• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quint

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice base collection...Of course I might be a bit biased (my only difference is Mepis..can't help it ..like debian)...and have fun >_< B)

• 2 months later...

Zox posted this link of 100 different live CDs. Live CDsTake some time and look. You can have it display just the ones that meet your criteria or all. They are linked to the appropriate sites as well.--Julia :blink:

• 5 months later...

Well... I love Gentoo, see. It is my absolute favorite operating system.The Gentoo Handbook is good enough that even a complete newbie could do an install from stage1, and they'd also know a good bit more about the OS that they are using than if they were to go with one of the distros on the other side of the river ;-)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are looking for the perfect distro and you are running wireless, I would take a look at SuSE as it is the only one that automatically configured for me. I also had luck with Mandrake and PcLos.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking through this thread and see a lot of references to Mandrake, do not be confused when you see references in the forum below to Mandriva but not Mandrake. About a month ago Mandrake changed its name to Mandriva. It's still the same great program but just changed its name. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Bruno,I tried the link you posted and it suggested I try Debian :) Perhaps one should just ask Bruno. :) seeing as you just suggested the same thing to me the other day.

You know, rolanaj...you've got "Debian" written all over you.(Perhaps a nice, long shower would get rid of that) :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
If you are looking for the perfect distro and you are running wireless, I would take a look at SuSE as it is the only one that automatically configured for me. I also had luck with Mandrake and PcLos.
I know it is pretty bad when you quote yourself. :D Actually, that advice was something I would have stood by back then. Now, with the Suse 10.1 out I am hesitant to say the same. I don't think the out of the box experience is quite the same with Suse as it was back then. I still love the 9.3 Suse but it is a bit dated and the newer versions have not liked my wireless. Mandrivia and PCLos both have some newer ATI drivers. PClos has the best wireless support for me. If you are liooking at different versions, look at the live CDs out there to see which will support your particular hardware. B)