Why you shouldn't use Linux!

zox

Great article Zox! As much as most of us love Linux, it's still important to note that it's not for everyone... Also, there are many of us who will never get past a dual-boot system (me for example) because there's just too much that Linux WON'T do... Maybe someday it'll get to the point where it's a true home-friendly OS, but as of right now, it is still not for everyone. B) B)

twistedcranium

Wow...the part about Linuxers reading documentation is dead on. In windows a typical user can get by without reading a lick of documentation. I have yet to meet a linux user that hasn't MANned or HOWTO'd something.

Thanks for the link, zox; very well written and interesting...informative. Guess it comes down to a person's reasons for changing, and how much they desire that change. All in all, must agree with their choice of distributions; Mandrake - IMO - would be the right place to begin...more forgiving to the total novice overall. After that, just keep on trying different flavors. :rolleyes:

nlinecomputers

Oh so true. I fix Windows problems all the time that would be solved without me if the end user would just RTFM! OTOH I'd be out of a job if they did that. :rolleyes: Linux is for people that ENJOY tinkering with their systems. Of course once fine tunned it is pretty much something you can walk away from.

A great Read!!! Ryan I'm like you,,I'll dual boot til the cows come home..not because of any certain programs or anything political..I just like toys..LOL..Twisted ..Your right the average windows users is point and click..most don't know(or care about ) the difference between hardware,,software..application or OS..much less kernel..it just isn't up there on their list of priorities. But then again a fairly straight forward load of say Redhat..Suse or Mandrake, with the exception of some gamers..would appeal.and doesn't require the man pages.and with some minor exceptions is as "easy" as windows particularly if it your run og the mill e-mail, IM websurfer. But..You can tell windows users don't read the "Manuals" either when problems occur.. I'm not sure why but some where along the line linux has been dubbed "Hard" for Geeks..etc... To me it's different, but to most apps users..openoffice or Koffice works pretty much the same as word(Global view , I open doc..type doc save doc...print doc)..(Ok assuming your printer and modem drivers work he he in either OS.Is Linux for everyone..probably not. But it could Be LOL

Guest LilBambi

Very good article. Many folks don't want to go back to learning all over again. Quint is right, it comes down to your reasons for turning to Linux in the first place.Moving to Linux is a total learning experience, back to school in a hurry! You are pretty much back to square one ... like when you first started with computers (whenever that was, for me it was 1986), or with Windows (back when it FIRST came out, Blech!).I remember when I first started with DOS and it was an exciting challenge but many folks just never went there! They waited for the first REAL version of Windows before trying it. Others waited till Windows 98 or later to start their trek into computers.My first introduction to a pseudo GUI was GEM for Ventura Publisher. Now that was an amazing new learning experience! And Ventura Publisher was the only kid on the block for non-MAC graphics publishers at the time. My only experience with any pseudo GUI before that was Quarterdeck products which made DOS quite nice for certain tasks.If you aren't willing to take the time to learn, or don't have the time to learn, or need to be fully functional TODAY, there really isn't any point in opening yourself up to the head-banging frustration of learning something new and different. There really is a very real learning curve. And one needs to know and come to terms with that when looking into alternative OSes.But having said that, if one is willing to learn, it is a wonderful and absolutely worthwhile endeavor! One you will never regret.Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

All has been said by the people here above . . . . . all I could do is PIN the topic !:D Bruno
heh... went to "all thing linux" and very first article at top is "why you shouldnt use linux" :rolleyes: let's not forget the other article from the same site, Why Use Linux ;)stilll, a good article, i agree with many of their points. maybe a few more distros and some of those poiints can be eliminated. for example, some of the recent distros can bypass all 100% the konsole mode, doing everything thru GUI.

Some stuff seems a bit outdated but in general it gives a picture to new user, what to expect from Linux.Remember Prelude76, we don't want to force Linux down to everyone's throat.This is just an eye opening and maybe link to "Why we should use Linux" would be better placed in "Windows" forum :D :rolleyes:

All has been said by the people here above . . . . . all I could do is PIN the topic !:( Bruno
heh... went to "all thing linux" and very first article at top is "why you shouldnt use linux" :rolleyes: let's not forget the other article from the same site, Why Use Linux ;)stilll, a good article, i agree with many of their points. maybe a few more distros and some of those poiints can be eliminated. for example, some of the recent distros can bypass all 100% the konsole mode, doing everything thru GUI.
Some stuff seems a bit outdated but in general it gives a picture to new user, what to expect from Linux.Remember Prelude76, we don't want to force Linux down to everyone's throat.This is just an eye opening and maybe link to "Why we should use Linux" would be better placed in "Windows" forum
You´re a crazy bunch, you never disappoint me, all of you react like I would have expected. . . LOL :( :( :D :DB) Bruno

