Mozilla and FireFox

complete

A lot of people in this forum use firefox. I use it in windows and linux, but it is fun trying other ones as well. There is a sticky in the browser forum with a list of alternatives that are fun to try. I never use IE and encourage my friends not to as well, maybe IE7 fixes some of the security issues, not sure. I tried Opera recently, it has a rather busy interface but it was noticeably faster than anything else I've used. I like the wand feature too, I'm basically lazy though.

I prefer Firefox but I've also installed Maxthon http://www.maxthon.com/ (an IE front end) to use when I go to windows update site. I have in the past used kmeleon http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/ (a slimmed down Mozilla). Mozilla tacks on things I don't need nor use like Netscape Communicator (an email program) and a few other items so that's why I selected kmeleon. Even though hard drives are enourmous, I don't like to add unnecessary programs.

Edited by zlim

What are your opinions of Mozilla, Firefox and alternative browsers compared to IE?

I recently installed the latest version of FF 1.0.6 on my XP. It doesn't perform so well with java based applets compared to IE. And I've got 384 MB RAM - so it's definitely not skimpy by any means. Other than that, its fine. The only time I use IE is when I notice the java applets are sucking up my resources like a melon.

IE = Icky Eeek!Just kidding... "IE" is shorthand for Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser that comes installed along with Windows.Interesting that, since I've started using Firefox, I'm able to run my Win98SE system for a lot longer between reboots and it also runs with quite a bit more stability. When it does crash (which is less often than IE crashes), it doesn't take the entire OS down with it.

I definately go for Firefox over IE. Safer, more standards complient, open source, lots of extentions, and runs on all kinds of machines B)

note that for both FF and Mozilla you can get an extension that allows you to right-click "view this page in IE" for any page that isn't working right in Mozilla or Firefox.Personally I'm a mozilla bigot - used it since NS3.0. any work for browsing. Right now FF/Mozilla is ahead on features (tabbed browsing, etc). IE has to catch up. However, I don't think IE can ever offer the wide range of functionality offered by Mozilla/FF extensions. Also - Mozilla/FF are much less sensitive to malware/j