Installation Problem

fuzzy

My subscription to Zone Alarm Pro ended and I could not afford to renew it so I decided to use Zone Alarm 6,the new free version. I uninstalled my old Zone Alarm and cleared any traces of it from the Registry using JV16 This is my normal practice with new versions of software and I have done it many times.However things seem to have gone wrong this time cos I can'treload Zone Alarm in any version and get a pop up saying" validation failed for C:docume~1\peterp\locals~1\Temp\VSINIT.dll - You probably are missing a necessary root certificate"followed by another on saying:"C:\windows\system32\vsdata.dll. - You probably are missing a necessary root certificate" It seems to me that this must be a Windows problem cos ( as far as I know) Windows holds all the root certificates.Can anyone help me please?

Edited by fuzzy

Guest LilBambi
ZoneLabs Forum: Validation failed - Windows and ZoneAlarm Messages and Alerts The above is not very encouraging. But some of the instructions in message two might still help your endeavors, even if it didn't for another person suffering from the same problem and you have already removed ZoneAlarm Pro.Seems to me ZoneLabs will have to start doing what Nero and Symantec have had to do to get rid of their programs when you want to uninstall them and something goes awry.....create a fully separate removal tool.Anyway, here are the instructions, albeit a bit obtuse at the beginning:
if Zonealarm is installed follow these instructions/CLEAN,then you will need to maually remove all traces by following these instructions Manual Uninstall Direction's ,then delete all files found and if there is more then one instance delete them ALL,this SHOULD solve your problem and you should be able to reinstall,if not repost and someone or I will help you further.
You are not alone in your quandry:Google search results on just one of the file names and the root certificate issueOn the other hand, you could always get Sygate's Personal Firewall. It is an excellent firewall and is free for personal use.Very nice firewall indeed. Just installed it on a computer yesterday and a week ago for a couple of folks who did not have a firewall. Very nice and is more lightweight than ZoneAlarm these days. :)

Look for and delete any of these folders if you find them:zonelabs"zone labs""Internet logs"zaprozonealarm"zonealarm pro"Here are also files to search out and delete:vsconfig.xmlvsdata.dllvsdata95.vxdvsdatant.sysvsmon.*vsmonapi.dllvsnetutils.dllvspubapi.dllzaplus.*zapro.*zlparser.dllzonealarm.exezoneband.dllIt is a bear removing everything so you can install a different version. I know because I've had to do it a few times and thought I'd never get it cleaned out...but eventually I did.I just got my Brian's Buzz newsletter and here is a link for the uninstall of ZA v6http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...stallNonNT.html

Edited by zlim

Sigh. It's too late now but you should have used Total Uninstall. I recently had to uninstall ZA and I was amazed at the junk the Windows uninstaller left behind. ZA was one of the worst ones I've ever seen.I know I must sound like a broken record (if anyone remembers what those are) but do not trust built in uninstallers or Windows uninstaller.I am not affiliated with TU and I don't make any money from it. I even suggest you get the free version. I have been using it for years and I have never had a problem with it, and everything I install, even the most innocuous tweak, gets the full TU treatment.

Edited by Webb

I agree with Webb - I've been using Total Uninstall for quite a while now and it's saved my bacon many a time.The stuff that it removes is amazing! And, if it can't remove it - it tells you so that you can go in and remove it manually!I was so impressed by the free version that I bought the pay version and haven't regretted it yet! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Was just about to do all this but discovered a very swift solution - although it may not help the poster above. Basically, I had to reset my CMOS and was getting the same message when I started up windows... the solution was to simply reset the time and date and bingo! It all works well now... have a look if the time and date have been changed.. if not, for your particular problem, change the time and date for a period when it was valid and uninstall then.. Dates eh..?