Rumor: Google IM

epp_b

It says we (Linux users) can connect to GoogleTalk with another client, but evidently GT is Windows only at the moment. Google needs to broaden their horizons. The rest of us want to play, too. :'(

I'm trying in Adium on OS X and i can't get it to connect. I get a 405 Not Allowed error. The password and such is correct...I don't have Tiger to test in iChat. :(Anyone else having problems connecting?----EDITAdium now has a ticket for this: http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/1312

Edited by SonicDragon

This fixed it for me: Deleted gmail account, then recreated unchecking "Use TLS encryption" under the general tab. Log in, and it will fail. I went back in to the account settings, checked that box, and now it connects! WeirdFriend says it works fine on GAIM in windows. :)

Edited by SonicDragon

I set it up in windows and it connected to the server fine, a friend is going to install it today so hopefully I can see what the chat part of it is like :)I'll think I have it set up through gaim with silcnet at least it let me use my google user and paassword so I am assuming it is my google account either that or silcnet is really easy to sign up for

The newspaper here (Courier Mail) reported on Googletalk however they said it will only work on 2000,XP and Server 2003. What possible API calls does Googletalk use that isn't available in Windows 98?Oh well, at least I still have Gaim in Linux. :thumbsup: Shame many of my friends don't have Gmail accounts so Google should start making Gmail open to the international public if they hope to contest MSN. :) BTW, anyone heard of Google's new payment processor?

I know most of you already know this but:If anyone plans on exchanging gmail talk screen names, DO NOT post them here on the forums. Since they are the same as your email address, you risk having your address being picked up by spammers. It's a much safer just to send eachother a private message :unsure: