Need a signal booster I guess !!!

ziggie

I have a WGR614 router (hardwired) to my w2k up-stairs and needless to say "No Problem" it's very fast cable ISP..Now, The problem:It does connect to a XP pc downstairs (using a Xterasys 54mbps 802.11g) PCI card BUT is very slow due to the low connection strength, it's a (2) if 10 was excellent.It's only about 60 ft away if it was a straight line but it's downstairs is the problem. It would be good if I had a amp or booster setting on the stair way about half way there BUT just don't know anything about this stuff....bummer.I have been looking at this Hawking Hi-Gain Signal Booster V.2 - HSB2 on-line at dot.com and wondered if that might be the ticket??OR exactly what do I need???? HELP!!!! ;)

Edited by ziggie

I have the upstairs/downstairs thing going on as well. I picked up a Netgear mimo router to replace my DLink. The results are amazing for me. My granddaugher has gone from a low connection that cuts out all the time to about 80% strength on a regular basis. Your mileage may vary but it has been an easy solution for me. The biggest problem here is a steel beam that runs the distance between the router and her room and it crosses over. The different antennas within seem to do the trick.

Don't let Teacher's nearly miraculous ability to get a MIMO router working properly sway you. :D Also, don't let the salespeople at Worst Buy or where ever you shop for networking gear talk you into a repeater unless you enjoy adventures in wireless frustration. The easiest way to extend the range of your router would be better antennas or a focused antenna. Since the Hawking says it connects via a standard SMA connection, it seems like an amplified antenna. Much less problematic than a repeater. In short, it looks like the Hawking may do just what you need. But keep the receipt and original package just in case.(Note: the above are my own biased opinions...your milage may vary ;) )

It seem that now (after reading about the booster necessities) it said that the my wireless router/or access point had to have a REMOVABLE antenna...."Well", my Netgear ant will not come off and my Linksys has (2) antennas.......BIG BUMMER!!!What's my other choices to improve the signal gang??

Can you simply relocate the router? The higher in the room, the further away from interference sources like 2.4GHz phones, Bluetooth devices, microwave ovens, etc., and the colser to the wireless computer, the better. Otherwise, you may be looking at a wireless repeater. They can be a bear to setup and get working, but they can be the solution to your situation.

It seem that now (after reading about the booster necessities) it said that the my wireless router/or access point had to have a REMOVABLE antenna...."Well", my Netgear ant will not come off and my Linksys has (2) antennas.......BIG BUMMER!!!What's my other choices to improve the signal gang??

Aww come on!!! That's too easy! Put the antenna on the other end. e.g. put it on the remote computer's nic. 6db is 6db whichever end it on. This wouldn't work if you had more than one remote computer, unless you bought more than antenna, but in you indicated you only had one. Edited by lewmur

No offense but i'd like "lewmur" to read up about this Hawking Hi-Gain Signal Booster V.2 - HSB2 at there web site to see what I mean. I can't remove my antenna??Hey jeber, you seem to know wireless, what repeater would you recommend??

Edited by ziggie

As long as it's one that is in the same class (802.11b or 802.11g or better, 802.11a/b/g), the brand isn't all that important. I used to work for the D-Link help desk, and while I'm sure they sold a bunch for which we never got a call (i.e. the setup went well and the customer had no issues), we still got a lot of calls on repeaters. So I'm reluctant to recommend D-Link. But truthfully, the technology is very similar from one company to the next. I'd suggest that you get the one that's compatible with your network (802.11g most likely) and either on sale or low priced. Keep the receipt and packaging (don't tear off the UPC code for that rebate just yet) and make sure the store will allow you to return it if it doesn't work. Wire your computer to it, configure it with your network's SSID, dynamic IP or PPPoE settings and security settings. Then unplug it from your computer and see if you can connect wirelessly through it. (All this should be covered in the setup literature that comes with it. Follow that step by step.)If you decide to go that route, let us know how it goes. We want to make sure it's working before your "refund" date passes.

If this is your PCI wireless card http://www.xterasys.com/xn2523g_specifications.htmIt says

One Dipole External Antenna, Upgradeable
can't you put a Hawking antenna there? The Hawking antenna I was looking at says
One of the major problems with many wireless networks is the poor coverage area of standard access points and routers. Hawking Technologies solves this problem with an antenna that attaches to the connector of your Wireless Access Point or network adapter.
If the network adapter isn't doable, then do the access point.

No offense but i'd like "lewmur" to read up about this Hawking Hi-Gain Signal Booster V.2 - HSB2 at there web site to see what I mean. I can't remove my antenna??Hey jeber, you seem to know wireless, what repeater would you recommend??

I'll bet you dollars to dougnuts it works. This is a quote FROM THEIR SITE.Easy Installation and Use Hawking's Hi-Gain Wireless antennas are designed to work with most Wireless Access Points, Wireless Routers and Wireless Network Adapters. By using the popular Reverse-SMA connector, the Hawking Hi-Gain Antennas can be used on most Wireless Devices. In addition, selected jumper cables are included for greater compatibility. Simply unscrew your current antenna and screw on Hawking's Hi-Gain Antenna and you're ready to go! Notice what I highlighted in blue. Edited by lewmur

I use a Linksys WSB24 booster for my Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11B router/WAP with 2 antennas; it's designed to work with 2 antennas. It has worked well for me.You can get higher gain antenna pairs for the linksys too. Radio Shack and Frys carry them. Higher gain does mean aiming will be more touchy.

Extending Wireless depends highly on the envioroment thus one person’s solution is not necessarily the other person salvation.Indoor the most cost-effective solution is usually a second Wireless Router working as an Access Point (can be found on sale for $15) connected with a wire long enough o take it out of the room to a spot that is more hospitable for propagation.May be this can Help: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network. ;)

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem. Well,actually my sister-in-law does in their new house. Neither her or my brother is at all technically adept. They have a Linksys wireless router which they can't/won't move (requires wiring, which they don't like to do, which also rules out a 2nd, better-located router). The have multiple roving laptops. I am considering suggesting the Linksys WRE54G Wireless Repeater - but can anyone suggest anything better? I saw a suggestion somewhere that you can make any wireless router into a repeater by not connecting the LAN and setting the address of the other wireless router (the one connected to the WAN) as a gateway(?)Is it possible that their router, which is several years old, (albeit G), would benefit from a replacement? (They don't use N, though). I'm really happy with myTP-LINK TL-WR541G IEEE 802.11b/g eXtended Range 54M Wireless Router ($30 @newegg)THANKS!/j

Edited by jeffw_00

I read the Hawking specs and noticed the fine print on the bottom of the page..

*FCC Rules state that the HSB2 can be used only in a system in which it has obtained authorization. The HSB2 has obtained authorization for the following system FCC IDs: SOYHSB2AP.
jolphil