OpenOffice Impress Vs. Windows PowerPoint Vs. ????

hugo

Ultimately, I want a way to convert files back and forth between Windows PowerPoint (PPT) and OpenOffice Impress.If I cannot do this, I would appreciate feedback on which one to use.My situation is that I'm developing software on Linux (my machine is dual boot). I use PPT to document things (old people will be reminded of the 3"x5" index cards one used to use), so I'm in and out of PPT while I am developing code. The problem is, when I'm in Linux and doing development, I would have to stop and reboot into Windows if I am going to use PPT. This is grossly inefficient, as well as being a huge pain in the arse.If I instead used Impress, I would have the benefit of being able to stay within Linux. In that case: is Impress as good, feature-wise, as PPT (I think PPT is pretty darn good and now how to use it)?? (I think the OpenOffice-equivalent of MS Word is pretty darn good.) If I used Impress, what about when I want to give a presentation, and everyone uses PPT and Windows--I would have to convert to PPT, no?The ultimate solution is to convert between Impress and PPT. However, I have found the following:-I can read in a PPT-generated file into Impress, but the formatting can go very bad; i.e., one would have to reformat *a lot*, if not completely redo some slides.-I cannot even read Impress-generated files into PPT.Is there software that does a better job of converting between the two formats?Thank you.

Impress is a nice program. I would suggest that you simply install it on both the Windows and Linux partitions. I do. I use it in both. However, if you have to take your files with you to meetings and not your computer then you might be better off to do a simple kwrite for your notes or Open Office Writer and then save as a doc you can load into Windows.

Impress also has the ability to export to HTML. That is it creates HTML files with associated images that you can put on web server for others to read or zipup and bring with you. Everybody has a browser. For an example of what the slideshows it creates looks like, go here:http://plugintolinux.ca/files/slideshows/encrypting your email with evolution/seahorse.htmlYou can also export to PDF (each slide becomes a page).It wouldn't surprise me if the formatting problems you have importing PPT files into Impress have to do with fonts or rather the lack of the needed fonts under Linux. If you bring in the Microsoft fonts for Linux and stick to those under Windows, you might have better results. Then you can import and export PPT files.It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an Impress Reader for Windows but I don't think there is such a thing.

You could also explore ditching PowerPoint altogether, by using something like John Haller's Portable OpenOffice...If it works for you, you could just use a USB drive to carry your presentation and OpenOffice to the presentation computer, and give the slideshow using Impress instead of PowerPoint. No need for importing/exporting at all...Anyway, just a thought. :)

Thank you all for the excellent information. The great, great (great, great, ...) majority of these ideas I had not thought of, so I am most grateful for your time and help.

misunderstruck

Hi Hugo,What version of OpenOffice are you using? I used to have a horrible time trying to import PowerPoint files into Impress with version 1.1.4, but lately I've been using the OOffice2.0 beta versions and Impress is by far the most improved component in 2.0. I suppose it depends on how fancy you get with formatting, but I have had very little trouble with text and basic animations. Most of my figures (I teach high school math and use Powerpoint and Impress for class presentation) have survived the transition well.