Consumer Reports rates AntiVirus & AntiSpyware

jeffw_00

Best to least best...AntiVirus:PCCillinKasperskySoftwin Bitdefender (who's this?)NortonAvast! (free!) McAfeePandaeTrustAntiSpyware:MicrosoftWebrootEtrust (pestpatrol)Spybot (free!) AdAwareMcafeePcCillinAllume Internet Cleanup============================I have Mcafee AV, but they use Avast at work and it seems good too. They don't mention that Mcafee is free if you watch the flyers....The Antispyware surprised me - how good is Microsoft's getting? Maybe I should toss Adaware or Spybot and use Microsoft instead.Of course, this is consumer reports.....what do you think?/j

I have Mcafee AV, but they use Avast at work and it seems good too.  They don't mention that Mcafee is free if you watch the flyers....
Symantec also runs promotions/ sales on their AV product. You can get Norton AV for free after rebates through major retail chains across the country.
The Antispyware surprised me - how good is Microsoft's getting?  Maybe I should toss  Adaware or Spybot and use Microsoft instead.
Before it was known as MS Antispyware, it was known as Giant - and it was very good. MS obviously saw the effectiveness of the program and bought the company out a couple of years ago realizing how big of a problem spyware was becoming and what a great product Giant was. Ever since they bought it out, they have been continually making improvements to the original source code.
Maybe I should toss  Adaware or Spybot and use Microsoft instead.
There is not one single anti-spyware application that will handle the barrage of trojans, spyware, malware programs out there. It is best to use a combination of several different anti-spyware rather than just one.I use 4 different types of anti-spyware tools plus 1 preventative one called SpyBlaster.
Of course, this is consumer reports.....what do you think?/j
For as long as i have been into computers, I have seen countless number of these reviews. Some of them are skewed so that the results favor one program/ utility over another. A review might be a good guideline in deciding which utiliyt to use or purchase, but should never be used as the "Bible" or absolute truth. Edited by Tushman

Guest LilBambi

Viruses and spyware/malware change so much, that's very true.One week one will do it better, and the next another will.I don't think we will ever see the definitive "this is the all time best app to use' -- always in motion is the future.Having stated that, I just stick with avast! and 4 different antispyware programs, none of which is Microsoft's Antispyware because one of the ones I use is Sunbelt's CounterSpy -- and they can not be on the same computer. (They are based on the same Giant engine and there have been some issues if you run them both.)I also use Webroot's Spy Sweeper, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Personal SE, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder, and SpywareBlaster as a preventative -- I update them and run them about once a week.In addition, even on my own system I use CCleaner, MSVP - WinHelp HOSTS file (link is in a stickied thread of its own here in Security and Networking) and several other items as needed.For cleaning up computers, there are many tools to use in addition to this depending on the situation including but certainly not limited to HiJackThis!Links to all these programs are in the following article on my newsletter site:Spyware and other Pest Control and Removal Programs and other Tools (updated: August 8, 2005)Still have more to add, such as WinPatrol and others.

I think Consumer Reports is simply too generic to be able to supply an accurate review of just about any product. Then again, reviews from those in the specifics (such as PCMag or PCWorld) are skewed by payouts and advertising.There's really only one opinion you can trust on these kinds of things: your own (or a good geek friend of yours :unsure:)

I gotta ask - I have 5 PCs and two teenagers. I run adaware/adwatch and spybot, but since I ran them originally they find virtually NOTHING - like nothing for weeks on end, so much that I'm thinking of turning adwatch off as it's a bit of a pain. what sites are you guys visiting that I'm notOR - is it because I use the mvps hosts file, which, I really believe, is the BEST protectiion (since even if you get spyware it can't phone home).but really - if you need to run 4 different sweepers, what's different at your house than mine?8-}/j

Guest LilBambi

It's called insurance. I am a computer tech, so I need to know what they all do on different Windows OSes.I also want to make sure nothing happens on my computers.I never see anything either these days ... like your situation with the HOSTS file in place, it really has cut down on things.I am very careful browser, and I use Firefox. But there are times when I need to do research and you may not always know what you are in for in search results.As far as AV goes, avast! does the trick on catching anything before it gets in my inbox.But nothing is foolproof ... ever. So I just do my checks to be sure ... there are so many new things out there every day that you can't let your guard down ... and no single program or HOST file can catch everything.

A good HOSTS file definately helps. Honestly, though, your best defense is "digital street sense". On Windows 98SE, I use the basic necessities: Windows updates, a firewall (ZA), an antivirus (NAV), and a good HOSTS file (MVPS) ...no anti-spyware applications.With these tools and knowing how to identify and stay out of the "bad neighborhoods", you can be pretty safe online.

Hmm....... I wonder why neither AVG nor Nod32 was included in their testing?  :unsure:

Exactly!!Nod32 imho is the best paid software you can get. It's not full of bloat crap like Norton and has a 100% track record for 5 years.Nod32 is all I recommend to people.Microsoft Antispyware is great program and highly recommend it, might have to check out Counterspy tho

Exactly!!Nod32 imho is the best paid software you can get.  It's not full of bloat crap like Norton and has a 100% track record for 5 years.
100% as reported by whom?

Any opinions on the Virus Bulletin? You need to register to view the test results.http://www.virusbtn.com/Most of the a/v programs tested consistently score 100%. And VB also describes the methodology used for testing purposes.Fran:I've been testing a program called HitMan Pro2 [English is supported during install] http://www.hitmanpro.nl/ and recently installed it on a new clients machine to see how it would work. As you are well aware, trying to get our clients to run mutliple programs and keep their spyware protections updated, is sometimes difficult.HMP2 auto scripts the running and updating of Lavasoft's AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster. Plus you can set it to also run Disk Cleanup during the process. So the client only needs to start HMP2 and in about 20 minutes it's done with it's chores, including deleting any critters it may find.If you do decide to try it , please let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rons

'Consumer Reports' State of the Net' survey. U.S. Newswire While some may say that Consumer Reports are not technology experts no one can accuse them of being biased unlike some of the technology experts we read. They receive NO money from any advertizers or manufacturers of the products they test.

Edited by EdP

If you do decide to try it , please let me know what you think.  :thumbsup:

Rons,I take it you are the creator of the software? Here are my comments for what it's worth. I think the program overall is fine, but the user menus (or wording) could be laid out better. The current configuration leaves the user confused on what the tab menus are and what the action is if he/she checks a menu item such as Spybot Search & Destroy.I really had to stare it for a while to figure out what all the tab menu settings were for and how to set it up for my current configuration. When I clicked on "Start", I thought i was updating only the definition files for the programs I had checked earlier.Much to my disappointment I realized it was downloading and installing the actual program like Spybot & Ad Aware. I already use those utilities so it was a waste of time for me to carry through that step. And I feared that stopping it in the middle of the DL and install phase might corrupt my current installation, so i let it continue w/out interruption.Perhaps you should have some type of wording in there where it says "Please (check) select the programs below to download and install on your PC"; this way a first time user will understand this step is carried out only in situations where such utilities are not installed already. Likewise, in the 'Protection' tab menu, provide some type of verbage like: "Select from the list below which anti-spyware programs are already installed on your system."In the first tab "Profiles" there is nothing there that explains what the first 3 radio buttons are for: 1) Recommended Settings 2) Install Passive.... 3) Custom Settings. I think you should provide a help file or some type of description that clearly explains to the user what those settings are used for. Edited by Tushman

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like it might be worth looking into Rons, once they get their english language translation going. :)Consumer Reports didn't compare all the players either. Oh, well.And I totally disagree with their assessment that MS AntiSpyware is the best.It was the best for free until they changed abunch of stuff to Ignore that shouldn't be set to Ignore.

My opinion on CU...If you're totally ignorant on a subject/product, they don't recommend junk. It's probably safe to follow their advice, but don't be too disappointed if you find out that something else would have been better.If you're an advanced user or an expert, you can probably do better yourself.Look at the top rated dial-up ISP provider in the same issue....and laugh.

Sorry for making that assumption Rons. ;)

No problem. I tought it was a nice compliment. :) I'm sorry I didn't let you know about the install process. It slipped my mind, since the last install was on a system that didn't have any of the monitored software. I'm going to let the author know about this problem since it is confusing.Even though the install process could be improved upon, the program itself runs very well. Have you tried it? :hmm:

