Network problems

Candy

I have an XP Home and the nic card lets me go into "Advanced" and click "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection". I now have an XP Pro and I am trying to do the same thing with it. It was fixed up by a friend, so don't know what exactly he did. Anyway, when I go to the Local Area Connection Properties in my Network Connections, click on the "Advanced" tab, and click on the "Allow" box to set it up for others to browse from this machine, I get an error message saying "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start." Does anyone know how I can get this nic enabled? I would appreciate the help!!!! Candy

Candy,I've never seen this error message. I'd like to just check, though ... only one computer on any network can have (should have) this setting in vogue. And it should be the computer connected to your internet connection. I don't think this is the cause of the problem you're having, but it would be helpful if you could tell us more about your network. Also, what network card(s) are installed on your XP Pro PC?-- ScotP.S. I moved this to the Security and Networking forum because I think you'll get more help on this question there.

yellowpike

CandyICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is a "Service" listed in Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Right click the ICF (Internet Connection Firewall)/ICS icon and choose Properties. The Startup Type should be Manual and the Service Status Stopped by default. If they are differant from these use the drop down box and change them and click Apply.The problem is that ICF/ICS also depends on other services (Dependencies ) to run. If one or more of those is disabled ICF/ICS wil not run until this is corrected. You can view these Depenencies by selecting the Depenencies tab and verifiying their configuration.Here is a link that may helphttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...lt_settings.aspMaybe ask your friend if he disabled anything to add security ?regardsyellowpike

yellowpike

Hi GangDid a little more searching and found this http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/fix-repair-ics.aspCandy You may want to try a reinstall of ICS. See "Problem: I Re-installed of windows, now ICS will not work" in web link above (#6 in list).For Uninstall directions see"INFO: How to un-install ICS" on same page (first one listed)I suggest this because

It was fixed up by a friend, so don't know what exactly he did
A reinstall can't hurt anything eitherHope this helpsyellowpike

:) Thanks for the help so far, but so far, nothing's working.To answer Scott, I have 2 computers, both XP Home, hardwired together with a hub from a Sattelite modem. (Starband) Every time my husband has to shut down or restart, I go with him because of Starband's settings, and we have to use one computer as a gateway. Therefore, a friend of ours has fixed up an old HP to use as a gateway, with XP Pro, and very, very little else. When I tried to get the nic to allow others to use the HP as a gateway to the internet, I switched the modem from my hubby's computer to the HP, so it was the only one online. That's when I get the error message.I tried to check out the settings according to Yellowpike's info, and some of the settings are disabled, but not sure which ones would affect networking. I do know there is an "Internet Connection Sharing" device, set to Manual. There is not an "Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" line. Is this missing for a reason, or is this normal, even compared to the settings at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...lt_settings.asp Any help is REALLY appreciated. CandyPS: Any settings there that are disabled a problem?

Guest LilBambi

Is this HP computer in addition to the two XP Home computers (yours and your husband's)? If so, you may have to go to your husband's computer since it would appear that he was the gateway before (that's what it sounds like when you say if your husband does anything to his computer you lose access, sounds like he was the gateway).His computer would need to have ICS disabled so the new computer can even take over the job of gateway on the network.I hope I am reading this right. :)

LilBambi, yes, my hubby's computer is the gateway now, until we get this issue of the nic card resolved. As soon as we can, we'll reformat his computer or take out all the Starband software, but when we try to change the nic, we take the lead from the modem going to his computer and plug it into the HP, so he is effectively out of the loop alltogether. In other words, when we change the wire from his nic to the HP, it is the only computer on the net at that time, so don't think that could affect settings on the HP. It's as if we're starting from scratch with only one computer, the HP.I think it's somewhere in the settings of the HP, but danged if I can find out where.Thanks, Candy

yellowpike

Here is a paste from MS KB NOTE: You should only install ICS on the computer that you use to connect to the Internet. This computer is called the "host" computer. The other computers on the local area network (LAN) that use the host to connect to the Internet are called "client" computers. Link belowhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1LilBambi is on to something I think. While the error code you're seeing isn't listed in MS KBhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;230140which deals with multiple ICS clients,her suggestion makes sense to me (but what the **** do I know?).Maybe uninstall ICS from the other 2 PCs To Uninstall ICS: Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.Click Networking Services on the Windows Setup tab, and then click Details.Click to de-select the Internet Connection Sharing check box, click OK, and then click OK again.Follow the instructions to run the ICS wizard.Ain't technology grand.....yellowpike

yellowpike

Forgot to add....

There is not an "Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" line
ICS and ICF is what I have I have listed in my Services. I'm running XP pro on the laptop I'm usingand my son is on our XP home machine doing his homework. I WILL NOT provide him with an excuse forstopping while I check for Services nomenclature... if ya know what I mean?Keep On Truckinyellowpike

Here's the problem and solution. In order to use ICS the ICS computer needs two NICs. Microsoft forgets to mention that in its documentation. That's why you are getting the errors. It can't find the second NIC to configure. Remember, when you use a computer as a gateway from one network (your LAN) to another (the internet) the gateway computer requires two network interfaces. Here's a set of detailed instructions from Windows Annoyances.