Some stuff seems a bit outdated but in general it gives a picture to new user, what to expect from Linux.Remember Prelude76, we don't want to force Linux down to everyone's throat.This is just an eye opening and maybe link to "Why we should use Linux" would be better placed in "Windows" forum  :(  :D
post it in Windows forum? wouldnt that violate our cease-fire? :rolleyes:

Ditto on all the previous responses, but I'll add this:The toughest part of adapting to Linux is the terminology. I may know what I want to do, but I don't know how to ask the question (asking person-to-person is different than looking it up in a book). In the book I may find a topic that looks that it has promise in getting me going, but within that description is a term I don't understand, so, I go to look that up, and that process is regressive. So maybe I've read for an hour or two and I've followed so many links that I 've lost sight of the original goal.I (dimly) remember going through the same thing with DOS and windows (I almost threw my first DOS machine out the window -- no pun intended -- there was no MS windows back then). But I eventually gained enough foundation knowledge so that I had something to build on - I expect the same thing to happen with Linux.But it begs the question - why bother? I can do in Windows everything I need to do on a computer, so what do I need Linux for?The answer is -- I don't need it. But I'm curious, and I like to learn new stuff. But for anyone expecting the transition from Windows to be easy, painless and immediate, they're kidding themselves (which the article says).Abe

ahhh... the DOS days.... i remember those. first thing i ever did on my first computer (386SX-16.. it wasnt even the DX model) was look in book, have to format the floppy disk, ok, type C:/> FORMAT then said YES. hehe... formatted C: Drive on my first try, then panicked when it wouldnt boot up. i just *hope* i'm not that stupid this time around when i'm learning Linux. :rolleyes:

You´re a crazy bunch, you never disappoint me, all of you react like I would have expected. . . LOL  :D :rolleyes: :( :DB) Bruno
True oh Great and Wise Penguin Master....You have taught us well!!!

post it in Windows forum? wouldnt that violate our cease-fire? unsure.gif
Every time you show up in Windows forum with your "Powered by Suse" avatar, you are violating the "cease-fire" :) :) :)

:) Why wouldn't we want to "force Linux down everyone's throat"?I think it should be a compulsory subject in schools.But then I think everyone should have a computer license before they are allowed to buy a computer.

I disagree with the article - many applications and games can be done in linux with proper installation of software - and it fails to mention that.Computer not powerful enough? - ugh - look at XP. Poorly written I believe. The adaptation is the toughest that I will give to them.

Every time you show up in Windows forum with your "Powered by Suse" avatar, you are violating the "cease-fire"  :P  :P  ;)
:P come on now, they're 'WINDOWS' users, they probably think SuSE is some sort of car from Europe or some custom Honda experts like Mullen :D and besides, why not use my current "dual-citizenship" to rush back into the Windows P.O.W. camp and rescue them poor souls ;) :P and greengeeK: we dont want to force linux down everyone's throat because we would become as evil as Mr. Gates of **** himself :D instead, let's just show everyone who's stuck in the fires of computing dll **** how nice and cool the water off antarctica is ;)

Guest genaldar
ahhh... the DOS days.... i remember those.  first thing i ever did on my first computer (386SX-16.. it wasnt even the DX model) was look in book, have to format the floppy disk, ok, type C:/> FORMAT  then said YES.  hehe... formatted C: Drive on my first try, then panicked when it wouldnt boot up.  i just *hope* i'm not that stupid this time around when i'm learning Linux.  :rolleyes:
I didn't use dos much so this may be a stupid question. How did you manage to format the drive that dos resided on from dos? Wouldn't the computer have just returned errors when it got to files that were in use?btw I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but family guy was cancelled almost 2 years ago, I don't think it's coming back. Futurama on the other hand could still be saved since it wasn't cancelled until march of this year they're probabaly partially done shows that could be completed in time for the fall season (post football anyway).

I didn't use dos much so this may be a stupid question.  How did you manage to format the drive that dos resided on from dos?  Wouldn't the computer have just returned errors when it got to files that were in use?btw I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but family guy was cancelled almost 2 years ago, I don't think it's coming back.  Futurama on the other hand could still be saved since it wasn't cancelled until march of this year they're probabaly partially done shows that could be completed in time for the fall season (post football anyway).
the FORMAT.COM command is only like 70kb, and it was fully in memory so gave no error when it formatted itself.i never got into futurama, so i doesnt worry me too much. and family got canceled once before, and brought back by FOX. and now they're getting more popular with daily runs on Comedy Channel and also DVD versions are out for season 1 & 2, so i hope the rising popularity of reruns convinces someone, anyone, even Spike TV, to re-launch it. but i doubt it myself too. :)