Introductions

teacher

A member of the forum suggested to me that we have a meet the members thread here. This came about as a result of our emails back and forth and where I admitted I thought I had him pegged for being in his 20s and it turns out he is significantly older than I. So here it is. If you would like to share with others of the forum a little bit about who you are, this is a spot to do that. You may reveal as little or as much as you would like about yourself (but please not too revealing of pictures. :flowers: ) It's up to you.

A member of the forum suggested to me that we have a meet the members thread here.  This came about as a result of our emails back and forth and where I admitted I thought I had him pegged for being in his 20s and it turns out he is significantly older than I.
Edited by lblackwolf

A member of the forum suggested to me that we have a meet the members thread here.  This came about as a result of our emails back and forth and where I admitted I thought I had him pegged for being in his 20s and it turns out he is significantly older than I.
Ok, since I was on the other end of the emails with Mz. Julia guess it's left for me to start.Born Dec.22 in the mid 1900sLive in Alberta, Canada but hoping to move further west into BC soon.Pic,http://www.flickr.com/photos/60337019@N00/20326301/Favorite distro, that's a hard one but I think since I haven't loaded pclos yet that it would be Xandr or Vector DynamiteMusic, just recently discovered the group Betty, You'll know them if you are an LWord fan, did the 2nd. season themeMovie, The Quiet Man, and a sucker for most older musicals

lblackwolfwhereabouts in Alberta?btw I am from Calgary, and I am a tipical baby boomer. Born right after the war (true in the war thorn Budapest, Hungary).I am a pclos developer, and one of the PCLOS forum moderators, so I guess my choice OS is pretty clear. (But I have Kanotix, Knoppix, Mephis, peanut, frugalware, uhu, and a few other installed, yay I almost forget Fedora Core 4, and Suse)

securitybreach

Well I am 27 year old male who lives in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have been in Florida for about 11 years, but was born in Atlanta, GA. I am currently pursuing my B.S. in Information Systems Security online. I have about a year left on my degree then onto the big money. I hope atleast. LOLHeres my pic- http://img281.echo.cx/img281/908/thisisme5ck.jpgAs far as distros, since being here, I started out with Mandrake not knowing alot about Linux. I have since moved on to more "advanced distros" like Slackware and Debian distros due to knowledge gained from ATL. In my opinion, my knowledge of Linux has grew signifiantly thanks to great posts on ATL. Currently I run SLackware 10.1 and Debian 3.1. Thats about it about me.Thanx

Ok, since I was on the other end of the emails with Mz. Julia guess it's left for me to start.Born Dec.22 in the mid 1900sLive in Alberta, Canada but hoping to move further west into BC soon.Pic,http://www.flickr.com/photos/60337019@N00/20326301/Favorite distro, that's a hard one but I think since I haven't loaded pclos yet that it would be Xandr or Vector DynamiteMusic, just recently discovered the group Betty, You'll know them if you are an LWord fan, did the 2nd. season themeMovie, The Quiet Man, and a sucker for most older musicals

lblackwolfwhereabouts in Alberta?btw I am from Calgary, and I am a tipical baby boomer. Born right after the war (true in the war thorn Budapest, Hungary).I am a pclos developer, and one of the PCLOS forum moderators, so I guess my choice OS is pretty clear. (But I have Kanotix, Knoppix, Mephis, peanut, frugalware, uhu, and a few other installed, yay I almost forget Fedora Core 4, and Suse)

ikerekes , well howdy neighbour, I'm up north of you in Edmonton. :)

It looks like I am saved from putting up a picture since only Logan linked to one and you can not access his unless you belong to flicker. :)I too was born in the mid 1900s - the later half. :) My user name comes from my occupation. I teach Windows! Now that I have confessed, a little about my Linux life.I am from the Outer Banks. This is a beach community that is now in full tourist mode. My summer project two years ago was to learn Linux. I started with Mandrake. Since then I have installed, hmmmm. PcLos, Suse, Fedora, Red Hat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mepis, Vector, Vector Soho, Knoppix, Slackware, D# Small, Slax, Yoper, TurboLinux, Frugal, Buffalo, Morphix, and Gobo. I might have missed one of two but I think that is the list. Ones that I have spent a significant length of time in include Mandrake, Gentoo, Vector, Slack, PCLos, and Suse.My favorite distro at the current time is PCLos. I have been helping a tiny bit with the wiki this summer. My next favorite would be Gentoo for the fun of it, Suse for the ease of running wireless, Vector for the lightweightness of it. Out of the running right now are Slack, Mandrake/Mandriva and anything Knoppix based.My tower is a pure linux machine. It currently has Buffalo, Slack, Deb, Mandrake, Gentoo, and PClos on it as well as Frugal. It normally boots into PCLos. My laptop is more of a purist with just PClos for fun, Suse for wireless, and Windows for work.Other than computers (yes I do have another life) :) would be shopping, :D , Beach Bum, sewing, mother, wife, church, and reading. I probably spend an hour a day just reading a good book. I like classical, Christian Rock, musicals, theatre, movies (as long as they are fairly clean), and traveling. Oh my one addiction that causes me to boot into Windows other than for work is my Hoyle puzzle games. I like slider tiles and the variations on Mahjong. If only someone would create linux versions with good graphics!Oh, I am one of the lowly moderators around here.

It looks like I am saved from putting up a picture since only Logan linked to one and you can not access his unelss you belong to flicker. :)Ugh...... you can't get in?? If I go back to my first post, it's a url and clickable, so what did I do wrong?DUH!!! Had it marked as private, should be available now,
Edited by lblackwolf

securitybreach

You have to be logged in. I just checked. Teacher, I listed my pic though.

Edited by securitybreach

Hi Everyone, Here is my biog :-I am an ancient, retired primary school chalkie. I taught all age groups from kindergarten to the adolescent year 7's. (12, 13 year olds)I started experimenting with Linux around 1985 when I tried an early - and now defunct - distro which was attached to a computer mag.Since then I've tried SuSE, Mandrake, PcLOS, Gentoo, Redhat, Fedora, Vector Soho, Slackware, Mepis, DSL, Xandros, Ubuntu - and probably a few more. I love Mandriva, Vector and Ubuntu.My interests - apart from computers - are classical music, especially opera, Aussie Rules footy, alternative health remedies and caring for my sick husband ( not in any specific order :) )My motto, in relation to Linux is "try anything and, therefore, never die wondering "

Hi actionsmiley0305bw.gifMy name is Neil. I'm 19 years old. I've been using Linux now since...well, I joined here on 15-September 03, so since maybe December of that year. I started with Mandrake (9.1, I believe), and then made the jump to Slackware. Since then, I've tried a bunch of distros. Slackware still holds a "special" place in my heart as my favorite, but I hardly ever use it anymore (figure that one out!). I mostly use Fedora Core nowadays, but due to SOMETHING (can't figure out what), I'm not able to enjoy it as much as I'd like.Anyway, I'm a moderator in the Browser & Email Central forum (Pay no attention to my profile, where it claims I'm "Most Active In" All Things Linux :P ), and I'm a huge advocate of closed source and proprietary software.Wait.I mean open source, and Free software :) I've got a favorite project, can you guess what it is? :teehee:

I'm Barry, also born in upper mid 1900's. I'm a Gov Contractor in the Joint IT/C4I arena in the WMD world. Specific focus on Joint and service training programs management...My last life was 21 1/2 years on the Navy in the operations/combat systems world.Personal life.. Computers , I have a few :teehee: ...Distros...Currently running (in no specific order) Debian Reps are Debian(64 and 32) , Mepis, DSL. RPM based Reps Mandriva,PClLinixOS,SuSE(64bit)Redhat 7.3 server. Slack based is Vector. (Also a MAC and system with Win98/ME/W2k/XP(H and PRO)some have implied I have a dual hardware/OS addiction...I see myself as a broad-based systems tester :P Likes: Watching my kids grow(I have a "few "of those too :w00t: ) and praying I'm doing it right :) ( so far so good...oldest is 28..youngest wil be 1 the 23rd..)Music:Classical and Alternative and Classic Rock music. Reading (almost anything)Sports: Football..NFL and CFL, baseball. Dislikes: Most of what is on TV :icon8: (exception being the History channels, Discovery, cartoon network o:) (see above mentioned kids)).And I'm a Mod here too

