Automatic checking of source packages on web

jaguar

Greets all. This is my first post and it's kind of a complicated one. B) Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.I've built and maintain my own Distro and am looking to write a script that will facilitate checking for updated source packages on the web. It's an i686 slackware/FreeBSD hybrid if anyone was wondering. I realize the script is going to be pretty hefty. I'm moderately fluent in Bash so would want to go that route. Perl is a little over my head at this point. I have close to 300 packages currently but am not interested in checking for Gnome updates or things like glibc.... So that would still leave me with about 200 packages to maintain. I was thinking that defining variables for the URLS would be feasable and then keep the body of the script as short as possible. A "for in do" type of thing. Maybe instead of having it be one script, I'll put all my URLS in a seperate script and cat from the second to read the URLS..I hope you guys are following me here... I'm not even sure I know how I'm going to work it at this point. What I would like is for it to report if there is a version number 'greater than' what is listed in /var/log/packages which would indicate an update is available. If it's = no verbosity is necessary. If the version number in /var/log/packages is 'greater than' the version on FTP, maybe a canned response of "The installed $PKGNAME is greater than what's on FTP. Your attention is required". Maybe reporting a time-out/non-existent URL would be nice to. That way I know if a URL needs updated...Ugh... I think I've explained it as best I can. Any pointers here? I'm not overly proficient in bash otherwise I probably would have written something by now. Just looking to get the ball rolling I suppose.Thanks all.... B)

Hi JaguarFirst: Welcome to the forum !!

This is my first post and it's kind of a complicated one.
You are right . . . and I would not know an answer to that one . . I hope maybe someone else has some ideas to get you started. ;)B) Bruno

If you don't find an answer here then you might need to check the web design and programming forum. There is a lot of overlap between folks but no guarantees the right folks overlap between the two forums. B) Welcome aboard.

linuxdude32

Welcome to the forum, jaguar!Not sure what your question is exactly. Only thing I recommend is to write a script that checks for updates to only one package before you work on others. The big thing about scripting is to smart small, even smaller than you think is necessary and then add to it.

Thanks all. It's a little over my head right now but I'll plug away at it over time. My bigest problem is there isn't one single repository containing all sources I use. I'd prefer to download straight from the developers web site of said program verses a redhat sources repository... Thanks for the welcome and advice.. :lol: