Alternative Email Software

zox

Guest LilBambi
Long thread to fully assimilate but surprised I see no mention of interest in small LAN access. My question is …. are any of you using your recommended program on two or more machines at home?I would suspect that many of you have more than one computer at home and if so are networked.  How do you handle e-mail.  OE will not permit use of a common file.  I have have been using Pegasus for several months because it will - but I liked OE much better and time with Pegasus has not made me  found.  Steve suggests using Windows Remote Desktop.  Neither of my computers is running Windows XP Pro yet but I have tried Tight VNC, which performs the same function.  However with one display running at 800 x 600 and another at  1152 x 864, a connection from the 800x 600 display requires scrolling both horizontally and vertically to view the screen on the other - which was set up at comfortable size for the higher resolution. Ed
We use one computer to access email server and then we access the local lan to get mail.If I want to get email on more than one computer, I set my main Windows email client (OE) to not delete messages from the server so I can catch them on the other computer; or I keep OE closed and use my linux box (Mozilla mail) to receive them initially and then delete what I don't want and then bring them into OE on my Windows box.Helps with handling issues with potential Windows virii as well.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zox

• Scot

• Ziba

• theHammer

Top Posters In This Topic

Long thread to fully assimilate but surprised I see no mention of interest in small LAN access. My question is …. are any of you using your recommended program on two or more machines at home?
I'm using Pegasus on my desktop and laptop and like LilBambi, I have my laptop set to leave the mail on the server so I can pull it down from the server with my desktop. Pegasus has a feature called selective download so you can preview headers and either delete it, download it, or leave it there. I use that to keep an eye on my work account as well. Managing the mail this way keeps it all in one place but allows me to check it from either machine.Chris

Guest LilBambi
Long thread to fully assimilate but surprised I see no mention of interest in small LAN access. My question is …. are any of you using your recommended program on two or more machines at home?
I'm using Pegasus on my desktop and laptop and like LilBambi, I have my laptop set to leave the mail on the server so I can pull it down from the server with my desktop. Pegasus has a feature called selective download so you can preview headers and either delete it, download it, or leave it there. I use that to keep an eye on my work account as well. Managing the mail this way keeps it all in one place but allows me to check it from either machine.Chris
I really like Pegasus but ...That's why I wish Pegasus would allow multiple accounts with different settings within one identity ... it has a lot of great features, but won't let you do what I need most :( It also doesn't import addressbook properly which is a real drag as well. I have information strew in all tabs of my addressbook. :rolleyes:

Long thread to fully assimilate but surprised I see no mention of interest in small LAN access. My question is …. are any of you using your recommended program on two or more machines at home?I would suspect that many of you have more than one computer at home and if so are networked.  How do you handle e-mail.
Thank you!! I have a 4-computer LAN at home. I previously used Netscape 4.79 for email - could share a common folder for email. The only thing that you couldn't do was have the email folder open on 2 computers at the same time (not a problem!). I have moved to Mozilla 1.3, including email & like the email included. It can't share profiles like 4.79, but I have managed a work-around so that I can share email using different profiles & making use of the local folders. A pain to set up, but I can access email from any of my computers, don't have to repeatedly download, etc. I use MailWasher to preview before download. I have been closely following the Mozilla development & been begging for the ability to share a single email profile around a LAN. It sounds like Mozilla is going to make major changes after 3.1 - I keep hoping that this will be one of the changes made!

I used to use Eudora at both work and home (downloading from both places). I used my Palm Pilot to sync my address books and email with each other (no more hassle than keeping current addresses and emails on my Palm Pilot)... The bummer was when they killed pop-email access at work... Now I just remote connect to my home PC and run my email from there... Not quite as cool, but still works (better than webmail!!!).

I really like Pegasus but ...That's why I wish Pegasus would allow multiple accounts with different settings within one identity ... it has a lot of great features, but won't let you do what I need most :ph34r: It also doesn't import addressbook properly which is a real drag as well. I have information strew in all tabs of my addressbook. :unsure:LilBambi,My e-mail needs at home are modest, Pegasus gives me some protection from the nasties, and the more I use it, the more I like it, BUT, I realize no one program will do it all for everyone. I tried many different clients, and most of them were ok. Pegasus is free, and handles my needs perfectly well. No e-mail client has gotten it 100% right, (for me anyway). I'm not thrilled with Pegasus's foldering scheme or the address book interface, but the gripes are minor for what is free software. Outlook is really not an e-mail client, OE is too vunerable in my opinion. I prefer stand alone clients because I don't want to be forced into installing a browser and 101 add-ons that I don't really want. I used to use Lotus Notes at work and always wished they would offer a scaled down home version of it, though that's not likely. I suppose we'll all have to keep looking for that "perfect" piece of software. With the plethora of e-mail clients out there, we're sure to find something we like, even if it's not "perfect". I haven't had the address book problem, though it's not awful easy to import one, I exported one from OE into a tab delimited file, opened in Excel to take a look at it, then imported it into Pegasus. I might not have the amount of data you do though, mine is mostly just e-mail addresses, all my contact info is in another program.Chris

LilBambi (Posted on Apr 11 2003, 06:03 PM) If I want to get email on more than one computer, I set my main Windows email client (OE) to not delete messages from the server so I can catch them on the other computerThis is fine for viewing on a client computer but if you want to respond while on that computer or even write a new note, it will be saved on that computer only. I would like to have a common database. Badcat's post on Apr 11 2003, 06:21 PM indicates he uses Pegasus in a similar manor but apparently does not use the common database feature which it permits accessing the common database of received (and sent) mail and doing your thing from that machine.Siebkens indicates he has been able to configure Mozella to use a common database - sound like what I am looking for. I would appreciate Siebkens if you would expand on "profiles." I use different identities only as throw away addresses (when the spam gets out of my control) - I have only one ISP and see no need to pick up a free account such a Yahoo via my e-mail package - easy enough for me to just access directly. Is the profile feature that you are missing the need to set up identities/accounts at each machine (not too big a deal once done) or I suspect I am missing something? For the record I don't like Pegasus because for some unknown reason if my SMTP server goes down when I send, Pegasus hangs my computer repeatedly attempting the send. One click and it tries again so difficult to even get out. It then often then releases my connection and I have to do an ipconfig /release and renew. The biggest problem however is the lousy spelling checker - it rarely suggests the correct spelling - and in my case that is a big issue<g>.Ed

sunrat,Thanks for the link to Calypso! Does Calypso allow you to view the message headers, preview messages (in text only mode) and delete unwanted messages off the email server without downloading them? :)
ComputerBobYes. You can toggle full or brief headers.Yes. If the message contains a plain text body as well as html.Kind of. You can download the headers only to review them, and then delete the messages from the server without having to download the message bodies. There doesn't seem to be a way to preview the complete message on the server.Hope this helps. B)

Siebkens indicates he has been able to configure Mozella to use a common database - sound like what I am looking for.  I would appreciate Siebkens if you would expand on "profiles."  I use different identities only as throw away addresses (when the spam gets out of my control) - I have only one ISP and see no need to pick up a free account such a Yahoo via my e-mail package - easy enough for me to just access directly.  Is the profile feature that you are missing the need to set up identities/accounts at each machine (not too big a deal once done) or I suspect I am missing something?  Ed
The profiles that I am talking about are profiles set up within Mozilla (or NS), not email addresses.In Netscape 4.79, when you created a profile, you could share it, including mail, address book & bookmarks. It's been a while since I used that, so I don't remember the exact setup, but I don't remember it being too difficult. You can still download NS 4.79 for free as far as I know. Now in Mozilla 1.3 (or NS 7 - I tried that too) - can't share a single profile. So, I set up a profile named siebkens on my 1st computer & set up a different profile on 2nd (and 3rd and 4th when I get to it) computer called 2nd user. Within Mozilla mail account setup, pointed my 2nd user mail account to the mail account of the 1st computer (siebkens) mail account. Mail is shared, but unfortunately, bookmarks & address books aren't. I periodically copy those to the 2nd user profile. They don't change as much & as long as I am aware that any changes to these need to be made on my siebkens profile, it hasn't been a big deal. Mozilla says not to share profiles, but so far this has worked for me. I need to be able to check from more that one computer unless I want to throw the kids or husband off the fast computer (they hate it when I do that!) every time that I want or need to check email.

