Released: VectorLinux 5.1 "Standard"

Bruno

Next to the previously released SOHO version 5.0.1 there now is the standard version of 5.1 ( only 390 MB ) . . . from Distrowatch:

VectorLinux 5.1 "Standard" has been released: "The developers of VectorLinux are proud to announce that the latest version, 5.1 Standard Edition, is available from our FTP site and the various mirrors. We think you will find this a fast, easy-to-install and very robust operating system that can be used on older hardware and new as well. Slackware is our core and we bring many things to the table that a modern desktop should have, like auto hardware configuration, the latest 2.6.x kernel, automounting of USB devices, and a real package management with dependency checking...."
So if you have old hardware and want a blazing fast disto: ( With three light weight window managers IceWM, Xfce4 and fluxbox )ISO: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/vec.../VL-5.1-std.isoChecksum: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/vec...-std.md5sum.txtRelease announcment: http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=30For the wifi users: ndiswrapper_drivers-1.0-noarch-4vl5.tgz ;):whistling: Bruno

Here is the default desktop:. . . . Mini-Vec-51.jpg . . << Click to enlarge Kernel 2.6.12 . . . and have a look at that "Utilities" section in the menu ;):D Bruno

• 5 weeks later...
misunderstruck

I installed Vector on a Compaq laptop (which is somewhere between 5 and 7 years old) with a Pentium III processor and 128MB of RAM and it is running quite well. Before that we had Fedora Core 2 and it crawled. Now it boots as fast as my Pentium M 2 1/2 year old Gateway did with Mandrake, though not quite as fast as the Gateway boots now with Gentoo. Straightforward, relatively easy installation, good basic package selection, excellent add-on resources with slapt-get and vlapt, plus (most importantly) this old laptop runs almost as well as either of the newer computers in the apartment. Bruno is right -- this is a killer choice for older hardware.

securitybreach

Not as far as I can tell. Its very nice except I am having problems with crossover installing office xp and office 2000. Keep hanging on after the tag saying installing Microsoft Office. As much as I hate windows I need access for class.Thanks

Running from VL5.1 now, and very nice it is too. I definitely like the Xfce desktop.And no, it's only an install CD, not Live. Still the full install only used 1Gb of disk space.I'm a bit stuck on editing config files as root. vi seems to act differently somehow. And I can't work out how to launch a GUI editor as root.Still, a good first impression! :ermm:

Sunrat, have you tried:In a terminal window, su<password>kate filename.txtorgedit filename.txt(or any other GUI editor that vector comes with).

Hi SunratThe tool I mostly use ( as root or as user ) in Vector is the MC . . . . . . makes all the edits you have to do super easy . . . . So just do "su" and then type "mc" and the rest will be easy as cake :DB) Bruno

Update... first download failed. I was using a bad mirror i guess. I didn't see that you posted the nluug link bruno! I'm downloading from there now and getting 440 Kb/sec!Thanks B)

Install was a breeze!xorg failed to auto configure... but that happens everytime i install something. Once i remembered i had to run xorgconfig as root, it was smooth sailing. I'm posting from it now. Auto configured my internet connection too :)My one complaint - the default XFCE theme looks like windows!!!B)

misunderstruck
My one complaint - the default XFCE theme looks like windows!!!

Well, there's always Fluxbox. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can try out the new Enlightenment! Check out this thread and this one too from the Vector Linux forums for more info. I got E17 up and running smoothly on the Pentium III laptop.I also installed Vector on two Pentium II 266MHz desktops (w/ 320MB and 144MB of RAM) today as well. They are running well so far!

securitybreach

Vector 5.1 standard is a great distro, but it is missing alot of needed libraries. Not to run KDE or Gnome, but for instance I couldnt install some applications under crossover. It is not because of Vector because I have Vector 5.0 installed with no problems with crossover. It is probably something simple I did not know about, but its gone now. Thanks

In a terminal window,su<password>kate filename.txt
Yes that doesn't work.
The tool I mostly use ( as root or as user ) in Vector is the MC
Cheers, I'll try that next. (in Suse ATM)I also had trouble with install at xorgconfig. All went blank for a while. Ended up rebooting and finshed config from there.

Really enjoing this distro for a couple of reasons:- potent yet user friendly install routine- one of the few which accepted 1280 x 1024 outta the box (no xorg configuring)- Vector Administration GUI- recent kernel 2.6.12.2

Edited by arcturus

I also had trouble with install at xorgconfig. All went blank for a while. Ended up rebooting and finshed config from there.

You have to use "vasm" as root to (re)configure X . . . . . so just open a terminal, type "su" . . give your root-password and then type "vasm" ;)B) Bruno