Microsoft .NET framework

fuzzy

What is the Microsoft .NET framework, does it do anything useful and is it worth installing?Perhaps everybody except me already knows all about it ! I have come across a couple of bits of software that I would like to have but it says that I must have the .net framework. I am fussy about what I install and a little bit suspicious of "must haves" hence the question.Can someone help me please B)

Thanks for the explanation, EdP. AllI know is that I, too, have a couple of programs that won't run without it so I had to install it. I've had it for about 6 months and have never seen a problem with it but I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't really, really want to run those couple of programs.On the plus side the couple of programs that require are really small so, yeah, it's kind of like a little programming language all its own.

It's MS's answer to Java.
Mmm...yes and no. Java is a runtime environment that uses it's own independent APIs. .NET has a similar purpose, but all it really is is a bunch of extra APIs for the Windows runtime environment.