Guest ComputerBob
sunrat,Thanks for the link to Calypso! Does Calypso allow you to view the message headers, preview messages (in text only mode) and delete unwanted messages off the email server without downloading them? :)
ComputerBobYes. You can toggle full or brief headers.Yes. If the message contains a plain text body as well as html.Kind of. You can download the headers only to review them, and then delete the messages from the server without having to download the message bodies. There doesn't seem to be a way to preview the complete message on the server.Hope this helps. B)
Yes, that's helpful information. Thanks, Ziba! B)

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, as always what works for one situation doesn't always work for another B) Calypso sounds like it worth a look ... at least with the free version to see if it is worth working with.

Version 4.10 of Pegasus Mail was just released. Gotta love new versions! <_<
A day to late - just blew away 4.0, which I had been using for three months. It hung my computer (and I am running XP which does not hang - I remember Me) and released me from my connection one too many times so I am back with OE. I hope he also improved the address book and the difficulty activating hyperlinks - which I suppose is for your own protection but I really did not need somebody helping.Ed

• 1 month later...

Here is (I hope) a screenshot of all the filtering options available in Calypso. As far as I know, you can do any of this stuff without having to view the email. It's a great program.CalypsoFilters.png

Martini Lover

I am just an old fashioned guy, who still uses Outlook Express, and it works good for me. I use Mailwasher to check it perodically, and get rid of the spam. It handles 6 accounts for our family nicely. :rolleyes:

I have tried a few of the email clients suggested in here but haven't found one that will import all the mails (in their respective folders) from OE. As a lot of this is work related client correspondense, I need it as is.  I would like to find an email client that would take it all as is. It would than be goodbye to OE. I think Poco and foxmail (of course Eudora also) would import the messages but it would take me years to create folders and sort them all while still working.Thanks,Chris
I've never used OE, just Pine and Netscape before finding Mulberry. I had about 100 mail folders in Pine, and Mulberry imported them all quickly and without a hitch. Mulberry is shareware, not freeware, but it's not expensive (about $35, I think) and it doesn't cost anything to try. You can find it at http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry/ . It's likely to appeal to the same kinds of people who appreciate Eudora.Cybernut

The Bat! sounds nice and has many features I want, but not sure about it.So far OE is the only thing I like as far as abilities and interface, I just wish I could turn off the HTML portion or have it do like Pegasus does not loading pictures from remote locations, etc.
I'm a long time user of The Bat!, so if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I like it because it can do everything I used to do in Eudora (I used Eudora from the 1.x versions to the 4.x versions) without taking up the amount of resources that Eudora did. It's the best POP3 client I've ever used... :P BTW, it does the HTML and picture loading stuff you want. ;) When someone sends me an HTML mail I see the plain text version in one tab while the HTML version is in another tab of the viewing window...with pictures not loading in either version (I never load them but I think you can click on them to load them).

