Crashed Red Hat

georgeg4

I did it to myself I tried to back up My install to a different partition and it stopped short saying I didn't have enough room for it ( which has to be wrong since it is a 10 gig partition )I get the message unexpected Inconsistancy . run fsck manually I.E. without -a or -p options .It goes on from there . I tried to reinstall but it keeps going to the bad partition instead of the original one . I do have a crash dump on floppy in text form . I assume I have to re format my disk and then reinstall but I am waiting to hear from someone before I do anything drastic .

George,Do you know how you divided up your partitions? If you have a rescue disk, boot with that and then tell us the following things from the console:type fdisk /dev/hda and then press p to display the partition scheme. Press q to quit.type df -h and tell us how much space is allocated/available to each partition. :) ;)

I do have a boot disk but it still boots up to the corrupted partition . I have 6 partitions C fat32 Windows 98SE( 1.5 gigs) D ntfs Windows XP ( this is a separate physical HD )(8 gigs) E fat 32 Windows XP ( thats what I am running now)(10 gigs)hda6 The corrupted partition ( 10 gigs)hda7 made by Suse ( I have the demo disk and this is where it put its bootup files )(98 megs)hda8 my Rh9 primary(10 gigs)hda9 swap partition (default size)free space =somewhere around 8 gigs but my system doesn't recognize more than 32 gigsThis is all from memory

Can you tell me which partitions are on which drive? Do you have 1, 2 or 3? Forgive me if I'm being picky. :blink:

not at all peachy they are all on one drive except D which is on an eight gig separate drive . By the way I rebooted and tried to boot into /dev/hda8 which is supposed to be my good install but it said there is no kernel image on that partition

free space =somewhere around 8 gigs but my system doesn't recognize more than 32 gigsThis is all from memory
Houston, we have a problem! :blink: So, George, if you have machine that won't recognize hard disks > 32 GB then this may be your problem. What is your motherboard by chance if you know? What CPU do you have?

Guest ThunderRiver

LOL..PeachyI am from Houston.. so I guess..ehHouston: "roger that, you should check for BIOS upgrade until further instruction!"

George, just as an experiment, try to reinstall RedHat on hda8, and reformat hda10 aswell ( call it backup or whatever ) if your partitiontable is corrupted, this might just be a corrupted RedHat thing. ( if reformating hda10 gives troubles just leave that for the moment, lets first get RH back running. )Just stay calm, and don´t panic, after all you did backup all the files needed to get your Conexant connection going again . . . . . . didn´t you ??<_< Bruno

<_< Yep got em all on CD . I download everything to CD and then install it on my computer . That way I always have a copy and I can also scan it for virus before installing

OK I reinstalled RH on hda6 and while doing so I reformatted hda8 for a backup Partition but I haven't installed it yet . The reinstallation went flawlessly now that I know how to configure the modem .

See George, no reason to panic at all ! :)How is you partition table looking now ? Does everything get recognised, is it all there and in the correct sizes ?Hope to see you back on line quick with the newly configured modem in RH ! :):) Bruno

You just did Bruno I am using Galeon now . P.S. I sent you an PM that may be a help for first timers to install winmodems . I realize that most of the problems that we had getting mine to work was my ignorance not the modem or the driver . And by the time you got involved with it I had inadvertantly corrupted the system enough to make it so hard to install properly . Also if it will help feel free to edit my suggestions if you want or need to

Thanks George for the PM, I will post that info in The Tips tonight, it will fit nicely after the Modem Info that I posted the last 2 days !Happy to see you back using Galeon . . . . :DB) Bruno

Thanks Bruno One more question about backups. Is using the cp command a proper way to backup . Thats how I ended up crashing before.

Well it is George, but it depends a bit how much you want to backup, the amout of memory and cpu you have might make you want to decide to do chuncks at a time and not the whole partition at once next time. Using compression to limit he space you use might be wise too. Backing up your entire system is overdone as well, just the /home directory and a few important config files are enough for a backup. The OS itself is easy enough to re-install ( well you did that a couple of times already . . :) ):) Bruno

Hey George.... Got her up and running again huh? There are 2 more things you might want to add to your back up disk.....Flashand JavaLinux RPM in self-extracting file under the JRE column...That link I gave you earlier for flash doesn't seem to work on 9, only 8.....I just installed 9 a couple days ago. I'll give you my install output if it helps... I back that stuff up too along with the drivers.... ---- Java Install ----[jon@localhost jon]$ cd /to/directory/where/java/is[jon@localhost Downloads]$ sh ./j2re-1_4_1_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin- I prefer to just double click the RPM that was just extracted to the same folder - (you won't run into the same problem as you did with the modem driver. You'll be able to see that it hasn't completed what it is doing by looking at the progress bar....My modem driver takes a good 20-30 seconds to install as well)[jon@localhost jon]$ suPassword:[root@localhost jon]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_03/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so .[root@localhost plugins]# exit---- Flash Install ----[jon@localhost jon]$ cd /to/directory/where/flash/is[jon@localhost Flash]$ tar zxvf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz[jon@localhost Flash]$ cd install_flash_player_6_linux[jon@localhost install_flash_player_6_linux]$ sh ./flashplayer-installer[jon@localhost install_flash_player_6_linux]$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/components[jon@localhost components]$ suPassword:[root@localhost components]# rm xpti.datrm: remove regular file `xpti.dat'? yHope you find that a usefull addition to your backup disk...... Oh.. I'm a Mozilla fan... I think that Galeon works out of your Mozilla folder when it comes to plugins. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong..... Don't bother with Galeon George... It's inferior... :) Don't listen to these people around here.... Make sure you "View/apply theme/modern" in Mozilla. Not that looks are everything when it comes to an app..... It sure helps tho..... Also, only remove the file xpti.dat unless it tells you to..Jon

Thanks Jon I appreciate your help as always and I will DL those two new programs . I was wondering why the flash you gave me before wouldnt work and you just cleared that up for me. And by the way I did try Mozilla both in windows and here in linux and I definately like Galeon the best . I also tried Konquerer and I don't like that either . As you said Galeon uses some of Mozilla's features but all in all I think it's a good browser .

:D George, did you get your system to recognize more than 32GBs? If not you might want to check the jumpers, some newer drives come with two sets of master\slave settings, one for drives over 32GB and one restricting the drive to 32GB. I thought of you when I had to fix three of these this week.