Missing commands

jong357

Well.... I'm trying to help someone compile a modem driver. Yes, It's the old dreaded Winmodem issue.... We untar it, configure, make, make install just fine... Need to run insmod pctelinsmod ptserialdepmod -aNone of those are recognizable commands.... Any ideas? I'm gonna go googling. I'll check back... ThanksJon

Well.... I'm trying to help someone compile a modem driver. Yes, It's the old dreaded Winmodem issue.... We untar it, configure, make, make install just fine... Need to run insmod pctelinsmod ptserialdepmod -aNone of those are recognizable commands.... Any ideas? I'm gonna go googling. I'll check back... ThanksJon
Since you like Google (as I do):insmod pctelinsmod ptserialdepmod -aHappy Googling. :D

Make sure you are doing this as root since normal users won't even have read access to those commands!

Well, those commands should have worked as is. I got them working by doing this:/sbin/insmod pctelThen we get this error stating that the kernel was compiled with gcc 3.2 and the modem driver was compiled with 2.9... This is known not to work....Alright you little ba****d..... I told him to do this... At his own risk by the way...../sbin/insmod -f pctel/sbin/insmod -f ptserial/sbin/depmod -aThen we had to edit /etc/modules.conf so they would load on every boot up.....This poor guy has been posting on this for weeks on multiple diffirent forums.... He is REALLY new to Linux... Everyone got pissy with him cause he kept getting all the commands mixed up and he is REALLY pushy and overly imature sounding when he writes...... I even got pissy with him once until I read a post on another forum by him.... He has a really bad learning disability.... He was wondering why no one wanted to help him......Needless to say, I took him under my wing.....I felt like the biggest shmuck that ever walked the planet and started to help him with learning Linux commands and got Red Hat talking to Xp so he could copy instructions down instead of hand writting them (he has to boot into Xp to get online.. Dual boot, no printer)... He has even more persistence than George if you can believe that..... Over 200 posts, 3 diffirent threads, 3 diffirent forums...We are SOOOOOO close!!!!! I'm really thinking we are going to have unresolved symbols after forcing those modules..... Eh, we'll see....George, he is using a PCTEL Platinum V.90 modem. "pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz" is the correct file..... He is using Red Hat 9... The driver says it only supports up to the 2.4.18 kernel and I told him that. RH9 uses 2.4.20-8.... We are trying it anyway...

Hi jong357Have a look at This thread, we had more or less the same problem with the wrong gcc version and the error ¨This is known not to work....¨ well in the end it did not work, ¨ The driver says it only supports up to the 2.4.18 kernel and I told him that. RH9 uses 2.4.20-8.... ¨ also that is very familiar to the situation with conexant . . only we stopped at 161 posts . . I know, a thread like that don´t make you happy . . . can´t see the name conexant for a long time to come without making myself really $#%@ . . depresseng thread to read though !:D Bruno

muckshifter

I’m not being funny or anything, but why don’t you just tell him to get an external Com2 Modem?I can feel for this guy “He has a really bad learning disability†… “Everyone got pissy with him ‘cause he kept getting all the commands mixed up…†its my experience that you don’t need to be ‘hampered’ with a learning difficulty for Linux users to get peeved at you.… and no, I’m NOT going to try again, I’ve got no hair left.

Yea, I told him to go buy an external serial modem..... He has no money. And Bruno, DON"T jinx us!!!! :D I am confident this will work. I WILL NOT take no for an answer. Well, I would but that's not really my point.. We'll see... He is getting his beauty sleep right now. Just waiting for him to force-load the modules and then we'll set up the Network Connection.... I'll have to read that post.. I've noticed you working on that for the past week or more..... I was hiding from that thread on purpose...... :P I am feeling the same way about ALL modem threads..... Actually, I may just buy him an external modem and send it to him if this doesn't work.... He is going to get online with Red Hat one way or the other......... I made him a little FAQ in anticipation of our smashing sucess... I might as well post it. Who knows if anyone could ever use it someday..... How to Install a PCTEL Modem Driver on Linux (2.4x Kernel)1. Install "Development Tools" and "Kernel Development"(RH Button/System Settings/Packages)Open up a Terminal Window:[dsanta@localhost dsanta]$ cp /mnt/cdrom/pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz /home/dsanta[dsanta@localhost dsanta]$ tar zxvf pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz[dsanta@localhost dsanta]$ cd pctel-0.9.6[dsanta@localhost pctel-0.9.6]$ ./configure --with-hal=pct789 --with-kernel-includes=/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include[dsanta@localhost pctel-0.9.6]$ make[dsanta@localhost pctel-0.9.6]$ suPassword:[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# make install[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# /sbin/insmod -f pctel[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# /sbin/insmod -f ptserial[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# vi /etc/modules.conf------------------------------------------------------------Hit the "I" key and then make a new line(enter) and Paste this into it:"alias char-major-62 ptserial"Press "ESC" and then hold down "SHIFT" and press "Z" twice"------------------------------------------------------------[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# /sbin/depmod -a[root@localhost pctel-0.9.6]# exit[dsanta@localhost dsanta]$ exitIt took me awhile to figure out all that crap.... The 2 arguement configure command was the roughest. It couldn't find modversion.h or something. That and "insmod" just didn't want to work..... And then it started whining about gcc when I did get it to work.... I CERTAINLY am not going to help him recompile his Kernel with 2.9 instead of 3.2.... My understanding is that you will break alot of stuff that's dependent on 3.2......Wish us luck.....Jon

Jon. certainly I do wish you luck !!!I just gave up yesterday, that's why the pain is so fresh and the wound still bleeding . . . . . could not help to vent my miscontent . . . .but, I wish you all the patience in the world to get this thing solved. Did not really want to discourage you . . . . I'm not easy at giving up either . . . I''d say: hold on Jon, looks like you''re on the right way and you do hear of PC-tel supported Linux drivers . . . . I know Mandrake gave it a try, but don''t know how far they got !Would you not just @#$% those modem makers to force them to make their drivers Open Source ?Good luck Jon, my thoughts are with you. Crossing my fingers. Keep us posted !!:D Bruno

Bruno, for some reason, I can envision you lying on a therapists black leather couch over hodgy's modem deal..... I bet you already have an appointment for today, huh? :D Hang in there guy!!!! You can work through this one!!!

Jon, do you know the exact model of this guy's PCTel modem? If he can get you the hardware vendor ID string that could be a good start. Also, check this compatibility page if you haven't already.

Bruno, for some reason, I can envision you lying on a therapists black leather couch over hodgy's modem deal..... I bet you already have an appointment for today, huh? :(  Hang in there guy!!!! You can work through this one!!!
Thank you Jon, just need a few days in a SPA somewhere . . . . . a nice massage of the neck . . . . . a large bubble bath with pretty girls . . :D . . . . some nice health food . . . . and I will be as good as new ! :unsure: :blink: :D Bruno

Bruno, for some reason, I can envision you lying on a therapists black leather couch over hodgy's modem deal..... I bet you already have an appointment for today, huh? :(  Hang in there guy!!!! You can work through this one!!!
He's not on his back in any shrink's office! :unsure: penguin-dreams2.jpgThis is his "therapy". :D :blink: :D

Quint, man you´re a genius, you can read my mind ! I will use that one as desktop background . . . that will relax me . . . . . and it is already so warm here today . . . better go and take a cold shower now . . . :( :unsure: :( :( :blink: :D :D Bruno