Scanner Problems

georgeg4

I'm Back again <_< This time it's the scanner I tried both the scanner app and the Scan & OCR Program and neither one will detect the scanner although the printer is configured and working just fine . ( It is a HP All in One OfficeJet V40 )

Thanks quint I will check it out . I am going to download the upgrades tonite and the rpm may be included in that download

GeorgeA Linux Scanner Refresher Course with a link to the RedHat hw database that is what you want Here it is !:unsure: Brunoogle

GeorgeA Linux Scanner Refresher Course with a link to the RedHat hw database that is what you want Here it is !B) Brunoogle
Bruno, that is a great site...a lot more info in addition to scanners, thanks. ;)

i do have xsane installed Bruno . When I went to the sane page it has a section on telling your kernel know what scanner to use . I tried the command < modprobe scanner vendor= 03f0 product=0f11> and recieved the bash: command not foundAlso on a few others to find my ven id and prod id i get the message permission denied and I am logged in as root

Does xsane not have a GUI where you can do those things ? Or in the ¨Redhat Control Center¨ (?)B) Bruno

GeorgeI can not find any info on the HP All in One OfficeJet V40 in the Hardware database of RedHat . . . looks like you´re already real lucky that it prints, scanning seems to be an issueThis is what I found on google. ( suppose you found that yourself too ) There it says that sane should work with the V40 !Another sane HP linkB) Bruno

I think the problem is that the printer is supported by RH but not the scanner portion so I believe I will hook up my old flatbed scanner and use that . It is a mustek and they are supported.

Hey George... Try/sbin/modprobeOne thing I've found with Redhat is that if it's not in bin, you have to specify.... Otherwise you will get that unrecognized command.This was my whole deal withinsmoddepmodand quite a few others.....Jon

I tried Jon and here is what I got[georgeg4@localhost georgeg4]$ suPassword:[root@localhost georgeg4]# /sbin/modprobemodprobe: Nothing to load ???Specify at least a module or a wildcard like \*[root@localhost georgeg4]# /sbin/modprobe/usb/scanner.0bash: /sbin/modprobe/usb/scanner.0: Not a directory [root@localhost georgeg4]# /sbin/modprobe scanner vendor=03f0 product=0f11/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: invalid argument syntax forvendor: 'f'/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o failed/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: insmod scanner failed[root@localhost georgeg4]#The vendor and product numbers I got from a search on my machine

Hi GeorgeWhere did you find this info:

scanner vendor=03f0 product=0f11
I´d like to have a look there.B) Bruno

Bruno you have to forgive my mind. I found it on my machine with a search command that I got either from source forge or xsane site but i don't know which .And of course I forget the command also LOL . it was something like <dmsg> . I tried to find it again but I can't .I went through so many pages trying to find the driver that I kind of got lost . And then after I found and downloaded it it was allready on my machine B)

it was something like dmsg
Look in the Tips page 9 at the bottom, there you will find the dmesg command.Also the command to print a textfile to your /home/george directory. If you find the part where those codes are mentioned: paste them in your next post !( Psssst: the command is: dmesg >message.txt )B) Bruno

I don't know how I did it Bruno but I got them totally wrong here is the right infousb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x2) is not claimed by any active driver.usb.c: registered new driver usblpprinter.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0F11printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driverSCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...usb.c: registered new driver usb-storagescsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Vendor: LEXAR CF Model: READER Rev: 1.00 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02I added the card reader as well because I cant seem to get that to work either .

