linksys WAG354G and port forwarding

zillah

I have got LinkSys Router WAG354G (not WAG54G) at home , I have got the mail server with static ip address 192.168.1.64, and the web server with static ip address 192.168.1.100If I want to access these services from the internet, I have to configure port forwarding, but with my Linksys I have got these options under “Applications and Gaming†tab :1- Single port Forwarding.2- Port Range Forwarding.3- Port Triggering.4- DMZ.5- QoS.I have two cases with my ISP (but I am not sure, I have to check):Case1- ISP does not block port 25 SMTPWhat option do I have to use,,,,,Single port,,,,or Port Range,,,,,or Port Triggering ?.Case2- ISP does block port 25 SMTPWhat option do I have to use,,,,,Single port,,,,or Port Range,,,,,or Port Triggering ?.Under “Administration†tab I have got :Remote Management : Enable DisableManagement port :8080What is the different between port 8080 and port 80 ,,,,,,,,,,,,I know that port 80 for http.but when I am going to access my router’s web base, Am I going to use port 80

I have got LinkSys Router WAG354G (not WAG54G) at home , I have got the mail server with static ip address 192.168.1.64, and the web server with static ip address 192.168.1.100If I want to access these services from the internet, I have to configure port forwarding, but with my Linksys I have got these options under “Applications and Gaming†tab :1- Single port Forwarding.2- Port Range Forwarding.3- Port Triggering.4- DMZ.5- QoS.I have two cases with my ISP (but I am not sure, I have to check):Case1- ISP does not block port 25 SMTPWhat option do I have to use,,,,,Single port,,,,or Port Range,,,,,or Port Triggering ?.Case2- ISP does block port 25 SMTPWhat option do I have to use,,,,,Single port,,,,or Port Range,,,,,or Port Triggering ?.Under “Administration†tab I have got :Remote Management : Enable DisableManagement port :8080What is the different between port 8080 and port 80 ,,,,,,,,,,,,I know that port 80 for http.but when I am going to access my router’s web base, Am I going to use port 80
The difference in port 80 and 8080 is that most web servers default to use port 80 to listen for incoming TCP packets. In all Linksys products, the management web server is listening on 8080. The only way to change it would be to log into the router's Linux operating system and change it.I would suspect that for each application you would specify single port. You should be able to add multiple single port entries, at least 10 if I'm not mistaken. If your ISP does block port 25 you would have to change the configuration of your mail server to listen to a different port.

In my (admittedly limited) experience with port forwarding on LinkSys routers, it's generally better to use single port forwarding. That way, you've got individual entries for each port that you can enable/disable as you see fit.For the email, you'll have to forward port 25 for SMTP and 465 for SSL connections. Also, for incoming email (dunno if you need this), but you'll have to forward port 110 for POP3 and 995 for SSL.

• 2 weeks later...

To be able to telnet to my PC (LNA) remotly, Do I need to enable ping first ?To enable ping, I have to disable (by default it is enabled) the protection under Firewall section((Protection: Enable Disable Block Anonymous Internet Requests)) ---->I have to tick or untickDo I need to enable ping first to be able to telnet ? (i.e Can I telnet to my PC (LAN), though I can not ping the ADSL router).I can do this with Cisco router, I can allow telnet but I can deny ping,, but with linksys I do not

Thanks zlimMy router WAG354G is exactly same as WAG54G (mine has got one feature extra that you can add additional antena).The link was not very helpful to solve my issue.

Edited by zillah