Recommend an IDE DVD Burner?

jeffw_00

I'm disappointed to say that my Sony CD-RW from July 2003 died this week - less than 2 years! (I'm working on doing a claim to my credit card company for their double warranty).So, before I just buy another sony. What others should I consider?Other than as a CD-reader, the drive gets quite occasional use (I may burn 25 disks a year). I see internal drives on newegg for as little as $40 (see the NEC drive below)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152039or the sony is $129.I assume it's not hard to get one that covers all formats these days? (so I don't have to make any choices there)?)any suggestions? Thanks!/j

My preferences in order:PlextorPlextorPlextor!!! :'( Seriously, If you burn so few a year, get the cheapest one you can find. The LG models are quite a bargain. Most burners are now dual layer read/write, i.e., they can write 8.5 GB on DVD+R DL media. But I wouldn't go so cheap that the quality suffers.Plextor, Pioneer, NEC, Sony, and LG are the brands I recommend.

Thanks guys - seems like it's worth it to pay up for the DL (more is always better). The Plextors start at $85http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827131355but I can get an NEC for $64http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152047Peachy wrote.."But I wouldn't go so cheap that the quality suffers."I wouldn't either, but how do you know how cheap that is 8-}???/Thanks for the help guys - like i said, I don't really live in this space, so advice from those who do is very helpful./j

thanks henderrob - but I think I might as well buy something that writes the double-layer disksLooking on the web - it looks like the Plextor is really a BenQ, and the NEC may be a better choice. Problem is that all these drives are too new for there to be much in the way of reviews - I feel like my need occurred just at the cusp of when the DL burners are coming out. Maybe I'll try to get by without one for a month until the dust settles. I hate to buy a 4.7GB one when the double-density ones are about to appear. At 8.5GB they could be useful for backups...thanks all - any more insights?/j

Edited by jeffw_00

Looking on the web - it looks like the Plextor is really a BenQ,
Huh? That's not correct. A Plextor is a Plextor. BenQ is a BenQ. ;)

J/I have a NEC 3520A and it works great, haven't had an issue yet with DVD (reg or DL) or CD..in either Win or linux

Okay, I noticed the model number for the Plextor was PX-740A. This is a new model, less than a month old. Looks like it's a stripped down version of the PX-716A (2 MB vs. 8 MB cache, 8x DVD+R vs. 16x DVD+R). It almost looks to be a replacement for the PX-708A.

but it does DVD-VL at 8x vs 4X - is that important? There's a refurbished 716A on newegg for $85. Remember - I'm an OCCASIONAL user 8-}(wondering if the $64 NEC would be so bad 8-}) /j

I'm sorry but Plextor isn't that great. Yes it's the fastest, but every round up I've ever seen that includes a Lite-On shows it coming in a strong second, finishing first quite a bit of the time. Not to mention that they're usually about half as expensive and at the most 5% slower.Their support is great too, I had a cdrw go out on me after about 14 months (never said they were perfect). I called them up and since it was so close to being in warranty they took care of me anyway.btw I don't suggest benq. I bought one of those really cheap drives (cendyne) it died after 6 months, but the company died after 4. I did some digging and found out it was a benq. I did some more digging and it turns out that model had major issues. But since mine was branded cendyne instead of benq I didn't get any help. Well other than they offered to sell me a new benq for retail price! My buddy bought the same cendyne, but he got lucky and got a Lite-On (they were a supplier). I don't think benq should've given me a new drive or anything, but it doesn't bode well for their quality. On the plus side everything I read online says they replaced the bad drives branded as benqs.

Edited by genaldar

I'm sorry I don't remember seeing any NECs. I generally just pay attention to the top couple spots.btw here is a Lite-ON dual layer at New Egg. It's $46.99, retail (full year warranty) and has free shipping.Wow I just realized I sound like an infomercial for Lite-ON.

Edited by genaldar

thanks - the lite-on is DVD-DL+R at 4x, the NEc is DVD+R DL 8XDVD-R DL 4Xshould i care? are these real #s (or is there something else that limits all of them to 2x or some such)thanks/j

thanks VERY much Ed - if I can draw assumptions between drives in the same family (3500 vs 3540, etc), then this is VERY helpful - thanks!Given that it was a sony that just disappointed me, I want to try something else - no rational reason really 8-}

well - this thread seems to have run out of steam - sounds like as long as i stick with a 'top-10' brand (plextor, NEC, Sony, even Lite-on' I have equal chances of doing well - I have one followup but I will start a different thread for that -thanks!/j

martinultima

I don't know about DVD burners, never had any sort of DVD drive in my machine, but I do know that Lite On makes really nice CD drives. All my computers have Lite On drives, my desktop has a CD burner and another desktop I converted into a Web server has its old CD-ROM.