New Thunderbird Build!

GolfProRM

New build released August 7th!!! More good changes since the Milestone! :P

You can find it here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-08-07-trunk/*Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum or bugzilla, thanks!*This is the first weekly build coming on the heels of our successful 0.1 milestone. Keep in mind, unlike 0.1, this build is a snapshot of the current Mozilla Trunk and there could be instabilities / regressions in the current trunk build.Without further ado:New Features----------------1) Icons from Arvid for the Options Dialog. Some tweaked mail toolbar icons such as the new Reply icon. Some tweaked mail compose icons.2) A Previous button can now be added to the mail 3-pane toolbar to match the already existing Next button.3) A Quote button can now be added to the mail compose button which quotes the contents of the currently selected message ala Netscape 4.x.4) There is no longer a pref category called Send Options. It is a separate dialog launched by clicking the 'Send Options' button in the Compose panel.5) The identity picker in mail compose now shows the name of the account associated with the identity.6) Spell checker no longer spell checks quoted plain text replies!7) Keyboard bindings now work in the address book. They have been broken for quite some time.8) David Bienvenu checked in a big memory leak fix where we were keeping mail dbs open when we shouldn't.9) Don Crandall fixed the location of the about dialog on OSX.10) When dragging attachments over the mail compose addressing envelope, we automatically pop open the attachment bucket now and it stays open.Known Issues----------------1) There is a strange focus issue in the addressing envelope in the compose window. Sometimes while typing in addresses, focus seems to lock up. You can get around it by moving focus into say the message body and then back into the addressing field.2) I've been seeing weird things where the app stops loading mail messages for IMAP and I have to quit and restart. This may just be a problem with my mail server going down or it could be something in the app. To early to tell.3) I made a change that effects how we kick urls out to the operating system. This has caused known problems on Mac and Linux (on mac the browser window starts up when you start thunderbird!). Let me know if you see any weirdness like this in the windows build. i.e. you click on a url in the message pane and it loads in the message pane instead of in your default browser. Or you try to load the start page in the message pane and it instead goes to your default browser.Enjoy,-Scott

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• Prelude76

• havnblast

• RandomBox

It keeps getting better and better each week!!! Here's the latest build info!

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-08-13-trunk/*Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum or bugzilla, thanks!*New Features----------------1) Re-designed Advanced Options panel2) Go to next unread message now goes to the next folder3) New Junk Mail icon for the thread pane and folder pane4) New about dialog5) Add a new Layout menu item under view which allows you to choose the layout of your choice for the mail 3-pane.6) Options dialog is now resizeable so hopefully no more cut off buttons that some of you were seeing.7) Quote reply preferences are now set on a per account basis via Account Settings and not through the Options / Composition panel.8) David Bienvenu landed a change that can keep your message list blank until you actually log into that account. You need to set a preference to turn this on ("mail.password_protect_local_cache")9) Under Options / Advanced you can now control collected address books behavior. This will soon be moving to the composition prefs panel.10) David Bienvenu checked in a fix for the famous bug where emptying trash or other folder operations left a message list pane full of dots with empty text.11) The stand alone message window menus have been cleaned up.12) David fixed an issue for imap users in last week's build where the connection seemed to freeze up randomly.13) The windows build includes a fix for Bug #116867 for those of you who have been waiting for thunderbird to be able to send background images on the body of HTML mail. (Knock yourselves out)Known Issues-----------------1) There is a strange focus issue in the addressing envelope in the compose window. Sometimes while typing in addresses, focus seems to lock up. You can get around it by moving focus into say the message body and then back into the addressing field.I think that about sums up the high lights for this week's build. Enjoy!-Team Thunderbird

just got it. looks slick, and clicking ABOUT, it says version 0.2a. i guess its alpha of 0.2 right?anyways, question about firebird and its new "Send Page" feature. it tries to send it Outlook Express! and yes, i have Thunderbird set as my default email application. ;)edit: weird it works now, after i installed Outlook XP, then re-set my email client to thunderbird. p.s.- i installed Outlook so i can translate my work email over to thunderbird. the import worked flawlessly, but i couldnt' just use a backed up .PST file. now i have to go and uninstall Outlook. :lol:

New build released August 20! Looks like a great build so far!

