• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• Prelude76

• havnblast

• RandomBox

Our first 0.3 release candidate build is now ready for testing. I could really use everyone's help on getting a lot of testing coverage very quickly with this build.You can find the bits here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...2003-09-23-1.5/This build came from the newly created THUNDERBIRD_0_3_BRANCH for those of you building at home. This branch sprung from the Mozilla 1.5 branch. My hope is to ship 0.3 at the same time Mozilla declares final 1.5 bits. Thus, we all ship together.0.3 contains all of the goodness found in Mozilla 1.5, plus some mozilla trunk specific fixes which account for a *huge* performance win in IMAP among other things. You can look at my Trunk Tracking Bug for a list of fixes from the trunk which I explicitly took for 0.3. Please don't add new bugs to that list though , go through me to get things added.Recent changes from last week:1) I took David Bienvenu's fix for POP to support remove from server after X days. (Bug #107883)2) I took David's fix for POP users where the password manager sometimes forgets the password when checking for new mail (Bug #219162)3) I took David's fix for thunderbird not remembering your view setting if you are set to view Unread messages when restarting for POP users. (Bug #215694)4) The useragent now says 0.35) Toolbar buttons no longer have the huge amount of horizontal padding they were incorrectly picking up before. You could really notice this when using small icons.6) News articles with background images no longer peg the CPU at 100%.Known Issues:------------------*None*-Scott_________________Thunderbirds are Go!

You beat me to it! I was getting ready to post it when I saw you did. :)I'm supposed to get email notifications from a thread to announce new builds, but for some reason didn't get the notificaiton... bummer...

I took David Bienvenu's fix for POP to support remove from server after X days.
Does that mean that you can now choose to have T'bird leave mail on the server for POP3 accounts? That was the one control I noticed missing. I d/l'ed T'bird for XP late last week, and am finding it quite nice, but I need to be able to leave mail on the server if I'm not on the laptop where I keep my mail.

You have always been able to have mail left on the server, but now you can have it delete it off the server after X days... A very much requested feature. B)

Here's 0.3 RC2! He's quick about it this week!

You can find the builds here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...2003-09-24-1.5/This respin fixes the following problems with release candidate 1:1) the padding in the toolbars was too small (especially when using small icons)2) the spell checker was not spell checking your text when you replied to a message (I had to back out the change to not spell check the reply text i.e. 'John Doe wrote:' in order to fix this).3) News should use the server's username and password for authenticating (Bug #36816).4) the build ID now says 9/24Other than that the bits are identical.Let me know how they look.Thanks,-Scott_________________Thunderbirds are Go!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

Just installed this build and it works great! The advanced search feature now works in the address book .... way cool!Also much faster and my bazillion filters don't slow it down ... Yea! No going back to OE ever for me! :w00t:

Thunderbird 0.3 RC3 came out today. Here's the info.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...2003-10-08-1.5/This respin fixes the following problems with release candidate 2:1) A security hole in JS that went into Mozilla 1.5 (the main reason I respun these bits)2) A variety of bug fixes which should address problems opening attachments where the "Open With" radio button was coming up disabled and without the default helper app filled in for windows. This happened most often when opening an attachment that was encoded as application/octet-stream but was really a valid mime type like a PDF or a word document. Thunderbird was showing the content type as application/octet-stream in the helper app dialog and was also disabling the open option. That should be fixed now.3) Took the patch in Bug #220611 which fixes a regression in thunderbird when trying to open bin hex encoded attachments.4) Unthreading now resorts the view (Bug #218656)5) Fix the address book toolbar so the buttons are on top and the text is below the button not to the right of it. Also, implement "just icons" and "just text" modes for the customized address book toolbar.My goal is to ship 0.3 when Mozilla 1.5 final bits go out.

Just a heads up here, but if you're running 0.3 RC3, then you don't need to upgrade as they released that exact build as the milestone :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

New build out! First off the Tbird 0.4a branch (built from the current Mozilla trunk)... May not be as stable as 0.3, but don't have any major issues listed yet!

Just when you thought I'd forgotten to put out a weekly build . This is our first build based on the current Mozilla trunk in well over a month since we've been focused on the 0.3 branch.Since we have not had a good look at a trunk build of thunderbird in so long, it would be great to get a lot of eyes looking at this to spot for any regressions on the trunk that crept in while we were working on 0.3.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...003-10-24-trunkNew Features----------------Gosh so much has gone on in the trunk since we last had a trunk based build, I don't know where to begin!1) This build contains a first cut at allowing a user to paste a screen shot (or any image on the clipboard) into a mail compose window. This is windows only. Would be great if folks could test this out. I have a feeling there will be problems at certain resolutions / color depths that don't match my machine. To test: Ctrl-Printscreen to get a screen shot on your clipboard. Then paste it into a compose window and send it to your best friend telling them "Hey thunderbird pastes screen shots now". Or copy an image out of paint or another image viewer onto your clipboard and then into thunderbird. We currently convert the windows bitmap into a JPG file (temp dir\ "mozilla-screenshot.jpg") and insert the image file into the compose window. When closing the app, we delete the temporary file.2) POP messages with: Click here to download rest of message' now works.3) Auto Proxy urls now work4) vCard support is now available5) David Bienvenu has fixed several imap connectivity bugs.6) The panes in the address book window now have context menus.Known Issues----------------*None yet since we don't have a good trunk baseline to compare things to.*_________________Thunderbirds are Go!

• 1 month later...

Feel bad for slacking on build postings, but have been quite busy lately... Anyway... Here's the info on the 11/19 build (which has been re-spun 4 times now)... Seems like a great build with quite a few new features!

You can find the builds here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...03-11-19-trunk/This build is just full of new things for you to try out and help test. I don't know where to begin :)1) The animated biff alert has been redesigned with a crisp new look and now shows the Account name instead of your user name. (Win32)2) The progressmeter now shows up and shows progress in the main mail window when performing long mail operations such as loading a message, downloading new mail, etc. *finally!!*3) Normally, when you view a message, we mark it as read after displaying it. You can now hook this up to a timer such that we only mark the message as read after you have been viewing it for n seconds where n is configurable. To try this out, go to Tools / Options / Advanced / General Settings. I would also like help in looking for any regressions this new feature has caused with our normal mark as read behavior.4) You can now make Thunderbird your default News client. Tools / Options / General. In addition, I've made a lot of changes to how we register ourselves as a mail and news client with the Windows Registry. In particular, you should now be able to seemlessly change default clients either within thunderbird or through IE's Tools / Options / Programs panel. Of course all of this assumes that you have the right access capabilities for writing into the windows registry. I'll need *LOTS* of help testing this out to make sure I did not regress anything.5) Fixed a hang with news servers that require authentication and you enter an incorrect password.6) David Bienvenu checked in some fixes so we no longer forget your POP password if we get an error back from the POP server.7) David also added a new Filter action for POP users. You can now have a filter which removes a message meeting your criteria from the server if you are configured to leave mail on server by default.8) When threads are sorted by date, we now sort by the newest msg in the thread. (Thanks David)9) You can now sort messages by Junk StatusKnown Issues----------------Some users are unable to get or send mail because thunderbird thinks they are offline. If you see this behavior, look in your prefs.js file for (and remove it if it is there): user_pref("network.online", false);-Scott

i've been slacking too. >_< this one sounds amazing. lot of work done on finishing all the skinning.

A Thanksgiving Day Special for you:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...03-11-26-trunk/I'm very excited about the new stuff in this build:1) A new Theme update! This build has a lot of new artwork from Arvid including folder pane, message list pane, address book and improved toolbar icons. Way to go Arvid! The windows build contains new title bar icons.2) As part of the theme landing, Thunderbird now has a separate column for displaying attachment status in the message list pane. When you first launch this build, we should automatically show the attachment column to the left of the subject column. *Report back if you have to manually add the attachment column to the message list pane*3) Thunderbird now has a MARK button which you can add to your mail 3-pane toolbar. The Mark button can be used to mark / unmark messages as read, flag messages, etc.4) You can now add copy, cut, paste buttons to the mail compose toolbar.5) Further improvements to last week's new Mark as Read on a timer feature. If you get a new message and delete it before the timer goes off, we now mark it as read before deleting. This ensures that the new mail icon in your system tray gets cleared properly. (Windows only right now)6) The OSX build now uses a new creator type instead of re-using the one used by Firebird and Mozilla. This fixes a long standing OSX issue where browser urls from 3rd party applications (like IM) where going to thunderbird instead of firebird when they were both running.Known Issues/Regressions-------------------------------1) Themes will probably be broken as this is the first set of thunderbird builds that include the recent toolkit API change. Theme authors should see: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...p=269858#269858 for more information.2) When creating a new message filter, after you hit the ok button, the filter does not show up in the filter list dialog. Dismissing the dialog and bringing it up again shows the filter list.3) When the delete button is dragged into the Customize Toolbar dialog, just the text shows up and not the actual icon.Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving,-Scott

Guest LilBambi

Definitely sounds great!Would love to hear feedback on it before I go to download it on dialup. If anyone starts using the new build, please let us know your thoughts on it. >_

Definitely sounds great!Would love to hear feedback on it before I go to download it on dialup. If anyone starts using the new build, please let us know your thoughts on it.  >_<
im running it. its great, no problems yet, and the best thing of all is all the folder display and message display and contacts display no longer looks like netscape-era. all those icons have been updated with strong hints of Outlook 2003 to them. looks mighty sharp. >_< if you're using a custom theme, might wanna wait because the theming API has been redone for this build.most of the new goodies in this build are graphical-oriented.

