Home town proud

Peachy

Looks like a good LUG they even have cheap CD´s of distro´s . . . are you a member of the PLUG ?A good review ! Nice website too . . . . you must have some good vibes over there in Peterborough !Sorry Peachy you forgot the Link to the text about Mandrake the Music ManB) Bruno

linuxdude32

Thanks for the publicity, Peachy! And thanks to Bruno and quint for the compliments! I design the website as well as having founded PLUG. The article was written by one our long-time members. :( -- Jason WallworkPresident,Peterborough Linux User Group (PLUG)PLUG Website

Well, look at this, what a nice surprise, welcome Linuxdude32 ! Jason, it''s a real honor to see you on the forum, you did a great job there in Peterborough. And as a real Mandrake / music fan I did enjoy the text about the Music Man. Hope to see you more often here on Scot''s Newsletter Forum, we sure would enjoy your input and expertise. :( Bruno

Thanks for the publicity, Peachy! And thanks to Bruno and quint for the compliments! I design the website as well as having founded PLUG. The article was written by one our long-time members.  :( -- Jason WallworkPresident,Peterborough Linux User Group (PLUG)PLUG Website
Wow. That was quick. Just joined today I see. Welcome!BTW, how'd you come across this forum so quickly? :(

linuxdude32

Bruno Posted on Jun 3 2003, 02:57 AM:

Jason, it''s a real honor to see you on the forum, you did a great job there in Peterborough. And as a real Mandrake / music fan I did enjoy the text about the Music Man. Hope to see you more often here on Scot''s Newsletter Forum, we sure would enjoy your input and expertise.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the friendly welcome and compliment again. I pointed out the forum to the author. He's really excited to see how many posts popped up over the Internet since Distrowatch. It wasn't like being Slasdotted but we got a nice boost in traffic. We have 16 paid-up members of PLUG and 3x that number who get announcements about meetings. Not huge by most standards, but it's finally growing. I'm just an avid computer user (I don't do this stuff for a living right now) but we have members who are system admins, web programmers, a web designer, a retired high school teacher, a retired engineer, a high school student, computer technicians and business owners.I'll watch the forums and help out if I can.Peachy Posted on Jun 3 2003, 08:04 AM:
Wow. That was quick. Just joined today I see. Welcome!BTW, how'd you come across this forum so quickly?
Thanks for the welcome! I found the forum because somebody visited our website from a link here and I was able to use that info in the logs to follow it back.Your site is the only forum I've seen in the logs. The others were news sites that replicated the info from Distrowatch almost word for word. It's amazing to see how informations spreads like that, and so fast! You found the article only 2 days after it was put up.So where are all of you from?-- Jason WallworkPresident, Peterborough Linux User GroupPLUG website

So where are all of you from?
Hi Jason, As far as I know here in the Linux department: Australia, India, US ( the bulk part ), Canada, UK, Germany and myself from Amsterdam. Of course Peachy is from your home town as you will know already.The Forum only started a few month ago and Scot managed to attract a wild variety of people. Most of them here in the Linux forum are brand new happy Linuxers.;) Bruno

i'm one of them, the 'brand new happy Linuxers'. I took the plunge with SuSE 8.2, but I also have Mandrake ISOs on CD if I ever get bored one day and have a few days to kill, but so far, it's been a lot of fun and good experience learning SuSE. Love it!may I ask what's in a typical LUG and how does it work and what do you do in typical meetings? never been to one, never even heard of their existence 'til i read this thread. ;) as for location, I'm from Barrie. only a lake, some rivers and a couple of locks away.

linuxdude32

Prelude76 Posted on Jun 4 2003, 07:02 AM:

i'm one of them, the 'brand new happy Linuxers'. I took the plunge with SuSE 8.2, but I also have Mandrake ISOs on CD if I ever get bored one day and have a few days to kill, but so far, it's been a lot of fun and good experience learning SuSE. Love it!  May I ask what's in a typical LUG and how does it work and what do you do in typical meetings? never been to one, never even heard of their existence 'til i read this thread.
Bruno asked me to do a post in the Tips area so you should see something within a day answering yours and hopefully others questions. By the way, I'm a SuSE user too since version 7.3 which I bought over ebay. I managed to snag 8.1 Professional for review purposes. I used to be devoted Mandrake user right up to Mandrake 8.1 when I switched to SuSE. I just find SuSE more "polished" and more stable, but I have to admit that Mandrake is better with multimedia to start and seems to run on more hardware than SuSE. I had to tweak things before I could rip music off CDs easily. :D By the way, Peachy, since you're in our town, I hope you'll come out and visit us sometime or are you a mystery PLUG member already? :D

Look forward to your input Jason, 90 % of the people here never heard about the existence of LUG´s. Nor of the fact that there might be one in the very city they live. It´s up to you that all those local LUG´s will get a flood of new members these comming days. ;)<_< Bruno

A good review ! Nice website too . . . . you must have some good vibes over there in Peterborough !:) Bruno
Thanks for the compliment Bruno. I appreciate it, but the review wrote itself. Try Mandrake 9.1 if you haven't - the defaults for audio are sweet! The article came about because of an ongoing project involving 5 major distros on one hard drive, and with media, Mandrake stands head and shoulders above the rest (unless you're a real linux guru). Jason encourages us to write, and this time it paid off big for the club.Buster, now a humble internationally acclaimed author (like yea)

Hi Buster nice to hear from you !Welcome to the forum where we try to get as many new Linux users as we can :) must be about 20 in the last 2-3 month !I do know Mandrake, if you read a few other posts you will notice that I´m a big fan of Mandrake and promote it whenever I can. I also run Slackware 9.0, Debian 3.0 and VectorLinux 3.2 ( Canadian I think ) But Mandrake I do since 7.1.Also I´m member of the Mandrake Club and buy PowerPacks of every edition pure out of the wish to support the distro. Thanks for the nice piece of text you wrote about my favorite OS.Buster we hope to see you more often here on the forum, just to hang out, just for fun. or even to help out with the questions the members have trying to keep their distro running.Happy you dropped inB) Bruno