It looks like I am saved from putting up a picture since only Logan linked to one and you can not access his unless you belong to flicker. :)I too was born in the mid 1900s - the later half. :P  My user name comes from my occupation.  I teach Windows!  Now that I have confessed, a little about my Linux life.I am from the Outer Banks.  This is a beach community that is now in full tourist mode.  My summer project two years ago was to learn Linux.  I started with Mandrake.  Since then I have installed, hmmmm.  PcLos, Suse, Fedora, Red Hat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mepis, Vector, Vector Soho, Knoppix, Slackware, D# Small, Slax, Yoper, TurboLinux, Frugal, Buffalo, Morphix, and Gobo.  I might have missed one of two but I think that is the list.  Ones that I have spent a significant length of time in include Mandrake, Gentoo, Vector, Slack,  PCLos,  and Suse.My favorite distro at the current time is PCLos.  I have been helping a tiny bit with the wiki this summer.  My next favorite would be Gentoo for the fun of it, Suse for the ease of running wireless, Vector for the lightweightness of it.  Out of the running right now are Slack, Mandrake/Mandriva and anything Knoppix based.My tower is a pure linux machine.  It currently has Buffalo, Slack, Deb, Mandrake, Gentoo, and PClos on it as well as Frugal.  It normally boots into PCLos.  My laptop is more of a purist with just PClos for fun, Suse for wireless, and Windows for work.Other than computers (yes I do have another life) :teehee: would be shopping, :) , Beach Bum, sewing, mother, wife, church, and reading.  I probably spend an hour a day just reading a good book.  I like classical, Christian Rock, musicals, theatre, movies (as long as they are fairly clean), and traveling.  Oh my one addiction that causes me to boot into Windows other than for work is my Hoyle puzzle games.  I like slider tiles and the variations on Mahjong.  If only someone would create linux versions with good graphics!Oh, I am one of the lowly moderators around here.

Teacher,Where are you in the Outer Banks? My family and I have been going there for vacation for the last 17 years so I know it well. It is one of my favorite places ever. I was even lucky enough to spend a week down there just after Christmas. Loved it!

Hi...my name's Jeber and I'm a computerholic. :teehee: Thanks to ATL and Scot's forum, I've tried more Linux distros than I can recall (yeah, I'm old, too) and am still looking for the perfect one, if anyone ever can produce one. Currently I have Mandriva, PCLos, Fedora Core3 and Xandros on my desktop; Win XP Pro and Mandriva on my laptop (may soon change to SUSE for the wireless).Personally, I hail from So. Cal. and am again living here after many years away. I'm in the process of re-evaluating my career options (I'm out of work) and while waiting am spending way too much time on-line. I maintain far too many blogs and web sites, as well as my own forum, and hang out and write for Lockergnome as well as spending a lot of time here. I like to garden and have 5 little kitties looking for good homes (hint, hint). Having once worked for a jazz radio station, that is my primary musical style, but enjoy it all. I also build and fix computers. In my spare time I...uhhh...I uhhh...oh, never mind.

I'm Ken, 61, retired. I have too many computers. :teehee: I've tried a lot of the distros and still do. I currently run Mac OS 10, Suse, and Windows XP. I've recently built 3 new computers and will buy a newer Mac. I like working with different OSs and not a big fan of booting multiple OSs, which is why I have too many computers, I'm just not that adventurous. :) My leisure time is spent reading and gardening. I consider computers my full-time job. :P Although the pay is only the fun and adventure.Although I don't post much, I do follow and enjoy our Linux forum.

Guest LilBambi

Hi, my name is Bambi, errr, LilBambi, errr, Nancy (FST quote) .... but my given name is Fran.I am a small biz owner Fran's Computer Services and since the beginning of this year, I am also a blogger, cohost on a live three hour show on CNI Radio on Saturday nights from 7-10 PM. It's called the JimmyLee and Bambi Show and we do news and views, particularly from a security and privacy related standpoint but cover many topics. Jim does a show called 'a few minutes with Firesign Theatre' on Thursday evenings at 9 PM and for about 1/2 hr to an hour after the JimmyLee and Bambi Show on Saturdays. My pic is on my blog and in the photo section of the profile here.In addition, CNI Radio (a non-profit station) has some 2600.com shows including 'Off the Hook' and shows from the 'Fifth HOPE' as well as some Leo Laporte and Linux Link Tech shows...all rebroadcasts as they become available. (We only rebroadcast shows that are under CC license where they allow rebroadcast with proper attribution. We are looking into some other shows as well and will add them as we can.) You can find out more about the station at the website.I have been into computers since 1986 when I was first introduced to them by my Jim (on a CoCo II). From there, I just kept learning. I switched to the 8088 and then 386, 486DX2 and then moved up to Pentium I and now stand at Pentium III computers for the moment. I do want to get my next computer before the hardware DRM is integrated into the system and CPU. And it is highly likely that WinXP Pro is my last Windows OS because of the hardware DRM that will likely be integrated into Longhorn.We have quite a few (older) computers on our little family network, some internet capable, and some not. I personally have three computers (one PII running Win98SE, and two PIIIs one that runs WinXP Pro and Redhat 9, and one that runs Fedora Core 3).After helping folks with their computers for free for years and being encouraged by friends and family to do this for a living, in 1997 I started my own business and sometime in 2000 went full time. The business focuses mainly on Windows computers because, well, that's where the majority of folks (locally) are that need help...especially now a days! Specializing mainly in securing computers for Internet use, and cleanup of infected computers. The business also expanded to website design and hosting in 2001. Eventually, it would be great to have it be a solely internet based business.As far as Linux goes, I installed my first distro about a year or so after my Jim got into Linux which would put it about maybe 6 years ago (?). Jim only uses Linux and I rely on his expertise in hardware/networking ... it is something that he just inately understands from all angles. Jim also says he doesn't do Windows ... It isn't logical. ;)When Jim first got into Linux, he was using Redhat 6 and it was great! The potential he and I both saw was awesome. But I was having some real problems with the GUI...so stark and jagged at that time.But I really wanted to try Mandrake at that time so I waited for Mandrake 7.1 I think it was before I ordered the CDs from CheapBytes which was not called CheapBytes at that time. I later installed Mandrake up till 9 and Redhat too up to Redhat 9 .. then I switched entirely to Fedora Core 3. I use the standard gnome/kde cross desktop, but I really like the KDE desktop best, but like most gnome apps better. If that makes any sense.I am anxious to try out Fedora Core 4 too now that it's out and should be able to do so when we travel up north this summer and will have access to broadband. I may also try some Debian based products ... especially since I really like Knoppix ... I hope they get rid of that funky pale blue and orange default background in Knoppix! Does anyone else just hate that desktop??

