SuSE & DHCP

mike180

Ok it seems we have gone from Bruno´s tips to really working with Linux. Isn´t it great :) .I´m trying to make SuSE load DHCP at boot,(it tries then stops) with no luck. Maybe this is why I like Mandrake so much. There must be; a command and a place, to enter it using vi or vim.Help! I drowning! :) :) :)

Don't know if this will be of any help, but, when I was installing SuSE 8.2, had to choose the right driver for my NIC, then it gave me a choice of auto DHCP, or manual configuration...naturally I chose auto DHCP, but that was way back at the beginning of the installation process. Good fortune to you. :)

Ok it seems we have gone from Bruno´s tips to really working with Linux.  Isn´t it great :P .I´m trying to make SuSE load DHCP at boot,(it tries then stops) with no luck.  Maybe this is why I like Mandrake so much.  There must be; a command and a place, to enter it using vi or vim.Help!  I drowning! B)  :unsure:  :huh:
Sorry, can you clarify a bit. You want to run a DHCP server or you want your NIC to get its IP from a DHCP server?

Hey MikeIf you do not get an answer here try the Security and Networking forum nextdoor. LilBambi and Peachy who moderate that forum are both excellent in networking and Linux . . . . ;)EDIT: there is Peachy already, just crossposted !:unsure: Bruno

Bruno,I have a cable broadband connection with a linksys 4 port router that sets ip addresses through DHCP. SuSE tries to connect at boot but then quits with no connection. SuSE reads my NIC card right as Intel 100 Pro. When Mandrake boots it has no problem getting an address so why is SuSE having so much trouble. Could it be the built in firewall is starting to fast and stopping the address server.

. Could it be the built in firewall is starting to fast and stopping the address server.
Yes ! What firewall are you running ? If it is shorewall: as root ¨shorewall restart¨ will do the trick ( For most firewalls its the same command ´restart¨ or first ¨stop¨ then ¨clean¨ and then ¨start¨ ):unsure: Bruno

Mike,I have a DSL connection and a Linksys BEFRS41 router but have DHCP turned off because I'm using a Windows 2000 Server as an internal DHCP server. SuSE picks up the IP with no problem from this DHCP server. During the install, you have the option of using DHCP or giving it a static IP address. Why not try the static option and give it an IP address in the same subnet as your LAN? It should connect to the internet. The other thing, does this fail before or after you type in the IP of the SuSE mirror? Also, are you manually loading the network module before you start the installation from the Main Menu?

Peachy ¨The other thing, does this fail before or after you type in the IP of the SuSE mirror?¨ I am not sure what you mean here Peachy. I installed from a DVD disk that I was given. It is SuSE 8.1 and I want to upgrade the kernal but I cannot get online to do this.I would have to set all of my computers to static ip just to get SuSE to work and that dosen´t seem right.I could not figure out how to get the networking module installed when installing Suse, everything loaded to fast. Or I´m just old and slow. B) BrunoThe firewall is the one that SuSE loads at first install. It is built in with the SuSE system and I don know it´s name but I think if I can find out how to disable it, everything would be ok. B)

The firewall is the one that SuSE loads at first install. It is built in with the SuSE system and I don know it´s name but I think if I can find out how to disable it, everything would be ok
Uninstalling the ip-tables ( iptables ) is often enough, you can always install them again later. ( Its worth a try . . )B) Bruno

I would have to set all of my computers to static ip  just to get SuSE to work and that dosen´t seem right.I could not figure out how to get the networking module installed when installing Suse, everything loaded to fast.  Or I´m just old and slow. B)
Actually, you could set your SuSE machine with a static IP address and install a DHCP server on your Linux box for the rest of the computers on your LAN. B) Okay, I didn't realize you were installing from a DVD -- methought you were trying the FTP install like I did. During the install, before you actually tell SuSE to go ahead and install the packages, you should have a chance to go over all the settings. There should be a place to configure the networking side.If you already have it installed, and the networking doesn't work, like Bruno said, disable or uninstall the firewall. Basically, your firewall is not letting DHCP traffic through.

Well I did what I usuall end up doing. Reinstall :) But this time, I did a manual install and and read more about what I was going to do and did it. This is being posted from my new SuSE installation. WHOPPEEE :) :) But I do wish I had waited for Bruno's post.

But I do wish I had waited for Bruno's post.
Come on Mike, a complete reinstall is always fun and has not hurt anybody yet ;) ;) :( ;) !:( Bruno