I downloaded and installed Hitman. Didn't like it and uninstalled it using the Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs option. After the uninstall completed I still had the dll it installed, the GroupPolicy folder it installed (and I have XP Home which doesn't use it) and the complete program folder it installed. The only thing that appeared to be removed by the uninstall was the uninstall option in the Control Panel. Before installing and trying this sw make sure you really like it and intend on using it or have a good backup and System Restore point set. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber since around 1981, almost 25 years.First, the magazine has gone markedly downhill over the last 10 years. It devotes less and less space to explaining why it rates things they way it does, how it tests, and giving specific details about specific products. It's a shame, because it truly is objective in the sense that no company is paying CR for anything. Unfortunately, it is also completely subject in that it's a jack of many trades, and master of none. A lot of its articles are formulated by staff editors who may have their own axe to grind.In the 80s and 90s, CR became so enamored of Toyota that it could not do a comparison auto test without gushing all over whatever Toyota model was in the mix. Even though Honda, Nissan, and others made equally reliable automobiles that were often a lot more fun to drive. The Toyota, Toyota, Toyota thing was obvious to me, as a car buff. I like Toyotas too, but they're not perfect vehicles.When you read CR's advice about computers, it becomes painfully clear that its editorial staff doesn't know really all that much about them. I've learned to ignore the computer advice and test results. For many years, they were star-struck about the Mac, although that's under better control these days. The one thing I think CR does do pretty well is rate the reliability of computers and how well their makers support these products. No one else does this like CR. They do it with other goods too, and I would definitely pay attention to that data.All that said, I thought Consumer Report's AV tests and results were ludicrous. On the other hand, I think there's some truth to the notion that most of these products do a decent job of defending against viruses. AV has become a bit of a commodity, and what really matters, I think, are the convenience features, and the reliability of the product. Symantec has not kept pace in that regard. They still stuff value into every box they sell; but I'm moving more and more away from Symantec. It's not listening to customers who don't want it to slice and dice -- they just want something that works, doesn't have too big a footprint, and doesn't give you funky error messages and have problems with activation and installation. Right now I'm testing Panda. I'll probably try living with Avast next. I've installed and played with all the known AV products (including the ones CR missed); but I haven't actually lived with them on my production machine in a few years. I'm undertaking a search for the best AV package. I don't think Panda is it, btw.I actually thought CR's antispyware results were spot on for once. I believe the the Microsoft product and the Webroot product are the two best antispyare products on the market right now. As LilBambi said, you can't trust any one of these products, though. Running two or three is the best plan. I prefer Microsoft's product for real-time anti-spyware defense. I don't really like Webroot's UI, but the product does a good job and has been rated highly by a number of independent tests. I have it installed on several of my machines. Sunbelt Software's CounterSpy is another variant of the Giant Software product, like Microsoft's AntiSpyware. In fact, Microsoft, which purchased Giant (Sunbelt licensed the software) supplies the anti-spyware updates to CounterSpy.I was a big Spybot and Ad-aware user, but it doesn't seem as though those two products have really kept pace. Of the two, I would trust Spybot more, and I prefer Ad-aware's UI.Anyway, my two cents.-- Scot

Wow -Scot - imagine you posting here! first time you've graced one of my threads! 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} surely you're not saying that CR is right only when they agree with you 8-} I have to give the uSoft antispyware a try - do you recommend Adaware and Spybot in addition? or will one or the other suffice?BTW - I'm also unhappy with CR compared to years ago., and agree with all of your comments.

You sort of caught me part way through my post. I made it live then changed it a lot and added to it. (The writer in me.) Anyway, I think I answered some of your questions already. And ...But of course, CR is only right when they agree with me!-- Scot

• 1 year later...
rmiller1959
You sort of caught me part way through my post. I made it live then changed it a lot and added to it. (The writer in me.) Anyway, I think I answered some of your questions already. And ...But of course, CR is only right when they agree with me!-- Scot
Hi, Scot, I followed your recommendation to use smaller dedicated security apps vs. a security suite for my main system, and I'm glad I did. I'm very pleased with NOD32 and I'm waiting for the Comodo firewall to be released in a Vista version. I presume that the combination of NOD32 and Windows Defender ought to be an unbeatable malware protection scheme. I also have the ZoneAlarm Z100G router with built-in antivirus protection for added security. I'm running Norton NIS 2007 on my family's computers right now, but I may take the same approach with theirs in the future.BTW, Is the Microsoft product that CR rates highly for malware protection the same as Windows Defender in Vista?Are you considering a review of standalone spam filters for your next security software assessment? I use Outlook 2007 as my e-mail program, and it's built in junk-mail filters seem to work fine, but they do miss a few things here and there. I wondered if there was a good standalone antispam package out there that could augment Outlook's native tools.Thanks for your advice!Regards,Ron

Hello,Do you happen to know the issue or volume of Consumer Reports this was printed in? I know they reviewed anti-virus software earlier this year. Is this something newer than that article?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky