No Hurricane Maps

lewmur

I'm in a suburb of New Orleans called Metairie. Right now we are trying to keep a close eye on Katarina's progress but can't do it in Linux. None of the maps are visable. I can see them with the ActiveX Firefox extension in Windows but that extension doesn't work in Linux.This is an area I think is in dire need of a "project." Govt agencies, from county level and on up, are creating new sites all of the time involving maps of one sort or another. And none of them can be accessed from Linux.This is by no means intended as a "flame." Just a "headsup" on something I think needs to be addressed.Try this link to see what I mean:http://www.nola.com/hurricane/image.ssf?/h...rts/watch2.html

Edited by lewmur

It's a Micro$oft/Gov't conspiracy, I tell you! :ph34r:I wouldn't blame you if you flamed them to the sky for this. Why couldn't they use something more portable like flash? It has plenty of uses beyond poorly-designed flash-based websites :DBTW, where is this ActiveX control? I can't seem to find it.

Have you tried National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin at www.weather.gov? I don't have any problems at that site. Agree with your basic premise, but unfortunately, what can you expect from the government. :( We'll all be thinking about you tomorrow--hope things are not as dire as predicted.

Edited by ebrke

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?This is the main site. It is completely viewable in Firefox. It is what I always watch during hurricanes. Everything on it is what the basis is for the weather channel and all those others. I only have one bit of advice for you: Batten down the hatches and head northwest! Even I (who has never run from a hurricane) would leave for this one! Run, Forest, Run!Keep us posted and let us know all is well hopefully. :(

Well I guess everyone has heard that N.O. is a total disaster area. I rode it out on the 7th floor of an apt complex. This is the first time I've been able to get a connection on dialup. Working on batteries on my notebook. We have no power or water and the streets are impassable. Looks like another day before they get the water pumped out and several weeks before power is restored.I have a lot of amazing pictures but don't want to use my battery posting them at this time.

Well I guess everyone has heard that N.O. is a total disaster area.  I rode it out on the 7th floor of an apt complex. This is the first time I've been able to get a connection on dialup.  Working on batteries on my notebook.  We have no power or water and the streets are impassable.  Looks like another day before they get the water pumped out and several weeks before power is restored.I have a lot of amazing pictures but don't want to use my battery posting them at this time.

I don't think the worst is over yet. With all the levies failing, it looks like it is taking on a lot of water and a long way from being restored. I have heard mention of even months before they get power back. I am very, very glad to hear that you rode it out ok and are alive and well. :thumbsup: ;) B) You will probably need to set up an account at flickr.com or somewhere like that to share all of your pictures. :thumbsup:

Hi LewGlad you are okay . . . . was worried about you . . . . . I hear that the next problem will be to keep your feet dry . . . I hope this nightmare will be over soon.:) Bruno

Hi LewGlad you are okay . . . . was worried about you . . . . . I hear that the next problem will be to keep your feet dry . . . I hope this nightmare will be over soon.B) Bruno

See my message in the Water Cooler.