This week's build can be found here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-08-20-trunk/*Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum or bugzilla, thanks!*New Features----------------1) New windows desktop and window title icons courtesty of Jason Kersey.2) We no longer spell check urls you may type in mail compose3) Some branding changes from Thunderbird Mail to Mozilla Thunderbird. This also changes the application name we use in the Windows Registry for registering mailto protocol handlers, and default mail application. Thunderbird Mail is the old name we used to register and you may see that on your system. If you reset us as the default mail application, then we'll re-register with Mozilla Thunderbird.4) When turning off the preview pane (View / Layout / Message Pane), we no longer try to load messages in the hidden preview pane.5) You can now mark messages as junk / not junk via the Messages / Mark menu fly out.6) Remember inline CSS style attributes on the body element for the compose window when loading as a template or a draft.7) David Bienvenu added the option to keep your message list pane (the thread pane) blank until you are actually logged in. Some folks find this to be a comfort security wise.8) We now have a fix for the 'focus freeze' issue in mail compose autocomplete that has been listed as a 'known issue' since 0.1! *woo hoo*Known Issues-----------------*** NONE!!! ****Thanks and enjoy,-Team Thunderbird

theres one issue with the 08-13 build that is annoying. if you regularly submit bugs / requests to the dev team, could you do so for me, Ryan? thankswhen you have side bar open to show contact list, it doesnt remember overall width and column width. always have to re-size whenever i load up thunderbird.im gonna see if its fixed in this build, it looks like a great build. they should be calling themselves 0.9 cause thats where they're at. B)

about new build:1. love the new desktop icon. very slick2. they should've kept old icon in case people wanted a choice3. small icon in quick-launch menu looks worse. shadow is too big and theres a glitch on left side of icon

I do know there are quite a few issues with window/folder/sidebar sizes right now... They're well known and they are trying to figure them out right now...

Guest LilBambi

Cool, Ryan!Might get close enough for me to want to try it out ... email is a mainstay and can't have it crashing on me, but it sounds like it is getting close now! B)

Might get close enough for me to want to try it out ... email is a mainstay and can't have it crashing on me, but it sounds like it is getting close now! :(
~~~~ try it now, bambi ~~~~~ B) note to all: Thunderbird does NOT crash, even though its pre-alpha 0.1 experimental only use B) it never crashed on me (been trying it since original 0.1 build). it just has a couples of issues with window resizing and so forth. and it loads in Outlook and Outlook Express emails and contacts FLAWLESSLY (hint hint hint)and where Mozilla Mail feels like a new-age version of legacy Netscape Mail, Thunderbird feels like a new sports car. there's something about it. it looks and feels slicker than even OE6. try it out.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Prelude!Between you and Ryan ... I will just have to try it LOL!Will try to set a download over the weekend for it.How big is it anyway ... dialup users want to know :D

The zip file is 9.0Mb, but if you download the installer exe file, it's less than 8 :blink:http://seb.mozdev.org/thunderbird/With tbird, unless I mention otherwise, I'd download the latest weekly build over the "milestone" They make quite a few changes every week so it's usually worth keeping up with (for right now anyway) B)

If I have a few throw-back HotMail accounts that are used mostly to collect spam ( :D ) My plans are to sell them all on ebay as antiques, in few years! *Can MozTB readily handle HotMail accounts, as does OE?*Will MozTB transfer my OutlookExpress settings/files for HotMail into itself (as in an import function)?*I use MailWasherPro for my OE HotMail account spam cleaning >>> does MozTB do any spam filtering?I really wanna be cool like uze guyz, but I am somewhat of a skeptic! As I was with MozFireBird at the initial rollout! But now you could not seperate me from MozFB!

As for your questions:

*Can MozTB readily handle HotMail accounts, as does OE?
Yes and No :) To do so, you need to install Hotmail Popper I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it's sucess, but I know a lot of people do use it. :)
*Will MozTB transfer my OutlookExpress settings/files for HotMail into itself (as in an import function)?
Yes... in the tools menu, there's an import function that will import your mail, address book, and mail settings :) Works like a charm :)
*I use MailWasherPro for my OE HotMail account spam cleaning >>> does MozTB do any spam filtering?
Yes. It uses a Bayesian filtering system that has to be trained a bit (manually marking messages as junk/not junk), but after a little training, works like a charm! :D I get the occasional spam in my inbox, but rarely (if ever) have a false positive. :)

Guest LilBambi

Woohoo! Thunderbird is an awesome email client so far! Very impressed with it.I am giving it a really thorough work out ... I have imported my nearly 400 contact Outlook Express address both and it did it flawlessly even importing accurately my Comments page on the email address book and that's a first for any import utility that I've seen so far with other email addresses.The only thing I am wondering is where I find the ability to combine my Inbox and/or Sent Box between accounts or if this is possible.This was the only thing that annoyed me about Mozilla's mail. They wouldn't let you combine particularly the Inbox. The others are not as important to me.I can live with this if necessary but I really don't like that one silly feature. LOL!Otherwise, I really like the Interface alot. And it has many great features!Thanks Ryan and Prelude for suggesting trying this version out ... fantastic! Once I can confirm that I won't end up losing anything with the updates to the program, I may have found a new Keeper of the email B)

Guest LilBambi

Ryan,Where do we submit wishlist items.I would love to see it minimize to the system tray like Pegasus Mail does.BTW: I love the little notices it puts up for new messages ... nicely done.

*I use MailWasherPro for my OE HotMail account spam cleaning >>> does MozTB do any spam filtering?
Yes. It uses a Bayesian filtering system that has to be trained a bit (manually marking messages as junk/not junk), but after a little training, works like a charm! B) I get the occasional spam in my inbox, but rarely (if ever) have a false positive. :D
http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introdu...o_thunderbird_5Thunderbird (and Mozilla's) spam control are sweet. but you almost WANT some junk mail at first so you can 'train' it to spot junk. the tutorial above shows settings and how to tweak your TBird junk mail filter. say bye-bye to mail-washer. B)

bambi,you can combine Sent messages into one folder. in Account Settings, Copies & Folders, it says "When Sending messages, place copy in "and you can specify which folder sent messages got to.you can combine draft and templates folders as well. but inbox goes to its own folder. maybe there is a way (by extension) to do this, but i personally prefer to keep my inboxes seperate, but i see your point and it would nice to have it as an option.and don't forget the tip, add "-P" to the command to launch profile manager. its great if you have several people using the same windows account but have different emails. using Profile manager, you can even save all emails to a seperate partition or drive instead of that silly Documents & Settings default area. makes it great, so you can format windows and have email always safe on another drive.

As far as having all accounts go to one inbox, the only way (currently) to do this is to use mail filters to have it all go to one inbox...As far as the minimize to tray, it's definitely the most requested feature... Don't know if or when it will be implemented though... I hope it is implemented too, so join the club! :DHere's what I use to minimize it to the tray... it's a little program that allows you to right-click on the minimize button to minimize any program to the tray... I use it for t-bird and it works quite well. :rolleyes:http://www.4t-niagara.com/tray.html

One more thing: T-bird uses a profile just as Firebird does, so even when you upgrade, all your mail and accounts and settings will stay. :) I upgrade weekly and have yet to lose any info or need a new profile. :)