Cluttermagnet

Wow- A really long thread, but I learned a lot. For the record, I developed untypically cautious habits early on as a newbie, and I gravitated to Netscape over IE right away (back when it was Netscape v4.0x and 4.5). I first used something called EMC or EMCINT(?) for an email client, but I was always real bad about letting all my saved mail pile up, and if my files grew too large, it crashed the utility hard and it had to be reinstalled. I moved on to just using the client in Netscape for a while. It worked pretty good. Then I tried Eudora. I liked it a lot. At some point, my computer guru, being resigned to my dislike of Microsoft browsers and email clients (but not yet their OS's) put me on to Pegasus and Poco. You will notice a pattern here- that I mention a lot of other email clients but I never mention Outlook or OE. :D That's right, I have never used either. I was security conscious and I was starting to hear about self-executing macros targeting these clients, and I wanted nothing to do with them. This gives me a unique view on the issue of email clients, because I have never had any preconceptions about what these utilities should or should not do or look like. My three favorites have grown to be Pegasus, Poco, and Eudora, in about that order. Pegasus, my current favorite, does have a few rough edges such as the windows setup, but it has so many positives as well! I am especially fond of the selective message download feature. Although it is an 'older' software, it is constantly being improved by the author. I may take a look at a few of the others mentioned in this thread, but stuff like Incredimail just left me cold. I have no need for flashy html junk. If I want html, I will go surf the net. I just want a nice, well-behaved, text-only client that is more secure and gives me a lot of useful choices about how to set everything up. That is how my favorite three came to be. I will watch the Mozilla groups newest client and try it out at some point. To me it is entirely optional whether a client is bundled as a part of a browser or not, but I guess I would prefer to have most of my utilities separate. When something new comes along that looks worthwhile, I like to try it. With separate utilities, they are all basically interchangeable parts, and there is less emotional investment in holding onto 'packages' of software. :P Because I find special enjoyment in finding entirely freeware ways of doing things in Windows, it is pretty logical that Pegasus should end up being my favorite. :P

That's why I wish Pegasus would allow multiple accounts with different settings within one identity ... it has a lot of great features, but won't let you do what I need most  :(
The latest download of Pegasus, v4.12 public beta, does indeed allow multiple mail accounts per identity.

This is a very helpful and informative thread, any chance of it getting a "sticky"?

No e-mail client has gotten it 100% right, (for me anyway).
I couldn't agree more with Chris's observation, and I must admit I find that curious given how ubiquitous email is and how long it's been around. It seems like every shareware email client is more complicated and feature-rich than I need or want, and every freeware client excluding OE is either a bit too skimpy (like Popcorn, which is great for what it does, but didn't really fill the bill for me as a full email client) or quirky. But I haven't tried all that many yet, and it's encouraging to see that some people anyway have found clients that suit their needs.I'm hoping that the client built into Mozilla will do the trick for a while anyway, although I've never been very fond of the 2-in-1 application approach. I'm with Zox in anxiously awaiting the development of Thunderbird or whatever it ends up being called.--Michael

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi
That's why I wish Pegasus would allow multiple accounts with different settings within one identity ... it has a lot of great features, but won't let you do what I need most  :unsure:
The latest download of Pegasus, v4.12 public beta, does indeed allow multiple mail accounts per identity.
Wow! Quite impressed with the options in this new Pegasus. The only thing I didn't like was having to load my address book manually!Even so, I liked it so much I have switched to it, at least as a trial ... I really like the setup and the ability to send an email as any identity I want, etc.Finally got it all set up ... boy I was not looking forward to this! But email is much safer in Pegasus than in OE and I really like it.Few things are annoying still even so ... although I might figure all this out ... since I only started using it today, but, here goes:[*] haven't figured out how to add an email address to the address book from an email without it auto adding it. Any ideas?[*] is there a way to import your existing email address book? or will I have to keep working on adding them one by one?Other than those two things, I am REALLY liking what I see! And I can again use the preview pane, YEAH!

I have been an Outlook devotee since I gave up on the early Netscape mail versions. I've had multiple accounts for years. I like the rules I can set up. It plays very well with Exchange. I use Cloudmark Spamnet which has been very effective blocking around 99% of the spam that flows in every day. I might get one to two false positives a week in the Spam folder.I have found it much easier over time to stick with a single product. There may be some annoyances here and there but it is stable, does not crash, can recover nicely if it does. Never lost email with it. Never have to worry about, "will it import this or that?"I guess that was way off topic... sorry!

