python.exe

kshef

I've got an IBM laptop that came bundled with a bunch of different utilities. Well, there is this python.exe that every so often starts running, using almost all my resources. It'll run for approx. 20 mins before stopping...I cannot "end process" it, so most of the time I find myself having to restart. I know this is a legit IBM utility(for what I do not know) but could this have been exploited or something? How can I stop it(without deleting if possible)?Any help is appreciated ;)

I've got an IBM laptop that came bundled with a bunch of different utilities.  Well, there is this python.exe that every so often starts running, using almost all my resources.  It'll run for approx. 20 mins before stopping...I cannot "end process" it, so most of the time I find myself having to restart.  I know this is a legit IBM utility(for what I do not know) but could this have been exploited or something?  How can I stop it(without deleting if possible)?Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Python is a programming language like Perl or VB. It might be that you have a program that is *using* python.exe to run. Try checking your Add/Remove program list and see if it is there. If not, then it is another program using Python that is causing the problem.You might also try renaming python.exe to phython.sav and see what happens. If another program is using it, then the error message you get when that program looks for it, might tell you something. Edited by lewmur

Why is Python installed on my computer?If you find Python installed on your system but don't remember installing it, there are several possible ways it could have gotten there. * Perhaps another user on the computer wanted to learn programming and installed it; you'll have to figure out who's been using the machine and might have installed it. * A third-party application installed on the machine might have been written in Python and included a Python installation. For a home computer, the most common such application is PySol, a solitaire game that includes over 200 different games and variations. * Some Windows machines also have Python installed. At this writing we're aware of computers from Hewlett-Packard and Compaq that include Python. Apparently some of HP/Compaq's administrative tools are written in Python. * All Apple computers running Mac OS X have Python installed; it's included in the base installation.

• 1 month later...
I've got an IBM laptop that came bundled with a bunch of different utilities.  Well, there is this python.exe that every so often starts running, using almost all my resources.  It'll run for approx. 20 mins before stopping...I cannot "end process" it, so most of the time I find myself having to restart.  I know this is a legit IBM utility(for what I do not know) but could this have been exploited or something?  How can I stop it(without deleting if possible)?Any help is appreciated :sweatingbullets:

Hi. I have reached your question when I was looking for an answer to the exact problem in the same Ibm x40. If you have already solved this, I would be very happy if share the answer with us. Regards, Gokalp. Edited by azik0765