WYSIWYG free html editors

FuzzDuckie

Looking for a free "What you see is what you get" html editor for someone (I personally use HTML-Kit) who does not know any HTML.I checked the archives but anything is well over a year old...and I got an error on the one topic I DID try to click on .... grrrThanks.

For a free, WYSIWYG HTML editor, I recommend Nvu ( http://www.nvu.com/ ) from Disruptive Innovations (lead developer--or possibly only developer, I don't know--Daniel Glazman). It's based on the Composer component of the Mozilla Suite, which is also a good choice but less featured.That being said, I personally don't like using the term WYSIWYG because the Web is, well, the Web, not printed piece of paper, and what one person sees on the screen may not be the same as someone else--especially if that person is using a cell phone or something. I also perfer to hand-design pages. HTML (structural HTML only, which is the only kind that should be used anymore) isn't that hard to learn, and while CSS might be a bit harder ... it's still is possible. Luckily, Nvu, IIRC, provides tools edit CSS (so it's not so hard this way after all), but for new Web developers, it's easy to look past that and treat the HTML document like most people treat word processors (modern ones of which also have reusable styles, a benefit of CSS, but again, most people look past this).

Thanks Robert...I used that term for lack of a better way to descrbe what my friend is like. She knows no HTML or codiing (and I don't think she really cares to or has the TIME....with 2 jobs). She needed something that she could lay out the page on on HER computer to the satisfaction she likes then upload it to the server. I am not sure how she will be doing this or if she will be using different computers and carry the files on a disk or what but, knowing her she'd rather just lay it all out visually, look at it and have it render as HTML behind the scenes.I also could not come up with a better way to describe what I was looking for without having to go into some long paragraph like I did lol. For me I took the term"WYSIWYG" to mean for the "designer" of the site not the end user.

Hmm...this looks very interesting, thanks RobertM!FuzzDuckie, this program is a locally residing piece of software for the developer, and not the end user.

Yes, I have got to give that program a try too. At work I have been using PSPad--> http://www.pspad.com/en/ (it's freeware)not really a html program, but I like text editors for html. EditPlus works good for editing files. The thing I have been seeing with html editors is that they are so full of stuff they really eat up the resources. Text editor loads up and does the job without bringing the computer to a crawl.

PSPad looks interesting havnblast. I've been using PFE32 for html/text editing for years but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I hate overly complex editors. Does PSPad provide an option for line numbers? Not embedded in the source but rather when viewing the source.

I've been using PSPad for all my PHP development and some HTML coding. This program is absolutely packed with features (yes, it has line numbering), and whatever it doesn't have can be effectively added via macros, user converters, easy INI modifications, etc. The only draw backs are a few minor UI quirks, but the plethora of surprisingly useful features easily compensate for it, and then some.BTW, if you're thinking that it is overdone, It's not. It's one of those little apps with a simple and clean UI while still having some pretty neat features.Best part: it stores all it's settings using INI files rather than the registry, the way software is supposed to be.

Edited by epp_b

I've been using PSPad for all my PHP development and some HTML coding.  This program is absolutely packed with features (yes, it has line numbering), and whatever it doesn't have can be effectively added via macros, user converters, easy INI modifications, etc.  The only draw backs are a few minor UI quirks, but the plethora of surprisingly useful features easily compensate for it, and then some.BTW, if you're thinking that it is overdone, It's not.  It's one of those little apps with a simple and clean UI while still having some pretty neat features.Best part: it stores all it's settings using INI files rather than the registry, the way software is supposed to be.

Yup, just unzip and you can run it without installing it B)

Woah! I just checked out this NVU WYSIWYG editor...I'm gettin' a serious case of deja vu! You can definately tell that the developers of Firefox had a huge hand in this: well well-designed UI and same UI engine.

Nvu certainly is Free (as in freedom), developed by Daniel Glazman. I believe it's a "toolkit" app, just like Firefox and (partly) Thunderbird--which would be why it seems so much like Firefox.It's based on Mozilla Composer, only it's 100x better.

Yup, just unzip and you can run it without installing it    :thumbsup:
hmmm simple enough, I thought I would try it.1. Upon dbl clicking the pspad.exe file within the pspad433en.cab Zone Alarm alerts me that it's trying to access the Internet. :D 2. After rejecting the network access request I see menu items labeled: Soubor, Projekt, Upravy, Hledat, etc. :thumbsup: So much for that little test. And back to the most recent System Restore point I go. Edited by EdP

Uh...did you not extract everything first? I'd suggest just downloading the EXE installer, it makes no difference as to how it's installed, really.

Guest LilBambi

It doesn't require any access through ZoneAlarm. I just deny it access.I ftp my files up myself through FileZilla so Nvu doesn't need access.The only reason you would need access is for ftp'ing your site within Nvu, just like in Dreamweaver.EDIT: I did allow it access one time during setup though. It appears to default to thinking you will need access for ftp ... or it's looking for updates. Either way, I only let it access the web during installation. After that it's not needed anyway ... at least how I do it. ;)It's a great little program and even shows CSS templates as they are intended within the program ... even Dreamweaver doesn't do that properly.NOTE: I am using version 1.0

Edited by LilBambi

• 2 months later...

Fuzz,Let her check this out. It is drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG web page creator. I think she will like it.http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/

What is a WebDwarf? A powerful and very gifted artisan that brooks no nonsense. Best of all, he works for free!Web Page authoring has never been easier or more affordable.Features include: * 100% drag-and-drop editing * DTP style interface * Pixel precision object placement * Exports to HTML and SVG * Completely Free

• 2 years later...

OK, it's 3 years later - what do people recommend now?I tried Komposer (NVU), but I wanted to put a fixed set of links on the upper left side of every page for site navigation, and I think this requires "frames" - anyway - couldn't figure out how to do with with Komposer....Thanks/j

Edited by jeffw_00