Edited by LilBambi

Get out your dart boards. I have been teased and harrassed into posting. :DLilBambi, glad to see you joining in the fun. Bruno, why did I expect to see that little about you? :teehee: I have been waiting for the picture for two years!clown.jpg

Okay . . okay . . . . . you get your way . . . . LOL . . . it is not the most recent one but no pictures after are available . . . . . . . :). . . . . . . . . . . Bruno.jpgJust so you can compare . . . . this is one of my granddaughter: ( due Aug / Sep ). . . . . . . . . . . granddaughter.jpgI am sure you all see the resemblance ;);) Bruno

Bruno you have tried that trick before. By the way I had to insert a movie into a movie in class last week. Guess what ultrasound I used as my movie?? :)

Teacher,Where are you in the Outer Banks? My family and I have been going there for vacation for the last 17 years so I know it well. It is one of my favorite places ever. I was even lucky enough to spend a week down there just after Christmas. Loved it!

You thought I was going to ignore your question? No I am just slow to respond. I live in Southern Shores - between Duck (don't laugh it really is a town) and Kitty Hawk! So does that mean I live around ducks, kittens, and hawks? No just deer, fox, rabbits and lots of birds. :sweatingbullets:

Hi My Name is Mel I was born in the first half of 1900. I was forced to retire Because of a 85% hearing Loss 11 years ago from a Fulltime job as a Special Electronics Tech working with Analog and Binary Computer Systems and other Electronic Devices. :( I am supposed to be retired, :D But have been doing PC Consulting Ever since. I build, Repair, Configure Computers and do some networking. I have a Novell Education Certificate in Networking installation and configuration. I am working harder now than when I was working :D Computers have been a blessing for me as I can communicate with the world and don't have to hear. I have been trying to learn Linux and have been playing around with it off and on since early 90's. :) Havn't learned it yet :D But am getting there. :D My favorite Distro's are SuSE and Debian.I spent 7 1/2 years in the Airborne (Paratroopers) and was a Electronics Device Section Chief. I also hold a Commercial Pilots License But don't fly anymore because of my hearing. My Wife and Computers are my first Love. :) I have a website and the URL isMels WebsiteMel :)

Edited by mhbell

Hi All, I have been messing with Linux for about five years now. Mostly with Mandrake, with a few side journeys iinto Red Hat and Suse, but being still very much a beginner, I hesitate to stray too far from what I alredy know. This may seem strange for someone who wrote his first computer program in 1965. It was my mortgage, on a Packard Bell 250. Long term wide interest, some shallow knowledge. That seems to be me.Teacher: You expressed an interest in block games. You might want to look at this one written by my friend Norman DeForrest.Try <http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/JSNSPuz.html>Bill

Teacher:  You expressed an interest in block games.  You might want to look at this one written by my friend Norman DeForrest.Try  <http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/JSNSPuz.html>Bill

Thanks Bill. Interesting little game. Reminds me of the ones you used to get at the store.If anyone wants to see where my money is going this summer, try here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenray/By the way, thanks Peachy. I found flickr through your links. ;)

Where are you going Teach? Looks Like Italy.  :rolleyes:  or are you going to buy a new Camera?  :D Anyway it looks like fun..Mel ;)

I guess I should not be so obtuse. I sent my daughter to France for the summer to finish her art history classes needed for her degree. She is in the village of LaCoste and these are the first of her pictures..... I had to buy her a new camera as well since her *old* one of about one year was stolen in Florida this spring.

Hello everyone-I currently live in Southeastern Arizona. I was introduced to Linux about a year ago when I decided to go back to college. I found that turning wrenches wasn't what I wanted to do anymore! I enjoy almost anything and everything to do with computers. I work in the HTML dept. of a locally owned company. Hopefully after some more programming classes under my belt I will be able to do more programming. I have taken classes in VB 6 and VB.NET. I would like to also learn Java and C.I think I have tried almost all of the most popular releases out there only to find that something didn't work properly or they wouldn't even boot up! Which was very furstrating for someone that has been feed Windows since the 8th grade. Dell Latitude Laptop with a Celron 466, 128MB Ram and KUbuntu 5.04 has been working great for me. I hope to get a desktop put together just for Linux in the future but just haven't found one cheap enough yet!~GHOST~

From my earliest memories, I always loved to take things apart. From the first time my step-dad showed me how to put on a new door knob, I thought I was mechanically inclined and started to think I was the smartest person in the world. The theory of relativity, I still don't believe it. Realizing that taking thing apart is the easy part and that putting them together is much more difficult, I started realizing that I wanted to create things when I grew up instead of take them apart. My mom told me at the time that, what I described was called an Engineer, but it's hard to remember big words like that when you're 9. In high school, my two favorite classes were math and art. I loved to draw aerodynamic "looking" fighter jets and started thinking I wanted to be an Aerospace engineer. I used to HATE word problems in math class, but realized when I took physics that math could be used in real life. Also, we learned quite a lot about electricity in Physics.Well, my dad wasn't willing to pay for an expensive engineering school before I had gone to the Community College, so I went into the Army instead. "They'll make a man out of me!" Yeah, right. Well, I did manage to father a daughter in Germany. That doesn't really make a man, though.It's just as well because Aerospace engineering is not about drawing aircraft chassis models based on looks. I did very well on the military entrance exam and I chose radio repair. I did always love to be different. Not many people know how to work with "sparks and magic". There is a contraction that many people may not know: Aviation Electronics = Avionics. Once I finished my four years of service in the Army and got tired of minimum wage, I finally went to the school of my choice (which I'll be paying for for years to come) to learn to be an Avionics Engineer.Just before all this, I made a decision to return to God and get baptized. The church I got baptized in was multiracial and encouraged singles to go on dates about once a week with a good mix of Christians. I was feeling pretty good about myself because I was going on dates with black (and yes, that's the term my wife prefers) sisters on a regular basis. I found out how little that meant when I took a class called Anti-Black Racism. There's more to being color-blind than being attracted to someone of a different color.So, I graduated from college with a BS in Engineering and still single. I just knew that Boeing would hire me so that I wouldn't have to move from St. Louis. Well, if they need 5 years experience, surely one of these other companies will hire me. Well, this avionics tech job I'm taking will get me started. Hmmm, I might want a job at some point that will get me health insurance and pay ALL of my bills rather than just interest on the bills I have. Maybe I might have to move.So, here I am in Little Rock with five years of experience as an Avionics/Electrical Engineer. We don't want to confuse me with an Avionics/Mechanical Engineer. (Let's see, Aviation Electronics Mechanical Engineer, yeah that makes sense) My church, which is part of the same church I went to in St. Louis, hosted a 30's single retreat in Texas. It was my first time at a 30's retreat and Stephanie's first time at a 30's retreat. She went from Tulsa, me from Little Rock. She didn't want to go, I was excited to go. She tried to talk to me there, I was trying to watch a baptism. A couple of months later we met at another singles event in Oklahoma and I got her number this time. Her daughter and I eventually tag teamed her to convince her to marry me. Now Stephanie gets to referee us.Since the last picture that was seen of me was of staples after surgery, it might be time for an update:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/greg.trigg@s...2&.dnm=1378.jpgI guess yahoo is determined to have their customers spammed. I can share pictures, but my address is included in the link.I've also been the sound guy at church for the past 10 years or so. It helped me prepare for my job more than the college education. I'm now trying to get the recordings for the Sunday messages on a website. Now that I'm using Debian, I've finally managed it. I'll put the link in my profile eventually. The first one is very noisy. I'm sure the next one will be better.Debian feels like home to me. So much so, that I'm placing documents on the desktop. That's not something I've done with other distros. It's the one that finally helped me to "rip" sermons off of a tape and convert to MP3. I got my favorite game working on it, too.