Haven't noticed much of any performance difference here... It does seem a bit slower when sending messages, but not a lot by any means

New build for Windows and OSX out yesterday!

This is a follow up that addresses a lot of the theme issues and other regressions identified in the 11-26 build. I think we are really getting close to starting up 0.4 release candidate builds and getting on the train to ship 0.4. I can't thank everyone enough for the quick feedback and testing that has been going on in these threads. It has been a HUGE help.Will show up in the next 20 minutes at:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...03-11-30-trunk/What's New:---------------1) I think I've fixed the problem on Windows for those of you that are constantly getting asked if you wish to make Thunderbird your default mail client. Need help verifying that I did indeed fix it.2) When creating a new filter, it now shows up immediately in the filter list dialog. This was a regression in the 11-26 build.3) IMAP: Mark as deleted icon now shows up for messages that were replied/forwarded too instead of the the status envelope icon.4) Contacts sidebar in mail compose now has the new icons5) When replying to newsgroup posts, we no longer replace the news icon in the message list with an envelope showing reply status.6) When using "Small Icons + Text" in the toobar for mail compose and mousing over the small paste button, the icon no longer disappears.7) Improved some of the alignment issues reported by jschell with the Mark and Print buttons when using normal icons.8) When attaching a web page, the attachment bucket now springs into view.9) If you select secure authentication but the server does not actually support it, we now bring up an error dialog instead of silently defaulting to insecure auth.Known Issues----------------1) A reminder from the 11-26 notes: Themes will probably be broken as this is the first set of thunderbird builds that include the recent toolkit API change. Theme authors should see: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...p=269858#269858 for more information.

Guest ThunderRiver

Have they added the feature to turn off the preview pane? I am still having a great deal of difficulty turning off the preview pane feature.

Have they added the feature to turn off the preview pane? I am still having a great deal of difficulty turning off the preview pane feature.
you can turn off the viewing pane by sliding it down to very bottom. if it's scrolled all the way until its gone, it doesnt open the email.but you dont have to worry about worms jumping on board simply by previewing an email. this isnt OE. :lol: also, in other news:
Our first release candidate for 0.4 is now available. Hopefully we'll drive the remaining 0.4 bugs to zero in short order. I can't thank everyone enough for all the great testing you have been doing over the last couple days!Without further ado:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...003-12-01-trunk**NOTE: Windows and Mac RC1 builds late 12/02 / early early morning 12/03 depending on the mirror site. The build ID in Help / About will show 20031202 if you have the latest Win and Mac builds. More details below **What's New:--------------1) Mailing list dialog, subscribe dialog, search addresses dialog, offline dialog are now using the new icons. Thanks to Stephen Walker for the fix.2) Results in the search Addresses dialog now only show a subset of the available columns by default instead of showing all the address book columns.3) David Bienvenu landed an IMAP fix where you got stuck with an hour glass when selecting the Inbox while new mail is being downloaded.4) Find in message now always forces focus on the message pane so you no longer have to do it yourself.5) The offline extension for 0.4 builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...ns/offline/0.4/6) If you haven't found it already, there is also a Palm Sync Extension for 0.4 for synching with palm address books. Still working on the user page to explain the extension.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...s/palmsync/0.4/7) Find in dialog works again for standalone message window in 12/02 Win32 Respin8) Security button can now be dragged into the customize toolbar dialog in mail compose. 12/02 Respin (Win32, OSX)9) Attachments with non-ASCII file names can now be saved correctly. 12/02 Win32 Respin.Note: Some of these things aren't in the GK2 build because Andre made it before I checked some of these items in.Known Issues Blocking the Release:------------------------------------------1) Hooded One's problem with making thunderbird the default client on windows2) The remaining 0.4 bugs in bugzilla-Scott

Guest ThunderRiver

Prelude76,Do you know the real reason why it is bad to have preview pane except when it is Outlook 2003?It is not because of worm. Yes, worm may be nasty in OE, but that's not the main cause.I am rather more concerned by web bug. Those nasty 1kb transparent image that sends back your email address, ip address, and tells spammers that your email address is well alive and ready to eat junk.When you say pulling the preview pane down to the bottom, it doesn't turn the preview pane off. It still previews emails, but you can't see, because you only managed to hide the feature and failed to turn it off. Honestly, it doesn't matter how nice Thunderbird has built-in spam filter, the fact that it notifies spammer is just not reasonable.

Guest LilBambi

I agree ThunderRiver!That's why I have the View|Display Attachments Inline UNCHECKED! (on the file menu).Also, there is an easy way to turn the Preview Pane on and off...also under View|Layout|Preview Pane click it to UNCHECK it.BTW: Am using the new Thunderbird build ... I love it! I like the icons much better too.Few tiny bugs that I am sure will be fixed but nothing that prevents me from doing what I normally do, except search address in the address book. Will have to check to see if anyone using Win98SE has had the kernel crash when trying to use that like I am experiencing. Will have to reboot and see if it was just left overs or if it is consistent ALL the time before I put in the bug report. It's not the final release yet. B)

Edited by LilBambi

TRiver, give TBird a bit of respect. they already have a feature to block web bugs. go to Options, Advanced, Privacy, and turn on "Block Loading of remote images in mail messages". there, safe. :) and if you have "Javascript" turned off for emails, and activate the advanced junk mail filter, you can safely have preview pane on and enjoy email again, instead of worrying about what you'll catch next. :)

Guest LilBambi

Yep, you are right prelude, if you use what you just mentioned in conjunction with the ones I mentioned in my post above it, you can safely use the preview pane!I do and it's one of the reasons I switched to Thunderbird in the first place. :)

RC 2 is out already!!!!! How crazy :)

Should have OSX and GTK2 builds up Thursday during the day.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...2003-12-04-0.4/For those of you building at home, 0.4 has moved to a private branch, THUNDERBIRD_0_4_BRANCH. If you want to build what the Pros are using you should pull this branch :).New Stuff-----------1) Fix for the doubling of messages some POP users were seeing in local folders. Thanks to the folks that helped test this out earlier today.2) Fix for Bug #226325 --> Trailing stationary caret remnant left after backspace in mail compose editor3) Changing the window configuration of the 3-pane ruins charset decoding for all subsequent messages loaded in that window. (Note: if a message is displayed while you change the config, then it may not render with the right charset but any future message or a reloading of that message works fine).4) Encourage outgoing attachments to go out as binary to fix problems where binary attachments were getting encoded as quoted printable (Bug #226927)5) Find in dialog works again for standalone message window6) Security button can now be dragged into the customize toolbar dialog in mail compose.7) Attachments with non-ASCII file names can now be saved correctly8) Fix for regression installing themes and extensions that briefly appeared in RC1Known Issues Requiring us to Respin a New Candidate-------------------------------------** None Yet **Right now, no known stoppers that I would respin the bits for.As always, a huge thanks for your testing help. I appreciate the help and quick feedback everyone provides this forum.-Scott

Guest LilBambi

BTW: I went back to my 3.0 build for now.The new one after rebooting the computer wouldn't check mail at all or send.Will have to mention it in the Thunderbird topic at Mozilla.org if it isn't already (for Win98SE). I am sure they will fix whatever broke with a new nightly build :)

Neowin reports:Mozilla Thunderbird 0.4 FinalMozilla Thunderbird is a redesign of the Mozilla mail component. Our goal is to produce a cross platform stand alone mail application using the XUL user interface language. Our intended customer is someone who uses Mozilla Firebird (or another stand alone browser) as their primary browser and wants a mail client based on mozilla that "plays nice" with the browser. In addition, by focusing solely on stand alone mail, we believe we can make some dents in the overall footprint and performance of the mail client by removing components and chrome we don't need. On top of that, the UI becomes much cleaner as a stand alone application as opposed to being part of the mozilla suite.This release features a really sweet new skin, many new features, and alot of bug fixes. Worth the download!Download

A little more info:

I am very excited to announce the release of our latest Milestone, 0.4 for Thunderbird.http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbir...ease-notes.htmlMany thanks to everyone here in the forums that helped test and provided feedback for this release. We could not have done it with out you.Thanks and Enjoy,-ScottP.S. Upgraders with external themes or extensions, don't forget to clear out the chrome directory in your profile or the milestone build will not work. You will need to find 0.4 compatible versions of those themes and extensions.