• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• Prelude76

• havnblast

• RandomBox

Well, I think I will wait till the non-alpha release to import the mail itself LOL!
actually, you shouldnt worry about that, bambiThunderbird uses same email database format as Mozilla Mail and Eudora. It can be read in / read out with any other email program. In Outlook Express, you can import in Thunderbird email as well, just choose the Eudora option.ryan, correct me if i'm wrong in this. i'm not 100% sure of the statement i just made. <_<
AFAIK, yes... I know it's the same as Mozilla, but can't confirm the Eudora part... I've never tried it myself.Jeber, The Linux build should be up soon... :blink:

found this out in Mozilla's FAQ list. so i think Thunderbird email is very safe and compatible.

Mozilla’s mail files are in the standard plain text ‘mbox’ format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the ‘mbox’ format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.Your mail files are inside your profile (see User Profiles), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files – one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in ‘mbox’ format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation’s Mail folder.

Guest LilBambi

Good info to know :)Course coming from current mail client Pegasus is my problem right now, OE has my old stuff only.Have to check to see what they can do with Pegasus mail.

One more thing, If you downloaded the Windows build yesterday and you're experiencing any troubles, he did re-build it again last night with some major fixes. :D

Guest LilBambi

Interesting twist ... I now have WinXP Pro computer in addition to my Win98SE computer, and RedHat Linux computer.I copied the mail stuff over from Mozilla on Win98SE to the new but same exact build version to help with compatibility.My settings appear to have taken, accounts are there, my addressbook is there, even my filters appear to be there ... everything except the mail folders under each account.Anyone know why that might be? <_>

I would try copying all the mail folders back again now that you've opened it... Sometimes it takes doing this to get them to recognize properly...

New build again today! :D0.2 RC2!!! ;)

Same location as the first candidate build:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-08-26-trunk/The build ID in the about dialog will say 08/29.This respin is from the newly created thunderbird 0.2 branch and contains:1) A fix for our known issue in the first candidate build: where images were not loaded in news messages.1a) View source for news messages now works2) The spell checker crash bug fix.3) Find in message dialog now works4) I've changed the way we store background images in templates and drafts. Please help test this to make sure it works. (note we won't work with drafts and templates created with the 8/20 or the original 8/26 thunderbird builds).5) Rewrap now works in the plain text editor again6) David Bienvenu had a performance fix for deleting mail marked as junk being too slow.7) Unlike the first candidate windows build, we no longer register ourself in the registry as the default news client when you make tbird the default mail client via Tools / Options / General. Some folks don't want to use us for news and I need to make this an option before I let it out in a milestone.Known Issues-----------------**NONE**Could this be the last candidate build for windows? Help test and we'll find out together =).-Scott_________________Thunderbirds are Go!

Guest LilBambi

Wow! I was all excited when I was coming here to tell you that I followed the instructions on the Thunderbird FAQ page for importing Mozilla Mail into Thunderbird and it worked (after I got ALL the pathing straight in the prefs.js).http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.htmlNow I find out that there's another build! I will never keep up LOL! ;) OK, how easy is it to do get these updated versions anyway so you don't end up having problems with your current installation ... LOL! :) :) :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Ryan ... will give it a try this week.BTW: I should clarify ... I used the instructions from the Thunderbird FAQ for copying Mozilla Mail settings to Thunderbird, to get my Thunderbird settings from Win98SE to WinXP.Worked flawlessly. I now have matched copies of Thunderbird on both Windows computers. :)

Guest LilBambi

I have to say that I am liking Thunderbird more and more every single day.I will never go back to any other email client as long as they keep making it :)It is not only a great email client with lots of great features but transporting your Thunderbird mail, addressbooks, filters, account information and other settings to another computer is amazingly easy.They have some awesome developers!

Fran... Glad you love it!!! I knew you would! :DP.S. There's ONE Awesome Developer... They haven't added anyone else (officially) to the team yet. :(

Guest LilBambi

Ryan ;) Only ONE official developer for this wonderful program! Amazing!I joined their Forums the other day just so I could rave on Thunderbird and then went on about my business after reading some of the requests that must be driving that poor developer to drink! LOL!

lil'bambi. you got your thunderbird email 'synchronized' between win98se and XP? i never knew it could do that. is it in their FAQ?i know how to copy mail, but i'd like to have Win98, win2K, and linux versions of thunderbird all use the SAME email database, but each time its installed, it makes a random profile folder named something like "xj38dnwlu" or so. how do you tell thunderbird to use a particular profile?i guess this question is for Ryan too. ;)

Guest LilBambi

I am not using the 'exact' same networked link for all email although from my reading on the Mozilla Forums that too is possible. What I wanted was to transport my mail, settings, accounts, filters, address book, etc. from my Win98se box to my WinXP box.That I definitely did. I have both accounts leaving messages on the server. One computer deletes messages from the server when I delete them, the other does not.I read over the Thunderbird FAQ - 2.2 How do I migrate my Mozilla mail and settings to Thunderbird?.Because they said it uses the same type of structuring between them, I just applied the same instructions to Thunderbird to Thunderbird between my Win98SE to my WinXP box and voila!

2.2 How do I migrate my Mozilla mail and settings to Thunderbird?Thunderbird is now using separate profiles to not interfere with Mozilla. In order to migrate your mail and settings from Mozilla to Thunderbird, follow these steps:Start up the new version of Thunderbird and let it create a default Thunderbird profile for you. When the Account Manager comes up click cancel and exit the application. Find the Mozilla profile you are interested in migrating (...\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.slt). Find the location of your new default Thunderbird profile folder. Now copy all the contents of the first directory into the second including subfolders. You aren't done yet because Mozilla uses absolute directory paths in prefs.js. Open up the Thunderbird prefs.js file in a text editor. Search and replace all strings containing: ...\Mozilla\Profiles\XXXX.slt with ...\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXX.slt. Save the file and start up Thunderbird. Note: This method brings over your mail and account settings, your junk mail training data, and filters. Make sure your POP account in Thunderbird is configured to leave all mail on the server in case you want to go back and read pop mail from Mozilla Mail. Also, copying the Mozilla profile results in a lot of preferences and files no longer needed, since Thunderbird is a mail client only. Remove redundant files at your own risk.
** First thing I did was to delete the account that I had created in WinXP for Thunderbird.Important: In #2 below, you really do cancel instead of actually creating a Thunderbird account. I tried this many times in different ways before I read these instructions, but this is the way to do it.NOTE: I copied the c:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\ directory tree from my Win98SE box to a temporary directory on the WinXP box.1. First I deleted the current directory structure for Thunderbird on XP that I had set up previously (located under Documents and Settings\Application Data\).2. Then I opened Thunderbird. It wanted to make a new account. I canceled. Then closed Thunderbird.3. I navigated to the Documents and Settings and copied the directory tree from my Win98SE box located below the: Windows\ApplicationsData\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\strange_number\ from below the strange number, and pasted those files/directories to the WinXP box under C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\strangenumber_like_fre94l7b.slt\ (replacing the current files there)NOTE: Makes it easier if you actually navigate down the tree and then copy and paste from the address line get the appropriate structure3. Then I changed the prefs.js file (towards the the bottom of the file where all the paths are identified) as follows being sure to change ALL references to the old Win98se directory structure to the new Documents and Settings directory structure (including the new number that Thunderbird created when I canceled creating the account. For example: C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\strange_number_fre94l7b.slt\Mail\(making sure I made all the backslashes (\) into double backslashes (\\) as was currently in the prefs.js ---- You'll see what I mean when you see it.)4. Started Thunderbird and voila! All there right down to the filters for specific emails going to directories and how often I check your mail....for all accounts I had created in that identity in Win98SE.5. Done.Hope I didn't leave anything out. The full generic instructions are at Thunderbird FAQ link I posted at the top of this message.I hope I didn't make this clear as mud! LOL! Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Yeah! Way cool! ;) Haven't tried it on Win2K, but should work the same way.Definitely haven't tried it on Linux ... only have a two port KVM switch here for my desk LOL!

i dont think there's much new, the last couple of builds were 0.2RC, and the developer was trying to catch a Mac OS bug or something like that.still, i feel TB 0.2 is a LOT more stable than firebird 0.6+, which crashed on me a couple of times already. well done to their solo developer!what i would like to see in TB 0.3+-ALL icons finally updated for main theme-ability to merge all mail into one central INBOX, as per lil'bambi's suggestion-right-click and ADD CONTACT TO ADDRESS BOOK option on all email names within an email, not just in header as it is now-compatibility to send/receive address book in .VCD Outlook format? (might be impossible due to copyright patents and what not)-black list / white list option for junk mail (i hear its real close to being done)-minimize to systray-maybe merge mozilla sunbird and go for a whole contact management email program, similar to Linux's Evolution? *yeah, i'm dreaming* :lol: anyone else have good suggestions?

side note:i installed Thunderbird here at work (hate using Outlook or Outlook Express) and a fellow co-worker who uses Outlook XP asked me to check my email for something or something, and i fired up thunderbird and didnt say anything. he looks, and then says "holy, what is this? how come i dont have this cool looking email on my computer?" hehehe...

• 2 weeks later...

New build out this week (Windows only right now though)

I just pushed a 'late' build of the week for windows tonight. Please read aboutthe new roadmap to better understand this build.This build is a 0.3a build and is based off the Mozilla 1.5 branch.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...2003-09-12-1.5/New Features:-----------------1) A *huge* performance win for IMAP over broadband. This is a fix by David Bienvenu that will soon find its way into mozilla seamonkey. I find most IMAP operations are at least twice as fast as they used to be. Thanks a lot David!!2) Thunderbird no longer spell checks the 'reply text' in mail compose. i.e. the "John Doe wrote:".3) Thunderbird no longer spell checks signatures although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I may take it back out.4) There is now UI in Account Settings / Addressing & Composition to allow those of you that want your signatures to be inserted before the quoted reply if you so choose. (No political arguments in this thread about this please!)5) Thunderbird took Neil's Mozilla Mail fix to support Mark Read By Date6) You can now mark a folder as read via the folder pane context menuA complete list of changes.Known Issues---------------*None Yet!*

This very informative topic has gotten to be over 6 pages long and I was saved by a tip on page 1 about an annoyance of MozillaThunderBird that I could not cure no matter what option I had tried! Thus it is worth repeating:

As ThunderRiver had asked ............... I just wish Thunderbird would give users the options to turn off "Preview pane".........and
as GolfProRM had replied ..............drag the Prieview Pane all the way to the bottom it is disabled.........
Following GolfProRM's suggestion NOT only gets rid of the annoying PreviewPane but also rectifies the problem with messages becoming marked as "Read" automatically!Thank You! :unsure:

New build 2003-09-17 of Thunderbird is out.

This build is a 0.3a build and is based off the Mozilla 1.5 branch.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...2003-09-17-1.5/Not much work to report in this build since last Friday's build.1) Fixes for some of the imap instability (some users saw connections locking up, CPU pegging at 100% etc) that came with last week's performance win for IMAP. Thanks to David Bienvenu forbeing so responsive in quickly fixing these bugs.2) A fix for background images in news articles that were pegging the CPU at 100%. This should make most of the folks over at netscape.test.multimedia happy .3) The default behavior for leave mail on servers for POP has been reverrted back to the more standard behavior of FALSE. We set it to true in the early development days to make it easier for folks to experiment with thunderbird and not have it download all of their pop mail. But now it is time to move back to the standard behavior for a mail client. Spread the gospel to your fellow Thunderbird users in case they reall want mail left on the server for pop. They'll have to set this themselves now!4) Any bug fixes that went into the mozilla 1.5 branch to help make it more stable over the past couple of days of course.That's about it!Known Issues----------------*None Yet*
P.S. - GolfProRM, you're snoozing. this release is 2 days old! B)

I had e-mailed Bill Klein (of www.boolean.ca aka:HotMailPopper extension builder), regarding a few issues!I thought his solution to my problem maybe of use to others here who may have both HotMail and Yahoo accounts:I had asked:I am using MozTB for my ancillary email accounts for BOTH HotMail (w/HotMailPopper) and Yahoo (w/YahooPops)!But YahooPops and HotMailPopper cannot simultaneously be launched with MozFB (due to proxy port conflicts)! Both provide an option to be launched during Windows StartUp! But neither provide an option to ONLY be launched when sending/receiving emails from the specific account!He replied/suggested:"Unfortunately doing so would be impossible without tight integration with the e-mail client. But fear not: there is another solution. Simply change the Port setting in Hotmail Popper (or YahooPops) to something other than 110 (say, 19356), and change the corresponding Port setting in the POP setup in Thunderbird. Now the two will be able to coexist since they will no longer be attempting to bind to the same port."