Sorry, the HP has two nics. One is for hooking up the Satellite modem, and the other one is for the rest of the network, IF we get the rest of the network working! I know this is supposed to work this way, because when I was on the phone with Starband for 135 minutes getting back online with my other XP machine, they had me configure the nic in the computer I'm using for the gateway right now, and it worked fine. When I try it with the HP, it is the ONLY computer hooked up to the modem. It is standing alone, with two nics, with the modem hooked up to one of them. It is that nic that I am trying to get to let me network with, the other nic isn't hooked up to anything, and my old system is disconnected. I know it has to have something to do with the settings somewhere, just not sure where. Thanks for all the help, but I guess I'll have to wait till the guy who fixed this thing up for me gets here and see what he did to this thing......Candy :D

Errrr the whole thing is in big mess............... <_< Hey if u can get win2k3 then u might wanna try this method.........it has the basics..............http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ectnetwork.mspxor http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ng/default.mspxWell currently i am also running through this issue not related though i need a cable long enough to connect it :D . and so get started...one thing i would say is unplug everything and first desing on yur paper what u want to do .......which machine should be as what and then setup one machine by one and get them online.........or u could also use sygates home office and home software which does many things .......... Anyways good luck and let hope this works out as i am also on to it. :) Pls check the ics services in services ...........and check which all dependecies are not enabled or running.

In XP Pro, if you open up the My Network Places, there's a button on the left that says "setup a home/small office network. I ran this on my system and it gave me the option to setup the base computer (in your case, the HP) so that it connects directly to the internet, and the other computers share that connection. You'll have to tell it which connection is internet, and which one is for the incoming shares, but it will do the rest of the work. It will ask you to create a "client" disk that you can run on each of the other computers which will set up the gateway settings automatically... I had very good luck using this auto-setup and now have my computers hooked up using ICS...It should go through and turn on any services that it needs to <_<

Sorry, the HP has two nics.  One is for hooking up the Satellite modem, and the other one is for the rest of the network, IF we get the rest of the network working!  I know this is supposed to work this way, because when I was on the phone with Starband for 135 minutes getting back online with my other XP machine, they had me configure the nic in the computer I'm using for the gateway right now, and it worked fine.  When I try it with the HP, it is the ONLY computer hooked up to the modem.  It is standing alone, with two nics, with the modem hooked up to one of them.  It is that nic that I am trying to get to let me network with, the other nic isn't hooked up to anything, and my old system is disconnected.  I know it has to have something to do with the settings somewhere, just not sure where.  Thanks for all the help, but I guess I'll have to wait till the guy who fixed this thing up for me gets here and see what he did to this thing......Candy :)
So.... why not hook up the second NIC to the rest of the network and then try turning on ICS? I'm not too sure if I understand correctly why the HP is not behaving the way it should.

I had the HP hooked up to my computer at one time when we were trying to get this thing to work, and nothing worked. I went into systems just now and clicked on Internet Connection Sharing, and highlighted it. Where it said "Start the service", I clicked on it, and got another failed attempt. It said " Could not start the Internet Connection Firewall(ICF)/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer." Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. NOW! where do I go???????Thanks, Candy

Start -> Run -> type 'services.msc' (no quotes)... Find the service that says Internet Connection Sharing... right click -> Properties -> Dependencies tabSee what dependencies are here and then make sure they're running (start them if they're not) Then try to restart ICS...

GolfPro, I have to tell you, it worked!! I had seen that one thing that was disabled, but wasn't sure if I should enable it till my friend came by and let him do it. Well, when I checked it out your way, there was one of the four things that had to work to make my network functional, and it was one of them. I enabled it, and am now writing this on my computer, but networked to the HP, not my hubby any more.Thank you so very, very much, that was a doosey. Candy

No problem Candy! Glad you got it going!!! Sometimes those dependency issues can be really annoying... I've run into a couple myself, luckily, I figured out how to find which services needed to be working... :)Glad you're all setup now! :rolleyes:

yellowpike

Candy/GolfProGlad things worked out! GolfPros quick start method for 'services.msc' is excellent , Thanks Bud,but please review my first Re to Candy. Did I miss something?Just Curious...yellowpike

Yellowpike,As far as I can tell, you were right on, but maybe post got lost in the mess of early replies... You were exactly right (same thing I told her), but to be honest, your post got lost in the mix, even from my viewing.... it happens on a message board. :P Too many people posing solutions to a problem at once, and sometimes one (or more) get missed.At least Candy's up and running! That's all that matters! :DP.S. Thanks for your help! always nice to have another experienced user on the board here! :DSometimes it helps to add colors or bold lines to your messages to make sure they get read.... Don't want to completely overdo it though ;)

yellowpike
At least Candy's up and running! That's all that matters!
Right On!Kinda new to the unofficial "help/support" stuff so I was curious. I'm very impressed with the quality of you contributors (and Thank You for the compliment.)Keep Up The Good Work!yellowpike