Microsoft RAW file viewer for Windows XP

Peachy

I'm downloading it now too. Thanks for the heads up. My computer is Fuji Finepix which a don't think shuts raw, but I'm going try it anyways. :D

After installing the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer Powertoy for Windows XP you will be able to view, organize, and print photos captured in RAW image formats from supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras.
Am I glad I just bought a Canon ! :hmm:
Service Pack 2 or later is required. This program is not recommended for use on any other version of Windows. For best performance, 512 Mb of RAM and a Pentium 4 or better CPU is recommended.
While most of us XP users have upgraded to SP2 last fall, I just upgraded to 512 MB RAM only 2 months ago... :hmm: And my 'better CPU' is an AMD Athlon ! :hmm:
Version 1.1 of the Microsoft .NET Framework is required.
I've been stalling on this however...No choice but to have it now. And it shows that M$ is forcing users to adopt their .NET "vision" of the future.

I don't understand why people get so worked up about the .NET Framework. I have it installed in every PC I use, including clean, slipstreamed, unattended installs at work. It has never caused any problems with any software I use.Besides, if you have a recent ATI graphics card you need it anyway to install the Catalyst Control Center app.

After downloading both this Power Toy and NET Framework, I have 2 questions.1) How does one get the 1st one to work ? :hmm: 2) Why would I want Framework to change my personalized security settings in IE ? I know it's part of Microsoft's "Trustworthy Computing" agenda, but I like the way it works right now. <_< This is the reason I stayed away from this application. It's presented in such a obscurely written fashion. This is designed primarily for software devellopers IMO.

Basically, the viewer allows you to preview RAW files in Windows Explorer, e.g. file that end the extensions .CRW (Canon) or .NEF (Nikon).

• 1 month later...

I have experimented with this offering but me no likey! It appears to contain the same kind of handicapped mentality as the MicroSoft Image/Fax Viewer utility built-in to WinXP. Maybe the use of PaintShopPro or PhotoShop are too costly for raw image handling for you. Maybe you did not warm up to Google PicassaV2. Then, I would like to suggest the following:

Force Vision (version 3.06), FREEware Image Application======================================================^ Another FREEware alternative for image viewing, editing, and/or manipulation!^ ForceVision is an award-winning freeware bitmap image viewer with an attractive ease of use and advanced graphics manipulation capabilities. ^ Being a lightweight yet powerful software it combines both a graphic files navigation and an image processing just fine. Scanning and printing possibilities will widely expand your opportunities!^ Slideshow, full-screen and thumbnails views are basic modes of the viewer serve to properly improve. Image brightness, contrast, color adjustment, flip, rotate, resize, format conversion and many other viewer's functions handy help improving digital photos within seconds.^ Embedded professional graphic filters are a definite asset for a creative individual. Highly customizable program configuration and mode will smoothly serve your everyday needs without annoying reduction and redundancy.^ ForceVision Features^ ForceVision is a powerful tool to view, edit and image format converting. ForceVision abilities are:* Support of 46 different graphics formats* Aggressive rendering for rapid image processing* Balanced and Quality rendering for extreme image quality* Multi-window user interface allows to use your desktop space more efficiently* Multilanguage user interface support* Multi-user support* Thumbnails mode* Full-screen mode* Slide-show* Scan and print* Format Converting* Includes more than 30 filters and effects!* 30 image transitions types!* Automatic layouts brings the ultimate compatibility with XP themes* Allows to assign file association icons of your choice!* Keeps your favorite paths^ Supported formats:* Viewing:BMP, CUR, DCX, DIB, EMF, FAX, G3F, G3N, GIF, ICB, ICO, J2C, J2K, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPG, PBM, PCX, PGM, PIX, PNG, PPM, PXM, RLE, TARGA, TGA, TIF, TIFF, VDA, VST, CRW, CR2, NEF, RAW, PEF, RAF, X3F, BAY, ORF, MRW, SRF, WBMP, WMF.* Save As... (format converted):BMP, CUR, DCX, DIB, EMF, EPS, FAX, G3F, G3N, GIF, ICB, ICO, J2C, J2K, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPG, PBM, PCX, PDF, PGM, PIX, PNG, PPM, PS, PXM, RLE, TARGA, TGA, TIF, TIFF, VDA, VST, WBMP, WMF.* Format Converting... (batched format converting):BMP, DIB, FAX, G3F, G3N, ICB, JPE, JPEG, JPG, PIX, PNG, RLE, TARGA, TGA, TIF, TIFF, VDA, VST.
====================================================* Home Page: http://forcevision.net/* Direct Download Site: http://forcevision.net/download/ForceVision_Setup.exe* Program Version: V3.06* Program Size: 1.20MBytes* Program Type: FREEware====================================================Hope you find it more to your liking. I find the "Set as desktop background" (Stretch/Center/Tile) one click functionality quite useful!

ThunderRiver

Some words of advice from Paul Thurrott"If you aren't using RAW images, don't bother with this download. The PowerToy appears to do some screwy stuff with file associations, and I didn't like the way it killed the image-document icons on my system."If you can afford Adobe Photoshop CS2, go for it. I think it will be a much better application dealing RAW than a plain old viewer.On the side note, .NET Framework 1.1 is truly a standard new a day. It is like installing VB run time, except this time it is called .NET FrameworkMore to come, .NET Framework 1.1 will be followed by 2.0I have been programming on Visual Studio.NET 2005 Beta 2 for awhile now, and .NET Framework 2.0 is absolutely stunning in terms of efficiency and performance. Highly recommended for VB.NET and C# programmers out there.

Edited by ThunderRiver