SuSE success

Peachy

will waiting for your post help in setting up my mouse in Slackware?
No quint its an after install change of the ¨XF86Config¨ file ! You have to install the distro first, your mouse will work but not the scroll-wheel, thats all.B) Bruno
OK, just sent the message. B)

Whenever I install a distro I choose Microsoft Intellimouse. The scroll wheel then works properly with my Logitech mice.

Whenever I install a distro I choose Microsoft Intellimouse. The scroll wheel then works properly with my Logitech mice.
Glad the developers know what they're doing, 'cause I don't. B)

Suse installI have a ftp installed version of Suse 8.2 Install was about 2.30 hours . I did find that the partitioning was not as smooth as Mandrake , so I do not have a swap file . second bobo is that I do not have grub in the master boot of the C drive . Read the info on using the boot disk and will give it a try. any suggestions on a simplier way would be appreciated .. Boots up great and have done a little cosmetic things in the apperance , but no more till I get it back in a dual boot mode. knoppick indicates that the windows folders are there so all is not lost . This is on a laptop and not my main desktop. I used a ADSL modem connected to a Dl 604 router which allows both machines internet access. I understand that I can make a network to connect both machines , Xp for the windows and samba for linux This is according to my son who is in networking , unfortunatelt he lives about 5 hours drive frome here . Consquently I am on my own ;) Charlie ;)

Your router will serve the internet to both machines. With samba you can see and interfact with XP but XPwill not see Linux. You can copy and paste read and write to XP but not the other way around. So do anything in linux and transfer it to XP or do what ever in XP and linux wiil see it. Sharing must be turned on in XP and inabledOn the drives you want linux to see. You must aslo give admin rights to your network connection.mike180

Your router will serve the internet to both machines.  With samba you can see and interfact with XP but XPwill not see Linux.  You can copy and paste read and write to XP but not the other way around.  So do anything in linux and transfer it to XP or do what ever in XP and linux wiil see it.  Sharing must be turned on in XP and inabledOn the drives you want linux to see.  You must aslo give admin rights to your network connection.mike180
Actually, if you install and configure the Samba server the XP machine can log into the Linux machine. There are two parts to Samba; the client and the server. You can install one or the other or both. There's no configuration needed for the client. It's the server part that people have trouble with. In order to setup the server, you need to add Samba users (which are not the same as normal users, although you can give them the same username/password) and also a firewall rule to allow smb:tcp (port 139) traffic.

So true.I have Samba running and both me and my brother can access it from anything, WinXP, Win98, Linux, you name it :)By the way, Charlie, I see that you installed Suse 8.2 over FTP.Can you please tell me if you have application called "Main Actor".That is profesional program for movie editing that they included with their distro but I am not sure if it is available for free over download.Thanks!

Can you please tell me if you have application called "Main Actor".
Zox,I did the FTP install, but do not have that program listed; will be checking to see if it is available or not. :D

Thanks Quint.That's what I thought.The reason I went with Suse to begin with was that app, since my wife is due on Canada day July 1st and these days I am getting myself camcorder.My brother had lot of troubles going with Movie Maker on Windows and that is why we decided to try Suse and Main Actor.Main Actor is professional app for video editing but Suse bundled it together with their system so probably they don't have it as a free download :D