About to install RedHat -- 1st time Linux!

Steve_H

Yay Steve I hope it goes well. If it's anything like Mandrake, it will just do it. It has to be the least painfull OS I have ever installed. <_<

Looks we´re out of the woods Steve, glad you gave Nero a try . . . . . I have to bookmark that link somewhere . . lot´s of people have ISO-burn problems ( mostly because windows ¨IMAGES¨ are not the same as Linux ¨ISO´s¨ ).We´re waiting for you to post using RedHat now !<_< Bruno

YAAAWWN. I've been up all night switching disks (too excited to sleep, I guess). It was cool that RH supplied a brief summary of all the packages (files?) it was installing. All is installed and the computer is now rebooting. It was a dream to set up. Easy as pie -- and I've never made pie. I will not be posting from the Linux machine -- it has a winmodem -- but I'll get back after work, play with the system, and set down on these pages the steps I went through so others could learn from them. Thanks, Bruno, Peachy, and you-know-who-you-are for your help! <_< Steve H

Congrats Steve !!!!

Easy as pie -- and I've never made pie.
See nothing to get worked up about . . . we told you it was easy !So all of us crossing our fingers did help in the end, did it ?Have fun with your RedHat SteveB) Bruno

YAAAWWN. I've been up all night switching disks (too excited to sleep, I guess). It was cool that RH supplied a brief summary of all the packages (files?) it was installing. All is installed and the computer is now rebooting. It was a dream to set up. Easy as pie -- and I've never made pie. I will not be posting from the Linux machine -- it has a winmodem -- but I'll get back after work, play with the system, and set down on these pages the steps I went through so others could learn from them. Thanks, Bruno, Peachy, and you-know-who-you-are for your help!  :) Steve H
Steve_H, here is your prize:18.jpgWhat did Rod Stewart sing? "...and you wear it well..." :)

I will not be posting from the Linux machine -- it has a winmodem -- but I'll get back after work, play with the system, and set down on these pages the steps I went through so others could learn from them.
Congrats Steve!But don't give up on the winmodem! If George and I can both install the drivers in RH9 and get it to work, you can too. Just tell us the make and model and we can help you there. :)

How I installed Red Hat 9 Linux on my Compaq Presario 5160. -- I downloaded the files and burned them on my Sony Vaio (XP Home). Then the CDs were inserted in the Compaq desktop (Win 98) to install Linux on the Compaq. It was my intention to overwrite the Win98 OS and replace it with Linux rather than doing a dual boot.This page sums up everything I did to get Red Hat 9 installed and running.1. Checked Red Hat web site for hardware compatibility.http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/hcl/-- I checked my system by looking at my manuals and running Compaq and Windows diagnostics. 2. Downloaded iso files to hard drive (600+MB each).http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/-- iso files are "images" of the files you'll need that fit one iso file per disc.3. Downloaded check sum file [md5sum (string of numbers)] from same location as iso files.http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/-- To make sure the iso files were downloaded perfectly, compare this file's numbers with the numbers generated by the check sum checker following.4. Downloaded check sum checker and installed it.http://www.md5summer.org/5. Ran check sum checker on the iso image files and compared against the check sum file.6. Downloaded Nero CD burner and installed it.http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#download-- If I burned the iso image files with Windows' default CD burner, they would be burned as iso files, which are not suitable for booting from. So I downloaded Nero, which recognizes image files and burns them correctly, separating all the files properly.7. Burned iso image files to CD with Nero.8. Inserted CD into Compaq Presario CD-ROM and booted up.-- I thought I needed to press F10 to change the BIOS settings, but there were no settings for changing the bootup drive. It turns out that the Compaq read the CD drive boot info and booted from the CD with no problems. It was exciting when the Red Hat logo showed up in place of the Windows screen.9. Download manuals from Red Hat site.http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/-- As I am finding out, Linux does things very differently than Windows!Steve H

But don't give up on the winmodem! If George and I can both install the drivers in RH9 and get it to work, you can too. Just tell us the make and model and we can help you there.  :blink:
I have an old Rockwell modem card. I just plugged it in and rebooted. Linux recognized it and configured it automatically! Later I'll run a line in and try out the internet. By the way, which folder is my A:/ drive? Which is my CD-ROM drive? I've only just downloaded the documentation. Haven't read it yet. Steve H

By the way, which folder is my A:/ drive? Which is my CD-ROM drive? I've only just downloaded the documentation. Haven't read it yet. Steve H
Your floppy is mounted under /mnt/floppy and your CD-ROM will be under /mnt/cdrom. Now if you boot into X Windows it will automount your CDs. You can manually mount/unmount both devices from the console with the mount command:mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppymount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdromunmount them, i.e., prepare them for removal from your system by using umount and the filesystem folder under /mnt.

I have an old Rockwell modem card. I just plugged it in and rebooted. Linux recognized it and configured it automatically! Later I'll run a line in and try out the internet.
Looks like you´re lucky Steve, the old Rockwell cards are one of the few that does actualy work in Linux !Aslo thanks for the nice description of the install process you gave us, I think I will make that into a post in The Tips, it looks like information every Linux Starter could benefit from.Have fun with your RedHat Steve !:blink: Bruno