is more apparently when you have DirectX 9.0 installed as well.Two things you need to make sureYou need to install the latest version of MSN Messenger. secondly, if you already have DirectX 9.0 installed, please update your version to 9.0a, which was just recently released this week. Web Setup client is available here

I know she hasn't got DirectX 9.0 (I do, thanks for the tip on 9.0a). I don't know if she has MSN Messenger enabled but she mentioned this morning that her MSN Explorer has been loading slow since the error. I'll have to ask her if she can reproduce the error.

She's been running MSN 8 since it came out. She sent me this email this morning:

These are warnings I'm getting through my McAfee activity log.  These appear at the exact same times (multiple) as the warnings do in the event viewer.  I've only had the firewall for a few weeks though, if it matters. McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming TCP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 207.68.171.238. The remote port was 80 [HTTP]. The local port on your PC was 3020 [ephemeral]. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport (IP)".The binary data contained in the packet was "01 00 01 00 00 00 1c 65 20 00 01 00 08 00 45 00 00 fb 84 db 00 00 31 06 4c fc cf 44 ab ee 3f 9b fc 57 00 50 0b cc e6 ed d8 87 85 ff b6 ba 50 18 43 47 2e 92 00 00 c6 64 0b a2 2b 4a 6f ee 97 67 ". McAfee Firewall blocked an outgoing TCP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 63.151.110.100. The remote port was 80 [HTTP]. The local port on your PC was 3022 [ephemeral]. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport (IP)".The binary data contained in the packet was "1c 65 20 00 01 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 08 00 45 00 00 28 05 b1 40 00 80 06 0b 31 3f 9b fc 57 3f 97 6e 64 0b ce 00 50 86 01 ee f2 55 68 1a 6d 50 11 22 38 b2 c5 00 00 ".
Don't know if this is helpful info or not.There are other issues with this machine and when I get an opportunity (she lives in another city) I've got half a mind to use the hp recovery utility to wipe the hard drive, reinstall Win XP and give her a fresh start free of MSN 8 and McAfee. :D