PCLinuxOS 9

quint

LOL , I saw an article in Distro watch about the end of the new distro season...seems like it's not over yet.... :lol: I want to see how this does on my laptop...had suse..want to try something different)...So I'm grabbing it and the Debian 64bit Sarge ;)

HURRAAAAY !! . . . . Preview 9 . . . . . . . . downloading as I speak . . ( huh . . . type ) . . . . . LOLB) Bruno

LOL . . . well, did the HD install and am posting from it :hmm: . . . . . . . I have 3 little remarks though:1). With Live and on the HD install the sound is muted and I have to fire up Kmix to fiddle the Master, PCM and Headphone . . . . . . ( when booting live I even get errors on the alsa even when it shows it did find the correct soundcard )2). The sources in Synaptic is defaulted to nluug . . . . . and nluug has not bee active since beginning of April. ( What is the best mirror for updates ?? ):

#PCLINUXOS apt repository#rpm http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm http://rpm.nyvalls.se/ pclinuxos/2004 thac
3). It takes very long to boot . . . . 3:10 minutes . . . . it waits a long time at hotplug, udev, and after the verbose text before the login.:huh: BrunoPS: The muted sound is solved on the reboot of the HD install ;)

Nluug has been active but for some reason you have been messed up on the updates. The first one to be updated each time is the ibiblio. All the other mirrors are synced from there. I think you will find that works out fine.I guess you will tweak it to figure out what is wrong. The only distro that has not taken that long to boot for me is Gentoo.

Nluug has been active but for some reason you have been messed up on the updates. 

Well this is really funny . . . . see this one ( from the "old pclos-8" )ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...pclinuxos/2004/That one has not been active since 04/12/2005And this one: ( from Pclos 9 )ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...pclinuxos/2004/ This one has indeed the latest updates . . . The difference is here:/metalab/distributions/contrib/texstar/metalab/distributions/texstar:DSo it looks like something changed without I was aware of it . . . and the "old" stuff is still there . . ;) Bruno

LOL . . . . well, I know Ibiblio is painfully slow . . . . but the "new" nluug works just fine ( it is just that somehow I missed the change of directory on nluug B) )B) Bruno

OK...I got it installed on the whitebox...and that went fine...still adding the 400+ extras, and a few tweaks. It seems a bit faster than 8, but I haven't been able to verify that with any kind of benchmarks. It would not install on a Dell D610 laptop or boot the LiveCd for that matter(and man I wish it would) ...but the only boxs I could get it to boot on had less than 200mb RAM.

Barry that is strange. It boots fine on my 1GB Ram system. Installing it now. The install is taking a little longer but it booted fine nad fixed some new problems I was having with my updated PCLos.

Same here, and posting from it now on the desktop. I also tossed it on the laptop, and other than an initial lockup during the "writing etc/fstab" step (which required a reboot and reinstallation which completed properly) it looks good there, too. Today I may add in some of the wireless apps and see if I can use ndis wrapper to get my PCMCIA card up and running. I notice that it's now an automatic option when you go to set up a wireless network. That alone impressed the heck out of me. I have high hopes. In general, I'm about as pleased with this OS as I ever have been with Xandros or Mandriva, and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone new to Linux, even if Texstar does warn about its beta status. B)

B) My dippy move here...I meant more than 200MB RAM... :lol: ..Sorry...Brain dead this AM..or maybe it's age B) (but the part about the Dell was correct... B)

I did notice one odd thing I'd like your opinions on. When I installed the additional fonts available in Synaptic, there was a link to an HTML page where Texstar recommends turning off anti-aliasing for fonts. I've always left it enabled, but disabled it this time to see if I could detect a difference. I'm not sure I can. Has anyone else? Does anyone have more information on the uses of anti-aliasing?

OK...I got it installed on the whitebox...and that went fine...still adding the 400+ extras, and a few tweaks. It seems a bit faster than 8, but I haven't been able to verify that with any kind of benchmarks.  It would not install on a Dell D610 laptop or boot the LiveCd for that matter(and man I wish it would) ...but the only boxs I could get it to boot on had less than 200mb RAM.

I have been reading in the mailing lists about various problems..... run mediacheck at the boot promt of the disc to verify your download and burn are good. B)

I did notice one odd thing I'd like your opinions on.  When I installed the additional fonts available in Synaptic, there was a link to an HTML page where Texstar recommends turning off anti-aliasing for fonts.  I've always left it enabled, but disabled it this time to see if I could detect a difference.  I'm not sure I can.  Has anyone else?  Does anyone have more information on the uses of anti-aliasing?

I'd suspect that anti-aliasing would slow the system down. Just a guess..... B)

My second install on the main system ( yesterday was the test-system ) was painless . . . . . . . everything works . . . :PB) BrunoPS: Jeber, I know anti-aliassing eats RAM . . . . . B)

Hi Et-alsCan PCLos PV8.1 (I think B) ) be upgraded through Synaptic to PCLos PV 9???Or am I just dreaming here B) Have to find a way to boot from the CDrom on my new Toshiba laptop to see if it works there too :P Cheers for YearsColin ;) :D

Kamicota, on my Toshiba laptop all you have to do is tap the "escape" key when you first turn on the computer and it tells me to press the "F1" key to access the BIOS setup. That's where you choose the boot order. Be sure to change it back when you're done or each reboot will take longer whine the CD-ROM is checked for a boot medium.

