Linux/UNIX Releases

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Mandrake Linux 9.1 is available for downloadWednesday, March 26, 2003 11:50 AM, in an email, the Mandrake Team stated that Mandrake has announced their release of version 9.1New release includes:features such as a new "MandrakeGalaxy" theme, NTFS partition resizing, ZeroConf network configuration, ACPI power-management, Wi-Fi support, plus much more.Discover the new release by viewing a visual presentation at:http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/The official press-release is available at:http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/91PR.php3Download the core product and give it a try:http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3Please note the following:The download edition includes exclusively open-source software.To receive the largest selection of software packages (hardware drivers, software plugins, commercial applications, etc.) be sure to purchase a Mandrake pack or a club membership. Three different commercial packs are now available for pre-order which provide additional applications, printed documentation and support:- Mandrake 9.1 Standard - a customized Linux system for desktop workstations- Mandrake 9.1 PowerPack - a full-featured Linux package for power-users- Mandrake 9.1 Prosuite - a comprehensive solution for small &medium-sized businesseshttp://www.mandrakestore.comIf you'd like to give it a try, but either don't want to spend the money, or don't know if this is the flavor of Linux you want, I would recommend downloading it if you have broadband access and a CD-R to burn the ISOs and install from the CDs you burn.If you don't mind the download version but don't have the bandwidth and/or a CD-R, you might be able to soon get a copy of the download version for basically shipping costs at http://www.cheapbytes.com/.They create CD-Rs of the downloadable versions of many flavors of Linux and BSD, except where otherwise noted on the site.

Guest LilBambi

I really like DistroWatch tooHowever, today they are currently recoding their Major Distribution page ... no info there right now...they say check back in a few day's time.

RedHat 9.0 will be available first to subscribers, which I believe is going to happen very soon if not already. I got the letter at home stating the news, but am at work now. Check-out RedHat for more information.

Found the Letter:Dear ***********,We've recently made some changes to Red Hat Network based on survey data that we received from you. We found that two items of extreme interest to our users are early release of Red Hat Linux ISOs and improved technical support.Beginning March 31st, paid subscribers to Red Hat Network will have access to Red Hat Linux 9 ISOs - a full week before retail store and Red Hat FTP availability. Also, Red Hat Network subscribers will receive dedicated Red Hat Network Technical Support. For more information about the benefits of being a Red Hat Network Subscriber, go to:http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/offerings/If you would like to purchase a Red Hat Network subscription, go to:https://rhn.redhat.com/network/sales/Thanks again for using Red Hat Linux. We appreciate any and all feedback from our users and hope you continue to enjoy your complimentary account with Red Hat Network. If you would like to contact us regarding this e-mail, the services offered by Red Hat Network, or with feedback, please go to:https://rhn.redhat.com/help/contact.pxtThank you again for using Red Hat Linux, and for your continued support of the Open Source community.

Guest ComputerBob

Thanks, LilBambi! After reading your message, I ordered Mandrake Linux 9.1 (3 CD-R) for $6.99 and Knoppix 3.2 (1 CD-R, March 22, 2003 release) for $4.99 from Cheapbytes. :P

Guest LilBambi

ComputerBob --You are very welcome!However, after reading some of the comments from folks that have installed Mandrake 9.1 (specifically KDE problems), you might consider going back to CheapBytes to order Pink Tie 9.0 after April 2nd and giving it a try. It's what is called a Red Hat 9.0 'workalike.' See why CheapBytes can't sell the ISO's with the Red Hat name in the LUGIE (Linux Users Group Inland Empire) Minutes from 11-9-02 - in about the 7th paragraph).CheapBytes is a great value, isn't it? Being stuck in dialup land, it was a God-send :)For several years we were ordering these CD-R ISOs from LSL.com but they sold their business to CheapBytes so I started ordering from them.