I forgot to say... you really should see the CRM product from** Uses a web client or Outlook. The Professional version does some very cool things with rear end business logic... all rendered in XML into Outlook.outlook-crm.jpgHere are some of the features for CRM Customer ServiceCase management: Create, assign, and manage customer service requests from initial contact through resolution, as well as manage communications and other activities. Service requests: Automatically associate incoming support inquiries with the appropriate case. Queuing: Send cases to a waiting area—the queue—where they can be easily accessed by individuals and teams. Routing and workflow: Route service requests automatically to the appropriate representative or teams for resolution, escalation, or reassignment. Searchable knowledge base: Resolve common support issues quickly by using a searchable knowledge base that contains relevant articles. Built-in review processes help ensure that published information is complete, correct, and properly tagged for search. Contract management: Create and maintain service contracts within Microsoft CRM to help ensure accurate billing for support incidents. Each time a support case is resolved, relevant contract information is updated automatically. E-mail management (includes auto-response e-mail): Maintain accurate customer-related communications records with automated tracking of customer e-mail messages. Generate and send auto-response e-mail to customer requests. Product catalog: Work with a full-featured product catalog that includes support for complex pricing levels, units of measure, discounts, and pricing options. Reports: Use comprehensive reporting tools to help identify common support issues, evaluate customer needs, track service processes, and measure service performance. Integration with Microsoft Business Solutions Financials: Microsoft CRM integrates easily with Microsoft Business Solutions Financial Management. Key data mapping includes accounts, contacts, product catalog, orders, and price lists. I'll shut up now...

Guest LilBambi

zlim --Checking into Dawn...thanks.Marsden11Thanks for a very nice synopsis, it certainly looks like a very nice business product.---OE and PegasusI have used OE for a very long time and have really liked it a lot. However, securing it is a pain. To be safe in OE, you need to use total plain text AND use the restricted zone for html AND go into Options to click allow attachments on and off like a crazy monkey as needed. It would have been nice if M$ had thought about that a bit and put those options as buttons on the Toolbar. It would have made life much easier.But even so, OE was the only email client that really did multiple email addresses within one identity in the way I wanted to do it. And it was the best one for allowing flat viewing of folders on the left, and emails on the right for the Inbox by default or whatever folder you chose. But with the new virii we had to turn off the preview pane :( which was a very nice feature.Now with the latest version of Pegasus, which I loved in the old days, I can now go back to Pegasus. I get the ability to use multiple email identities within one identity and easily use each one without switching real identities. I can again use the preview pane because it doesn't load any images from websites (unless you choose to on an individual basis), and won't run .vbs, activeX, etc. Plus I get the flat view I like with the folders on the left and emails for the given folder on the right, inbox by default.And after receiving an email with the latest Sobig worm in it today, I was very glad not to have to worry about whether I was receiving an email virus that hadn't been included in the defs just yet or do anything special to make sure whatever is in it won't run on its own.BTW: Content filtering is also built in to Pegasus 4.x.It is a very indepth program and there is a little learning curve for some of the features, but it is quite usable upon installation without fuss.I really like Pegasus a lot. Just working on that email address book thing...hopefully Dawn can help with that. Don't know yet.

Guest LilBambi

zlim --Thanks so much for the link to Dawn!It works like a champ on converting from OE address book to Pegasus! And a bunch of other email programs as well!Minor changes were all that was needed after the import ... totally amazing!Thanks again!BTW: Anther cool thing about Pegasus is that it minimizes to the system tray to alert you of incoming mail ... so cool.

• 10 months later...
http://www.hazeleger.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.plsnce you like foxmail so much ( I do too) I found this forum with English support.. it seems like a lot of questions have already been answered but of course I have cme up with more and posted them.. the guys that run the forum are also in tough with the developers and pass on suggestions and such.. enjoy!

• 1 year later...
Scot, ever since you recommended PocoMail I’ve stuck with it. I think it’s a great alternative to Outlook Express.http://www.pocomail.com/
I am a long time user of Calypso. It has recently been re-incarnated as Courier Email. Check it out, this is one of the best freeware email programs that I have found.http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courierBTW: Does anyone know if Foxmail is still being supported since it was sold?MikeB