Thanks JeberI tried the del key even F8 but it didn't happenSo hope fully we can try PCLOs 9 soonThank YOU ;) Cheers for YearsColin B) B) :P

One big weirdness noted today with PCLos9.I went and selected my specific monitor (it was set to a 1024x768 flat panel) and increased the resolution to 1280x1024 with 24 bit color. As soon as I restarted the session the following happened.Firefox and Mozilla both now require two clicks on any link to open the next page. On the first click all I get is a window saying "This page contains no data". OK, I've seen that before on occasion, but now it's happening nearly every time on nearly every link. It can't be a FF thing, because Moz is doing the same thing, but Konq doesn't. The settings in both FF and Moz are my usual "open a link in a new tab of the same window" and "focus on newly opened tab". New tabs are set to open in the foreground. But similar settings in Konq don't produce the same problem. And it all began by me changing the monitor type and screen resolution.Any ideas what might be going on? I could unistall/reinstall both browsers, but currently Synaptic tells me the repository is unavailable to reinstall them. ;)

My second install on the main system ( yesterday was the test-system ) was painless . . . . . . . everything works . . . :PB) BrunoPS: Jeber, I know anti-aliassing eats RAM . . . . . ;)

3). It takes very long to boot . . . . 3:10 minutes . . . . it waits a long time at hotplug, udev, and after the verbose text before the login.
Bruno, Does it still take 3 minutes and 10 seconds to boot?That's really to long in my opinion.And now with Jeber's firefox weirdness...Maybe p-9 was released to soon? :o

Well, my pleasure wanes and my confusion grows.The installation changed my partition table (what was hdb8 is now hdb2) and now I cannot restore Xandros and Mandriva has disappeared altogether from LILO. Windows is still there on hda1, and I was able to copy all my personal files over from Xandros and Mandriva to PCLos9, so if I have to reinstall, I now have 2 backups to fall back on. Meanwhile, I completely (as best I could tell) deleted everything Mozilla from PCL. I then downloaded FF to my local directory and ran the installer. Guess what? It opened with all my bookmarks still there and the same "...contains no data" nonsense as before. I swear there was no chrome directory left anywhere that a file search could find. So just for fun I deleted that entire directory and reinstalled just the FF browser from Synaptic. I opened FF (there are those bookmarks again...this ain't lookin' good), cleared the cache and history...and still get the warning but now on about every third link I click on.I'm going to go into the other room now and shoot myself...to prevent getting blood all over my computer. Then at some point, after I heal, I'll reinstall Mandriva and Xandros, restore my backups, then go down to the beach to see if I can find a jellyfish to send to Texstar. Just my little way of saying thanks. ;)

Well, my pleasure wanes and my confusion grows.The installation changed my partition table (what was hdb8 is now hdb2) and now I cannot restore Xandros and Mandriva has disappeared altogether from LILO.  Windows is still there on hda1, and I was able to copy all my personal files over from Xandros and Mandriva to PCLos9, so if I have to reinstall, I now have 2 backups to fall back on. 
Did you do a backup copy of your Lilo before you installed? I always do. I have found that it is real handy to send a copy to one of my online mailboxes such as gmail so that I have a copy handy. Mandriva should use a similar table such as what pclinuxos uses. You know how to mount your partitions. I simply went to each partition by running through the following series of steps.
mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 (my Suse)mkdir /boot/Suse (new boot folder for my lilo)cd /mnt/hda8/boot (change to the boot partition)cp *.* /boot/Suse/  (copies over all my boot files)mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7 (my Debian)mkdir /boot/Debcd /mnt/hdby/bootcp *.* /boot/Deb

If you do the same for your partitions where your Xandros and Mandriva are then you can copy your boot files over and have them so you can then add your entries for your lilo for those distros. Then edit your lilo to add the lines for your Xandros and Mandriva. Mandriva should pretty much mimic your pclos entry so it would be something like this:

image=/boot/Mandriva/vmlinuz-2.6.11.....        label = "Mandriva"        initrd = /boot/Mandriva/initrd-2.6.11.....        root = /dev/hd....        append = "resume=/dev/hda5 (swap)  splash=verbose "        vga = 788        read-only

I have not used Xandros but I assume it would be similar.

Meanwhile, I completely (as best I could tell) deleted everything Mozilla from PCL.  I then downloaded FF to my local directory and ran the installer.  Guess what?  It opened with all my bookmarks still there and the same "...contains no data" nonsense as before.  I swear there was no chrome directory left anywhere that a file search could find.  So just for fun I deleted that entire directory and reinstalled just the FF browser from Synaptic.  I opened FF (there are those bookmarks again...this ain't lookin' good), cleared the cache and history...and still get the warning but now on about every third link I click on.
Did you have it so it showed hidden files? After you installed PCLos it should have installed Firefox. Did you not reformat your partition? Or did you reuse a home? If you had a new home you could not have had any files from before. If you kept home I would go in with Konqueror and show all hidden files and then remove your Firefox folder from there since that is where it should have your personal settings. After you remove the hidden folder then try again. You might try making a backup of your home and then reinstalling reformatting home. Then copy over your files of things you want to keep without the hidden files.
I'm going to go into the other room now and shoot myself...to prevent getting blood all over my computer.  Then at some point, after I heal, I'll reinstall Mandriva and Xandros, restore my backups, then go down to the beach to see if I can find a jellyfish to send to Texstar.  Just my little way of saying thanks. ;)

Blood on the computer is a mess to clean up. Good plan. You have jellyfish already? Even though it has been in the mid 90s this week our water temps are still too cold for the jellies!