Guest ComputerBob

Thanks - I'll do some reading up on Pink Tie 9.0! :P You know, I'm on dial-up, too, but even if I had a broadband connection, it'd probably still be worth it to me to order Linux CDs from CheapBytes. :P

It only takes me about 1 hour per CD to download... I usually setup my FTP program to dl it and I go to bed... and I wake up with a nice present on my hard disk... :) --

Guest LilBambi

Knoppix to the rescue :)There is a great article on Linux and Main - Knoppix to the Rescue that talks about how cool Knoppix is and how an IT guy used it to rescue a Win9x computer that was 'toes up.'There are some things to be aware of, but the article addresses these too. There is also some interesting info on Librenix for Knoppix, other Linux Distros and BSD.I know some of you have said you have tried Knoppix ... would you recommend it? Have you had problems with it doing more advanced type things? Is it strictly a demo?

Lil...You may be green but my pocket is thin... <g> my High speed runs me about $65/mo and that includes a static IP... I figure it's about $25 more a month than dialup (figuring for a dedicated phone line as well...) but it's WELL worth it...I now have RH9 ISO's sitting here burning away as we speak... <g>I also found a technical review of RH 9Technical Review of RedHat 9.0

Guest LilBambi
Lil...You may be green but my pocket is thin...   my High speed runs me about $65/mo and that includes a static IP...  I figure it's about $25 more a month than dialup (figuring for a dedicated phone line as well...) but it's WELL worth it...I now have RH9 ISO's sitting here burning away as we speak... I also found a technical review of RH 9Technical Review of RedHat 9.0
Hey Mike ... Green's not so bad ... it's really my favorite color too :)I am not really complaining, I appreciate my dialup ... thankfully we are actually able to get what they call 'extended local calling area' for about 15 bucks extra a month that makes the call local for us even though there are no providers literally in our standard local calling area.I always joke around about the fact that we can't get any cable/dsl broadband out here in the sticks, and because we work from home, there are times when it would come in very handy. But the cost factor even for the ones that are within 3-6 miles from us (it's all around us, but no one will bring it here!) is still a bit stiff even if the convenience is very nice for downloading large files ... those ongoing monthly payments sure eat 'cha alive! :) But we love it out here and wouldn't trade where we live ... even for broadband :)That's an excellent review of RH9 ... I am still reading it over.It might even provide an answer for Thunder as to why Wine gave him such fits with his last install of RH.

"SuSE Linux AG now plans to ship its SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop operating system in June, a delay from original plans to ship it during the just-ended first quarter. SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, which is in beta testing now, will cost $129 per desktop, although discounts would apply to high-volume purchases, Rafael Laguna, SuSE's marketing vice president, said yesterday. The Nuremburg, Germany-based company's Linux Enterprise Desktop would be its third desktop operating system, joining SuSE Linux, the entry-level member of the family aimed at individual users, and SuSE Linux Office Desktop, which is aimed at small offices with its networking and disk-partitioning capabilities, Laguna said. With many companies using Microsoft Corp.'s Windows as a client to SuSE Linux's server operating system, SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop will offer those companies the option of also running SuSE software on the desktop, Laguna said."

What are people's personal experiences/knowledge of RedHat 9? I got the letter too. But has anyone actually used it yet or gotten early access to it? It's the one I *think* I want to try next.Linux is like sushi. Your try this one, and that one, all of them with weird tongue-twisting names, and after a while, you find that you either love it or hate it ...-- Scot

I always joke around about the fact that we can't get any cable/dsl broadband out here in the sticks, and because we work from home, there are times when it would come in very handy.  But the cost factor even for the ones that are within 3-6 miles from us (it's all around us, but no one will bring it here!) is still a bit stiff even if the convenience is very nice for downloading large files ... those ongoing monthly payments sure eat 'cha alive!  ;) But we love it out here and wouldn't trade where we live ... even for broadband :)
Well... there is a way that you could get it still... depending on if you have a friend within that 3 - 6 mile area that is currently getting it or is interested in splitting it... you could depending on clearances and line of sight use a wireless antenna and connect up... there are a LOT of people doing this... setting up an antenna as a point to point connection... heck.. I've read articles about people going as far as 10 - 20 miles with it... I use my connection nearly every day... and I end up writting off the cost because of the business that I have... (you could too considering that you also work from home...) While I like the country I've goten too used to the high speed and it's on the list of questions to ask of any future homesites...--

A few hours ago, FreeBSD 4.8 has been released. This is possibly the last release in the rock-solid 4.* line.The most interesting new things are firewire support and SCSI emulation for IDE devices (which allows a lot of SCSI software like burning programs to work with IDE devices).Here's the release notes and the errata list.Here's some FTP mirrors:ftp.FreeBSD.orgftp12.FreeBSD.orgftp14.FreeBSD.orgftp.au.FreeBSD.orgftp.es.FreeBSD.orgftp2.de.FreeBSD.orgftp4.de.FreeBSD.orgftp7.de.FreeBSD.orgftp.tw.FreeBSD.orgftp6.tw.FreeBSD.org

Guest LilBambi
Scot I am patiently waiting for RH 9 also - have to get to friends house and download it - all I got is dialup :P
havnblast --Two words for ya: CheapBytes PinkTie They are shipping it now.Here's what they say about their PinkTie CDRs:
The media format of this product is that of a CD-R. Initial shipping of this product will begin on Wednesday, April 2 with orders being processed as quickly as possible in a first in, first out fashion..Looking for low-cost Linux distribution CDs containing a Red Hat 9.0 workalike? Look no further. Get all of the software features of Red Hat 9.0 at a great price to boot!Check out some of the important features of this release.This CD-ROM set includes the 3 Installation CDs. Pink Tie 9.0 has been modified to comply with the Red Hat 9.0 EULA (End User License Agreement) regarding the use of the Red Hat Logo and Trademark and therefore is freely distributable.
Like in DragNet ... Only the name has been changed to protect the innocent according to LUGIE (Linux User Group) :P Maxlor --freeBSD 4.8 is absolutely wonderful! We got it as update to fix sendmail when they released it for the sendmail fix to those already using previous versions of freeBSD and it is well worth it. They really fixed the sendmail things too ... separated out the server and client side of sendmail to prevent outside users from trying to use and abuse your sendmail. Excellent idea.Mike --Not a bad thing to look into ... might go talk to the local high school and see whether they have wireless capabilities and whether they would be interested in becoming an WAP for us - if we can get line of sight :P

Vector Linux SoHo 3.2 is recently out. ( got it already )I ordered my Mandrake 9.1 Power Pack at Mandrake store today.

Guest LilBambi
[quote name='havnblast' date='Apr 4 2003, 10:51 PM']LilBambi  - PinkTie is that a different distribution?  not familiar with it.  I know that  RedHat 9 is not called pinktie.[/quote]havnblast --I know...it sounds confusing, but RedHat has made it a difficult for folks to sell CD-Rs of the RedHat ISO images (at a very cheap amount, meaning hardly more than cost of production and time to copy), with their RedHat name even though it can be downloaded freely from ftp servers ... see below LUGIE Minutes for the details.Pink Tie 9.0 is [url="http://www.cheapbytes.com"]CheapBytes'[/url] Red Hat 9.0 'workalike.' See why CheapBytes can't sell the ISO's with the Red Hat name in the [url="http://www.rdfoerster.com/LUGIE/minutes11-9-02.htm"]LUGIE (Linux Users Group Inland Empire) Minutes from 11-9-02[/url] - in about the 7th paragraph).

:unsure: Is BeOS just another Linux, or is it more like BSD. or is it completely different? I've just been given a 4GB hard drive with BeOS4 on it, I haven't had time to check it out properly yet, it seems very similar to Linux.Joy