Slackware Live CD

Bruno

Like Knoppix and DemoLinix, now you can also try Slackware that runs from CD.From Freshmeat:

Slackware Live CD is a 200MB live Linux distribution on CD that is based on Slackware. It features many add-ons, including the scripts required to create your own live CD.The ISO image fits the 190MB CD-RW medium now. There are new mouse cursors for Xwindows. KDE 3.1.2 , Kopete 0.6.2 (a lot of bugs fixed), a flag for international keyboard support under KDE, the ability to run something automatically after booting (autoexec), and the Quanta HTML and PHP WYSIWYG editor have been added. The ramdisk takes 22 MB now to raise free ramdisk space. Mplayer has been recompiled for CPU autodetection. Some 75dpi international fonts have been removed, as has emacs.
Slackware Live HomepageThe ISO file ( 200 MB ):) Bruno

Was just sending you a PM about it, I knew for sure you would like this !Happy Slacking Quint.:) Bruno

Was just sending you a PM about it, I knew for sure you would like this !Happy Slacking Quint.B) Bruno
Happy is correct! :D This is one clean distro you've let us in on, thanks. ;) Really would like to have the cursors in Mandrake. Had to type "win" into the command line - I was lost otherwise. Great deal of apps, etc. included in the 195 MB d/l. This seems to be a "keeper"; will have to get the books out and study, study... :blink: Probably just my enthusiasm, but it seems snappier on the CD than Knoppix. :unsure: So far, would recommend everyone to try it (if they are so inclined). Might even be possible d/l on dial-up. ;) P.S.: Netscape 7.02 is not that bad (using right now), but still prefer MozillaFirebird. ;)

Quint, Da Man !A little more then one hour after posting this topic, our friend Quint is posting from his new Slackware Live CD . . . . . . . . what a response time !Look at him smiling the happy Slacker, just look at him . . our multi distro muncher :DBet you will soon be installing Slack 9.0 on your HD, Quint . . . . perhaps just to get your Slacky cursor.Brilliant Quint, brilliant !:unsure: Bruno

...one more thing: I never had to configure ANYTHING! From booting the CD to right now, about 15 minutes. :blink: Just have to figure out how to get sound, as I don't have a sound card, just "on-board". B) My economical home-built PC).(?) I even had to configure my video card in Knoppix. This Slack Live didn't burp at all at my NIC and router! Great. :unsure:

That is great, just to let you know that Suse released their latest version 8.2 Live CD too.

SuSE Linux for i386 Live-EvalSuSE makes the live-eval version of SuSE Linux available for download as an ISO image. This version runs entirely from the bootable CD and is not installed on the hard disk.If you want to get to know SuSE Linux or test if your hardware is fully supported, the live-eval version is the right choice for you.The ISO image is located in the respective directory under ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/su...inux/index.html

That´s great Zox !More Live CD´s, in fact it is a pure miracle . . . . people spend a whole afternoon installing an OS . . . and then there are these live CD´s that do the trick in a few minutes, make you surfing the net and sending email from a multi app system in 10 minutes flat . . . . it´s a pure miracle !And now we have choice as well: Knoppix, DemoLinux, Freeduc, Slackware and SuSE . . . . who´s next ?:unsure: Bruno

That is great, just to let you know that Suse released their latest version 8.2 Live CD too.
SuSE Linux for i386 Live-EvalSuSE makes the live-eval version of SuSE Linux available for download as an ISO image. This version runs entirely from the bootable CD and is not installed on the hard disk.If you want to get to know SuSE Linux or test if your hardware is fully supported, the live-eval version is the right choice for you.The ISO image is located in the respective directory under ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/su...inux/index.html
zox,Have already tried out SuSE Live, and that was what inspired me to attempt the FTP d/l; did get through that, and currently have SuSE 8.2, Mandrake 9.1, RedHat 9.0, and (hopefully), Slackware 9.0, on my all-Linux drive. Also had Knoppix 3.2 installed on the hdd, but kids and the wife saw fit to make it unusable. B) Oh well, this old man enjoys installing / re-installing, much of the time. :blink: Thanks for the suggestion - I do enjoy SuSE. :unsure:

And now we have choice as well: Knoppix, DemoLinux, Freeduc, Slackware and SuSE . . . . who´s next ?B) Bruno
Freeduc? Must have missed that one. :unsure: Hello, Google...tell me where I can meet Freeduc. :blink:

QuintStill hungry for more distro´s Quint ? Freeduc is an educational distro, specially for schools, with language games, typing learning tools, mathematics and science.Got a free CD with a magazine a few month ago. In basic very simular to DemoLinux but the with all the edutainment packages. From what I saw of the screenshots of Slack live and knowing my Slack 9.0, I think Slack is the Top !Knoppix has still an ¨oldfashon¨ feel about it. I do not know about SuSE live, we do need you to tell us the differece between the Slack live and SuSE live CD. :unsure:Here is a link to Freeduc info.:blink: Bruno

Guest LilBambi
Freeduc is a "run-from-CD" Linux distribution based on Knoppix and created by OFSET in France: "Until now - and probably for a while in most heads - the GNU/Linux system at school has been perceived as a good replacement of other proprietary servers. However the server is probably the least important thing in terms of freedom in a school network. It doesn't allow a teacher to share a workstation software with students. Supporting GNU/Linux in the workstation side can grant higher freedom and liberty between users in a school. Therefore, OFSET has setup Freeduc, a tool to help to list, to evaluate and to package only free - non GPL exclusive - edu soft."
as stated at: DistroWatch FreeducHere's their homepage:Freeduc

Better tell it double then not at all Fran :unsure: funny those crossposts at exact the same time.:blink: Bruno

Don't know if you guys know this, but I tried Live Slackware many years ago. It was available on the same CDROM. One had a choice of installing it or simply running it from the CD. It was put out by WGS Linux Pro. Their version was always behind one or two versions. They only released their package with a known stable kernel version. But in those days, Linux was not as good as it is today. Most of the perpherals were not supported, and it was basically a good server, but not a good general purpose OS at the time.So I guess old technology is catching up with the latest updates.

And now we have choice as well: Knoppix, DemoLinux, Freeduc, Slackware and SuSE . . . . who´s next ?
since you;re a shareholder, why not ask if there will be a Mandrake live-eval CD? it'd be a good way to compare all major distros before choosing which to install, unless you're like Bruno or Quint and want EVERY distro installed :D

This is good now, I can try slackware out before installing...This is just to much fun...ummm either that or I'm just easily amused!!! :D

LOL Most likely true :D..But I'm more like the type that juggles six things at once and wonders where the time went ;)

Well... downloaded both Slackware Live and SuSE Live... Slack is a very simple setup that worked fairly well (minus the internet access)... It tried to load DHCP, but don't think it could figure out which of my two cards actually used the internet. B) Not much to play with since it's only 200Mb...SuSE live eval was a much more full featured version (that's why it's 700Mb)... The thing I don't like is that it basically does an install and not just a load... it writes some settings to your HD so you can load much faster the second time though... Still would rather have it just keep settings on CD... Again, wouldn't connect to the net... dunno what the problem is... it identified the correct network card and tried to grab an address from DHCP, but wouldn't do it... I tried a few different things but couldn't get it to work... Pretty cool as it comes with OpenOffice and much more stuff though... Might have to try a full install of SuSE sometime :rolleyes:

Again, wouldn't connect to the net...  dunno what the problem is... it identified the correct network card and tried to grab an address from DHCP, but wouldn't do it...  I tried a few different things but couldn't get it to work...  Pretty cool as it comes with OpenOffice and much more stuff though...  Might have to try a full install of SuSE sometime :rolleyes:
How are you connected to the internet? Directly to a Cable or DSL modem or through a broadband router? Which DCHP server are you telling it to lookup? Your ISP or your router if you have one?

directly to the cable modem (but have a second NIC connected to my second PC)... the DHCP server of my ISP...