0x5dc/0x2 OR 0x03F0 / 0x0F11
Looks to me these are the numbers you are looking for.So try this:/sbin/modprobe scanner vendor=0x5dc product=0x2or /sbin/modprobe scanner vendor=0x03F0 product=0x0F11B) Bruno

Ok now all I get is a new prompt[root@localhost georgeg4]# /sbin/modprobe scanner vendor=0x5dc product=0x2[root@localhost georgeg4]#

That´s good George, means that the module is loaded . . . try your scanner. Or try the other command and see what happens.B) Bruno

I don't know if you happened to reboot after loading that module. Or even if that was the right one. Bruno is right. Should be one of those two. I'm pretty sure that you will have to edit your etc/modules.conf if you want the scanner to load on every bootup..... Otherwise, you have to do it on every boot up.When you guys get this worked out, I can make a script you can run that will load it for you. You'll just have to type "scanner" at a prompt. I'm getting ahead of you guys tho... Sorry... Good luck.Jon

I tried both of them and neither one worked . However I seem to be having the same thing with the driver as I had with the modem driver before . When I try to uninstall it it says it is not loaded but if I try to install it it says it is allready installed . But I never got a conf screen when I first tried to install it .The driver is hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpmI tried to install it using <rpm -i hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm>to uninstall I used <rpm -e hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm>when that failed I used <rpm -e --noscripts --force --allmatches hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm.and that failed to uninstall it as well

I tried both of them and neither one worked . However I seem to be having the same thing with the driver as I had with the modem driver before . When I try to uninstall it it says it is not loaded but if I try to install it it says it is allready installed . But I never got a conf screen when I first tried to install it .The driver is hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpmI tried to install it using <rpm  -i hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm>to uninstall I used        <rpm  -e hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm>when that failed I used <rpm -e --noscripts --force --allmatches hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm.and that failed to uninstall it as well
georgeg4,Hope you get it figured out; noticed - I think - some differences in what you tried, and Bruno's RPM Install tip:
INSTALLING SOFTWARERPMRPM stands for RedHat Package Management, but is pretty universal and used in modern Distro's. In many cases a simple click on the RPM icon will open a GUI for easy installation. Sometimes you can even do a test-install to see if all dependencies are correct.For the commandline we have: ( assuming we want to install samba-2.2.1a-4 )< rpm -ihv samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm > ( will install the package )< rpm -Uhv samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm > ( will upgrade the package )< rpm -e samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm > ( delete the package )< rpm -l samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm > ( will list the files in the package )< rpm -ql samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm > ( will list the files and state the installed version of the package )Imagine the install returns that there are some libs missing, and you know for sure that they are there: In most cases you can force an install, or tell it to ignore dependencies.< rpm -ihv samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm --force >< rpm -ihv samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm --nodeps >Upgrading:First have a look what's installed,< rpm qa | grep samba >this will return,samba-common-2.2.1a-4samba-client-2.2.1a-4samba-2.2.1a-4uninstall. ( leave the dependencies as they are )< rpm -e samba-common-2.2.1a-4 --nodeps >< rpm -e samba-client-2.2.1a-4 --nodeps >< rpm -e samba-2.2.1a-4 --nodeps >install the upgrade, ( with or without --force )< rpm -ivh samba-2.2.7-3.7.2.rpm >< rpm -ivh samba-client-2.2.7-3.7.2.rpm >< rpm -ivh samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.2.rpm >
Good fortune to you,

George, tell me what´s the score ?Did you get the drivers uninstalled in the end ? And what was wrong with those you had ?And where did you find : --noscripts --force --allmatches ??? ( to me --force --nodeps looks enough arguments )rpm -e --nodeps hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm --forceB) BrunoPS: Where did you get that package ? I get:

No package found of name hpoj-0.90-14.i386.rpm

Bruno I got the command from an old linux manual I have . I guess I should throw it out it is probably outdated . It goes back to RH4 .And I got the package from source forge .I have worse problems now . ( see my new post )

RH4 ? there are still a few commands in there you could use George . . . . . .but try to get yourself a more recent edition, you could have more fun reading that. Rushing over to the other thread.<_< Bruno

• 3 weeks later...

I had similar problems on RH8 dual-boot with Win2k & Win98... "fixed" it accidently when I decided to quit MS and boot directly to RH as primary. I use the multi-boot option in Win2k, just made RH8 the first choice and everything works fine (well, except that I can't get RH to consistently load the ide-scsi drivers for my CD-ROM/CD-RW, but that's a different issue). Can't explain why this fixed it, but it did (my 2c worth). Otto