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Ryan and Prelude!All great info ... I am really enjoying it so far!Ryan...I am in the process of downloading that little tray minimizer program as we speak :)

thanks, Ryan, for the 4T tray suggestion! this should be Software of the Week award! :lol: make hiding firbird / scotts forum SO MUCH easier at work :lol: :lol:

Guest LilBambi
thanks, Ryan, for the 4T tray suggestion!  this should be Software of the Week award!  :lol: make hiding firbird / scotts forum SO MUCH easier at work  :lol:  :lol:
Prelude,Oh, yeah, wish I had 4T Tray Minimizer when I was was working for corporations LOL!It is a great program for minimizing anything! Awesome! B)

Woooohoooooo! I done did it!Mozilla ThunderBird is pretty slick and suave! Nice!Had to download HotMail Popper and YahooPops to get those emails via the localhost (127.0.0.1)!Although I created three separate accounts (2 on HotMail and 1 on Yahoo), I have to manually turn the POPs on/off, depending on which account I want to log on to as they both share the localhost #, so you can't have them both running at the same time! Too bad I don't know how to tell MozTB to launch a POPs program before itself! The MozTB icon is too lame; maybe when I feel as though I really don't need OutllokExpress (OE) anymore, I won't be confusing these two icons anymore! No Biggy!I was happy to find out that the SkyPilot theme works with MozTB as I also use it in my MozFireBird! Nice!Downloaded few of the Extension like the calendar! Nice!JunkMail Tool has been well thought out! But still lacks BlackList and FriendsList features! No biggy!The OE import function is funky though! Although it really sounds and feels (?) like it transferred my email over to MozTB from OE, I just get a "welcome" email! No biggy! Thanx you guyz!

yes! another Tbird convert! who's next? maybe SCOT? :) come on, ditch that silly antiquated Eudora already.randombox: i hear you about the icons. the aug 13 build had MUCH sexier icons; the recent builds are blah blah too OE ugly.

Guest LilBambi

Cool! I sure love it ... am using it almost exclusively right now.I don't use the blacklist feature anyway, but using the very good filtering I am getting things to go exactly where I want them or deleting them as appropriate.I am sure they will rethink the black shadow on the taskbar/system tray icon in time. ;)I definitely like the icons other wise.I have not imported my mail from my OE or Pegasus Mail, however, I did import the OE Addressbook and it worked exceptionally well on my nearly 400 records as I mentioned earlier.Well, I think I will wait till the non-alpha release to import the mail itself LOL!I know where they are :) Congrats RandomBox ... glad you decided to try it out too! :) Never going back to OE or Pegasus unless they really break Thunderbird LOL!

The Icon will be fixed in the newest build... Was a problem because the icon designer used XP, while the previous versions of windows don't do icon transparency well... The black list is coming soon... very soon I'd imagine... I'm pretty sure this will be implemented before we reach 0.2 here in a couple weeks. :)

Hot Diggity Dog! Here's the Latest Weekly Build that is also the first 0.2 Release Candidate!!! This is one heck of a build!!!!

Per the Thunderbird roadmap, I want to ship Thunderbird 0.2 from the 1.5b branch.This was hindered some what last week by my dead hard drive, but I am back on my feet again this week =).Instead of calling this the August 26th weekly build, I'm going to call it a 0.2 candidate build so we can start focusing on 0.2 blockers with this build. Fortunately we had a great build last week so I think we are in much better shape going into 0.2 than we were way back in 0.1.Without further ado, on to the weekly release notes.This week's build can be found here:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-08-26-trunk/New Features----------------1) Windows just got a huge performance boost and fooprint boost (shaved almost 1.5 MB from the download size) by changing some build flags. You should notice a big improvement in this week's build. This follows up the big improvement in last week's windows build too. Woo Hoo!2) A new Attachments panel in the options dialog allows you to manage how attachments are opened based on mime type. There is a bug where you can't change the "always ask" or "always save to disk" radio item that I have not figured out yet. Thanks to Ben Goodger for allowing us to leverage the work he did in Firebird here in Thunderbird for this preferences panel.3) A new helper app dialog when opening attachments courtesty of Ben Goodger4) On windows, if you go to Tools / Options / General and re-mark thunderbird as your default mail client, we also register thunderbird as the default news client. Clicking on news urls in a browser will now launch thunderbird. This is still a little flaky if you go through window's control panel / Internet Options / Programs / Newsgroups instead of doing it in thunderbird.5) A new windows icon which will hopefully look better on win2k courtesty of Jason Kersey6) A fix for the famous problem where thunderbird would not remember your window position and other information because we weren't auto generating a localstore.rdf if it was missing.7) The contacts panel in mail compose is no longer double click happy. We only add entries to the compose window when you double click on a valid entry as opposed to any white space in the contacts panel.8) When printing a mail message with attachments, we now print a list of the attachments as part of the message. Thanks to Kevin Teuscher for helping get this in.Known Issues----------------*None* (so far =))Enjoy the build, please post any major regressions over the last couple builds. Hopefully this build gets us on a quick trajectory to 0.2.-Scott

Well, I think I will wait till the non-alpha release to import the mail itself LOL!
actually, you shouldnt worry about that, bambiThunderbird uses same email database format as Mozilla Mail and Eudora. It can be read in / read out with any other email program. In Outlook Express, you can import in Thunderbird email as well, just choose the Eudora option.ryan, correct me if i'm wrong in this. i'm not 100% sure of the statement i just made. :Dp.s. - thanks for the update on the new build. i'm grabbing it now, it new features / fixes is impressive.