Thank You AVG 7

Gary

I have gotten fed up with all of the problems obtaining updates to AVG 7 so I switched over to Avast 4.6. It is also free and far supperior to AVG 7. B)

Both AVG and Avast offer the same level of protection, and are VB100%.http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?tableThe update situation of AVG is annoying.  :thumbsup:

I don't think so. Read the features that the free Home Avast 4.6 Has Here. And Here as well. Avast will scan with System Restore Points and Memory , does AVG do that? B) Edited by Gary

I always did the updates manually for the older AVG, but have been letting the version seven update itself. It is sometimes annoying when I first start the machine in the morning to have to wait a moment while a new update downloads, but I figure if the update is there..... :P It really never rises to the level of a problem.And is funny, as just a moment before I found this subject in the forum, AVG caught and disposed of a worm coming in as a spoofed e-mail from my ISP telling me that my password update was successful. :thumbsup: Really. just happened I've always been happy with AVG B) :D

I always did the updates manually for the older AVG, but have been letting the version seven update itself.  It is sometimes annoying when I first start the machine in the morning to have to wait a moment while a new update downloads, but I figure if the update is there..... :hmm:It really never rises to the level of a problem.And is funny, as just a moment before I found this subject in the forum, AVG caught and disposed of a worm coming in as a spoofed e-mail from my ISP telling me that my password update was successful. :icon8:Really. just happened  I've always been happy with AVG  B)  :thumbsup:

I was not waiting a moment but hours. This was not in the AM either. As I said I could not update it manually or otherwise for hours at a time. This was on 3 different machines. Si I changed and I like Avast and I'm not going back. I have nothing against AVG other than the updating procedure and that Avast offers web protection if you want it. It scans memory, archives a great deal more than AVG. :P

I don't think so. Read the features that the free Home Avast 4.6 Has Here. And Here as well. Avast will scan with System Restore Points and Memory , does AVG do that?  :thumbsup:

AVG scans restore points and memory when scan all files is set. I have tested my systems using 'eicar' and even when hiding in a restore point, it has been located and removed. All anti - virus programs rated VB100% scan memory or they would be useless. :P I believe what Specmon means by a 'manual' update, was going to the AVG site and downloading the update, then applying it. All anti - virus programs allow manual updates by download. I hope Avast runs trouble free for you. B)

The AVG update problems only started for me yesterday, but the email scanner problem started last week and was only partially fixed with earlier updates this week. Today the updater worked fine.

AVG scans restore points and memory when scan all files is set. I have tested my systems using 'eicar' and even when hiding in a restore point, it has been located and removed. All anti - virus programs rated VB100% scan memory or they would be useless.  :D I believe what Specmon means by a 'manual' update, was going to the AVG site and downloading the update, then applying it. All anti - virus programs allow manual updates by download. I hope Avast runs trouble free for you.  B)

OK when I would do a thorough scan with AVG it would scan 121,000 files. A thorough scan with Avast scanned 766,159 files and 11964 folders. Those figures tell me that Avast does a deeper scan that AVG. Avast also finds adware and spyware, where AVG did not.Avast did not take all that long to install and if I find that I don't care for it, I can always switch back. So far I see no reason to. :thumbsup: What I meant by scaning memory is that it can be set to scan memory at startup.I hope it works out for me as well. Thanks. :P

Guest LilBambi

Peachy,Here, Here!Both are very good antivirus programs. And both are 100% rated by Virus Bulletin. Avast! regained it's 100% for WinXP June 2005 after failing on it in 2004. AVG had 100% in both 2004 and 2005 for WinXP.It is a shame they don't test more frequently because my experience has shown that avast! actually did a better job on email scanning than AVG 7 by catching a couple emails that AVG missed with virii in them. I hadn't opened them, but they were there in my spam and deleted folders. However, these things tend to change from month to month and sometimes day to day as new features and defs are incorporated in different antivirus software. But the testing is only done on each OS once a year.Let's leave it at that.Each person's view may be slightly different but all views are to be respected. We are all just trying to get the best we can. And both work well. Each has had their moments of annoyances as well.Personally I have chosen to use avast! Home at this time but I still have great respect for AVG. Any company that offers a free for residential/personal use and is 100% Virus Bulletin tested is great in my book. :thumbsup:However, I have no doubt that nod32 would be considered one of the best overall antivirus programs ... bar none. :pirate:

LilBambi    Posted Today, 10:16 AM
Personally I have chosen to use avast! Home at this time but I still have great respect for AVG. Any company that offers a free for residential/personal use and is 100% Virus Bulletin tested is great in my book. thumbsup.gif
As have I. I personally believe that any uncalled for behavior by a member could have been handled via a PM. All I did was post a comment about AVG. And I used a :pirate: when someone used foul language. :devil:

I have used AVG on my WXP system without problems for some time. Not sure whether there decision to defer major updates until user confirmed ok to proceed was correct (could argue either side of that).But, never had a problem with the minor (virus def) updates installing automatically.Stickin with it for now. :) :flowers:

Gary,No uncalled for behavior was noted. Just mentioning that we all need to respect each other's opinions.No worries. :)

I know, I just think that this comment was really not necessary:
Gentlemen, keep your shirts on; or take it outside. cool.gif
There was no one in any kind of uproar. To moderate is one thing, to over moderate in another. :)

No overmoderation here. Peachy said exactly what several of us who read this thread were thinking, and put it much more diplomatically than I might have. We often try to lighten the mood of a discussion that appears to be heading downhill. Peachy didn't single anyone out, he simply said (nicely) that if you can't keep the conversation civil and express yourself with thoughts instead of uninformative language, then it's a dicusiion that needs to end or go elsewhere. Please don't take offense where none is intended. Please do pay attention to the underlying message if you know yourself to be the object of the comment.

Now, to address the topic once more, let me say that based on the recommendation of several people I've decided to give Avast a try. I have no real opinions yet, it's too soon, but I did notice that Avast and Zone Alarm Pro seem to have a conflict. The good thing is that Avast not only called it to my attention, but gave me a fix for it. So thus far I'm positively impressed.

ZoneAlarm seems to think that I don't have any antivirus installed for some reason, I am using AVG 7.0.323 Also AVG seems to try to update every time I access the internet which is fine, as it usually doesn't take long.

Now, to address the topic once more, let me say that based on the recommendation of several people I've decided to give Avast a try.  I have no real opinions yet, it's too soon, but I did notice that Avast and Zone Alarm Pro seem to have a conflict.  The good thing is that Avast not only called it to my attention, but gave me a fix for it.  So thus far I'm positively impressed.

Be sure to give it an adequate amount of time. It may be confusing at first to configure. It also has a great deal of skins that AVG does not Try to download the ones you like. The standard install comes with 3 skins. two that I use are below.9-11_by_szcraftec.jpgszc-kde_by_szcraftec.jpg Edited by Gary

ZoneAlarm seems to think that I don't have any antivirus installed
I ran into that same thing and never could figure out what was going on. The control panel for ZA seemed to know that there was an AV app installed, but it couldn't recognize AVG.As long as they both stay updated, though, I suppose...that's all that really matters.(Aha, now I see. I followed the link in the control panel, and AV integration is only included in their Security Suite, not in the Pro version.) Edited by Jeber