Windows XP and excessive Deferred Procedure Calls

Jeff Lanzarotta

Jeff Lanzarotta

Hello,I having problems with an excessive amount of DPCs!Basically, this is my systemAMD64 3200+ASUS A8V-ENVIDIA 6600 PCIx2GB Corsair DDRWireless 3com nicWireless Logitech mouse and keyboardWindows XP Pro /w Service Pack 2I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Every new seconds, maybe 10, I get a spike in DPCs. The spike ranges from 4% to 40% CPU!!!!! I can tell this by using ProcessExplorer. When this spike occurs, my mouse stops responding for a brief second or so... VERY ANNOYING B) Well I'm tried switching out the netword card, nothing... I've tried a new keyboard and mouse, nothing... I've updated all the drivers, nothing...Also, I just did a complete format and reinstall of XP and Service Pack 2, nothing changed...The ONLY software I have installed is:XPService Pack 2NVIDIA drivers3Com network driversFirefoxMacromedia Flash pluginThis is very FRUSTRATING :'( This system should not be doing this. Can anyone possibly give me a clue on what could be causing this and how to fix it?Regards,-Jeff

I had a similar problem a while back. I'm hardly an expert in deferered procedure calls but I was able to fix it - essentially, something kept trying to access the CPU but couldn't complete its task and got into a vicious loop.Here's the thread. Hope it helps.

Jeff Lanzarotta

Really? I'm not quite sure how PE would tell you where the DPCs are coming from? Any hints?I did update the AMD 64 driver last night. DPCs are down to 1.56 percent, which isn't too bad...