"Cannot find server"

memesuze

[Admin: move if necesssary to a different forum]About six months ago I began having trouble connecting to websites. Initially, it happened when I would click on a link that would normally open up a new window. The site would start loading, I’d see a bit of the frame, then halfway in, it would quit and I’d get a “cannot find server†error. If I hit “reload†the site would then come in perfectly.Next, this behavior migrated to the opening up of a site in the same window. Not all sites did it, but it happened often enough to make me change from IE6 to Firefox. For a brief period of time, all was copacetic, but now, I’m having the same difficulties. It gets incredibly frustrating when I can’t sign out of Yahoo or Hotmail, because one of the intermediate Yahoo or Hotmail sites in the sign-off internal dialog at Yahoo or Hotmail can’t be found.I have a friend-made computer, run W98SE, Norton Internet Security 2003, run a complete scan of NAV weekly, as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly. I have Pest Patrol installed. I connect via Roadrunner cable, with a Linksys BEFSR41 router. No problems reported by NAV, Ad-Aware, or Spybot. It’s something in my home connection, because I don’t have any problems connecting to these same sites at work. Clearing out my cookies and temporary internet files doesn’t seem to affect it.Does anyone have a clue where I should be looking?memesuze[i'm cross-posting at Lockergnome]

This sounds like a DNS issue. I don't know how to change DNS servers in Win98, but it should be through the Properties of your network connection (under the TCP/IP options). Try adding 4.2.2.2 as a DNS server and see if that helps.

1. Adding 4.2.2.2 to the DNS server list made no difference.2. I downloaded the .exe and .bin files for the firmware upgrade. However, I get "unable to get responses from server" error message when I attempt to click on the .bin file as instructed. I don't know whether this is because of the general trouble I'm having connecting or is a new problem only related to the Linksys firmware upgrade.I'll now try some of the LG suggestions - disabling NIS, and lowering the Linksys MTU setting.Stay tuned....

Firmware upgrades have to be done from within the router's configuration utility and must be done on a computer wired to the router, not wirelessly. They aren't executable files otherwise.

ok, so this is what I've tried so far to no avail, in addition to what I reported above:1. connected sans router [wireless isn't involved]2. disabled NIS3. defragged4. yet again, cleaned out the cookies, cache [firefox] and temp internet files [ie]since the only suggestion left to me was changing the MTU, I found out that I had to do the firmware upgrade to get the capability to change the MTU.So this evening I spent 45 minutes with JR from the Philippines, trying to execute the upgrade. After changing some settings we got the upgrade commencing and thought it was accomplished - but, noooooo, now the router wasn't speaking to the computer and the computer was missing a dll, and I couldn't get online at all to try to re-do the firmware upgrade. His only suggestion to try to get me back online was to contact microsucks to get the dll. I think his script had run out at that point.I then made him lead me through the changes to settings necessary to connect once I removed the router from the loop, and here I am. Tomorrow I go to Altex or Fry's and pick up a new router to see if I'm still s.o.l. For the moment I seem to be connecting ok, which isn't the result when I disconnected the router earlier - but who knows what the stars have in store for me - I'm not pushing my luck.....thanks for everything - I'll keep you posted on the outcome

Isn't there a reset hole in the router for restoring the default values? My Belkin has it on the back for use with a paper clip.If not, is the router still under warrantee? And if so can't you send it to Linksys for a replacement?

I reset it several times before calling tech support, and during my call to JR, I reset it and unplugged it in sequence several times also - nadaand, although I didn't check the length of the warranty, the router is at least two years old - if it falls under warranty, I'll be asking for a replacement if my troubles have ceased with its removal. Last night I didn't stay online checking it out - just went for some wine at a friend's.....

steeler_fan asked for an update - I'm waiting to install a new router which should come via Fedex tomorrow or Tuesday - but, even though I had previously disconnected the router and still had the same problems, I'm now free of the router and free of the problems. Will let you all know of the final outcome....

What I hope will be the last update on this thread from me - today I installed the new Linksys router - another BEFSR41, this time ver.4 - so far everything is as it was before installation, i.e., all those sites come in properly and no refresh-ment necessary. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support, memesuze.