"On" is not On

longgone

You should be grateful that you have something challenging to do! My pcs are so well behaved at the moment I'm thinking of pulling my Mac to pieces to see what makes it tick.

I'm thinking of pulling my Mac to pieces to see what makes it tick.
A glutton for punishment, I am not .... but if you must .. go for it ... :pirate: :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

............ :D :P ...Update ... now I have another machine in the mix ... does same thing ... BUT ... I am real close to positive the problem lies in the PSU ... would like some input from y'all about my suggestion ... since the only change I did was the m/b ...

.....Very good Temmu... :'( :P ... Yes I did have that board/cpu in a different case/PSU ... a 525W unit and it was good ... that was where I got the conclusion that the PSU might be inadequate .. it might be something to do with the +5v standby line .. not sure though ..

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbsup: :blink: ...Update ..(maybe)..well the first board in question is back in its box, waiting to see if the seller will refund .. if not back to mfgr I go ... now on to the other goodies ... ASRock K7S8X m/b, AMD XP2400+ cpu, 512mb PC2100/DDR266 ram (2x256), video card 64mb ram, new burner, basically all new stuff .. installed XP w/SP2 .. went up on web to msn for updates d/l'd a bunch of updates and out of nowhere the machine freezes .. click reset ,, continue on ,, 45 or so mins later, freezes again, did this three times ... following day , put the case cover on and now it is lucky if I can even make to a web connection ... my suspicion is the CPU is getting HOT ... any other suggestions/recommendations ... ??

:D  :)  :hysterical: ...................lewmur ................ I had that same thought my own self .. so I will use one of my other PSU's just to see ...      BUT ... sort of in hand with this thread ... the  "pwr LED"  wires go into one of those connectors that is big enough to cover 3 pins .. naturally that won't fly .. I do have 1 adapter for 3 to 2 pins .. (whewww) .. just wondering if any of you have come across a vendor that carries that adapter ... :whistling:  ;)

Sorry if this has been answered already, but (I don't have the time to read the whole thing) you can buy a pin removal tool (it's a 3" piecs of metal with a tapered end) to remove those small pins. I can't imagine it would cost much. You could also probably use something else in it's stead.

Stonegiant....No answer, but, X-acto knife, cut the connector in half, turn sideways and fits just fine, what I yet to understand is why this case (brand new just out of the box) does not have functioning hdd or pwr on leds. I have put three different m/b's in and they just not working ... anyway this post is from that "freeze" machine .. cover is off and a new & different heatsink/coolong fan is installed. Hated to use it since it is one of those variable speed type...