Guest ThunderRiver

Does it actually boot?I wish they could get their bootloader work right on version 9.x.I downloaded their ISO image of Slackware 9, but it doesn't boot off the CD on 10 of my machines.. I even used a different CD writer/burner..nope doesn't work. It doesn't make much sense, but I hope their LiveCD works much better. Based on the tradition, Slackware is supposed to be very modular and slim, and I am glad that the LiveCD is no larger than 200 Mb.. good job Slackware :)

ThunderRiverMy Slackware 9.0 booted no problem from CD and was very easy to install compaired to the 8.1 version !;) Bruno

ThunderRiverMy Slackware 9.0 booted no problem from CD and was very easy to install compaired to the 8.1 version !B) Bruno
Bruno, Tried to install Slackware 9.0 - since I had such good success /w the "Live CD" - it would not install. :( So I d/l two other "iso's", from two different mirror sites, burned to CD's, same result! :( Guess my generic, home-built system is not good enough. :angry: Here is the error message that I received every time (even tried the optional kernels included): "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e0829b05." Bad EIP value.Why this problem, when the "Live CD" installed and ran flawlessly, without having to configure anything? :unsure: Guess I'm destined to be a Mandraker, which is fine by me. :)

Guess my generic, home-built system is not good enough.
We nearly all have selfbuilt systems Quint, and no other distro ever gave you this result. Did you do a checksum on the ISO´s ? There is also a checksum for already burned CD´s in The Tips.Also did you read the README´s and INSTALL textfiles on your CD before install ? Strange the things you run into lately . . Have a look here for bad EIP value.Did you try the <linux noapic> at boot ?:unsure: Bruno

Guess my generic, home-built system is not good enough.
We nearly all have selfbuilt systems Quint, and no other distro ever gave you this result. Did you do a checksum on the ISO´s ? There is also a checksum for already burned CD´s in The Tips.Also did you read the README´s and INSTALL textfiles on your CD before install ? Strange the things you run into lately . . Have a look here for bad EIP value.Did you try the <linux noapic> at boot ?B) Bruno
Thanks for your always pertinent info, Bruno. I am guilty of not having done the checksum of the "iso's", but I figured that three different mirrors, and same result, must be my machine. :( Won't give up, though...and you've got me thinking right now - why have I been having these problems of late? :unsure: No, did not try <linux noapic> at boot, as soon as I get back from the chores though, I will, as well as re-read the readme's. Thanks much, as always. :angry:

Quint, just to refresh your memory: B) :(

BASIC RULES FOR INSTALLI know it´s a bit late to come with basic install tips, but it looks like a good thing to give a few guidelines:1) Don´t forget to do a good backup of important data on your computer even if it is on a partition that won´t be effected by the install !2) Make a plan in advance on how you want your partitions done ( see page 4 of The Tips ) and what filesystem you want to use ( Ext3, ReiserFS  etc. )3) Do not uses all your free space of the windows partition, you might want to leave some working-space there for adding new programs or temp files ( CD burning programs need at least 700 MB temp ) we don´t want to cripple your windows OS. :)4) BIOS: Put the entry: PnP aware OS on NO !5) BIOS: First boot device: CD-rom, second Floppy, third IDE-06)  Check out the README and INSTALL text files on your CD7) Note down the root-password you make during install. ( once you have used it a couple of times you can burn the evidence :( )8) Install the bootloader Lilo or Grub in the MBR ( it will include your windows options automaticly ).9) ALWAYS make a boot-floppy ! ( and check if it really works )Pin this on the wall, and read it again every time you make a new install ! :)
You might aswell check if there is nothing else you forgot . . . . . . . . . . . :angry: :( :) :unsure: :) Bruno