The Software Hall of Shame!

Scot

I'll add my vote for (against?) Windows Messenger. Anything that keeps opening any time you open an MS Office product and can't be uninstalled without a hack WILL NOT find a happy home on my computer. In general, I find all current versions of instant messenger poorly behaved and annoying and do not use any (Used to use ICQ, but it has gotten too bloated and too many security issues have been found in it). (Messenger has been exiled from my computer)I would add Office XP to the list. MS wants to charge me an exhorbitant amount without adding a single useful feature that I can't find a cheaper and/or better version of someplace else. I tried it - I'm back to Office 2000 - does everything I need

Hi,I have to agree that PSP should be taken out of the list. I have used PSP since 5.0 and like it very much. Though I do not use many of the functions, the background eraser and the auto script functions in 8.0 will be very helpful.I suggest that Drive Image 2002 should be added to the list. DI2002 is supposed to have support for XP and NTFS partitions. However, as I have found after disastrous results with backup and restore it does not work as advertised. Just read any thread on the topic. They even charge for tech support and still will not make it work.Regardsintedeco

Scot,I would like to add Roxio's Easy CD Creator version 5 and Adaptec's version 4 to the hate list. I've used the popular CD-burning program since version 3 came out many years ago. I haven't yet had a chance to look at version 6, as Roxio doesn't have any sort of trial, but I must say that burning a CD with Roxio is not an intuitive task, and I consider myself an experienced Windows user. Also to add to the hate list, is McAfee Virus Scan. It has become so full of various bloatware, such as personal firewall, ad blocker, internet speed up, etc. Even Norton AntiVirus comes with various other utility applets, although you at least have the option to not install them. I actually use Symantec AntiVirus 8.0 Corporate Edition and have never had any problems with background scanning slowdowns, and since it's designed for a corporate environment, it doesn't contain any of the bloatware. B) Can I nominate Windows Update as well? :rolleyes: Josh

I guess I'll add my voice to the chorus questioning the inclusion of Paint Shop Pro. I've used the program for years, but never often enough to feel I know what I'm doing. But that's my fault more than PSP's. People I know who have spent more time with PSP find it a capable program and a lot easier to use than Photoshop, and a lot less expensive, too. I'd like to see it removed from the Hall of Shame list. It surely doesn't belong with the likes of RealPlayer and KaZaa.I was also surprised to see BlackIce on the list. Why is it there? I mean, you may prefer Zone Alarm, but does that mean that ZA's competitors go in the Hall of Shame? Or is there something I don't know about BlackIce?If we're merely talking about programs we don't like, I'd nominate Microsoft Word (I still prefer WordPerfect), InfoLink (which hasn't been updated in about four years, though I still don't know a better link checker), SurfSaver (you have to buy the Pro version to have it work with Netscape, but it won't work with anything past Netscape 4), and Microsoft Internet Explorer (the combination of market domination through Windows coupled with proprietary, non-standard code has made life **** for other browsers and for web designers).There probably are others, but those are the ones I can think of offhand.Cybernut

Hi all:I have a long list of pet peeves However I can limit mine to the following foam at the mouth complaints1) New versions of software that turn you into a perpetual newbie. If I've used the same program for years don't make me relearn the program2) Software that can't be customized very easily or is limted 3) Help files and user manual that suck because they're so uniformative3b) the inability for the user to write his own help notes that can be appended to the regular help files. Better yet that these notes can be exchanged with other users4) incomprehensible error messages. What do I care about core dumps? Tell me what went wrong and if the problem can be resolved5) Programs that overwrite crucial DLL files like MFC42 and then destablize your system6) Software licences that tell me that what I bought I don't own it and then invoke all sorts of restrictions to what I can do with it.7) Upgrades or fix its that don't describe what they fix or update8) Software that steals file extensions. Gee is it so hard to share?9) icons that get added to the system tray without your permission and are impossible to remove (Iomega's 1 step back up)10) Installs that dump files all over the place and you can't track them down; uninstall that don't erase the program from the computer.xavier

I would pull Outlook Express and PSP off the list and add Outlook. Still using PSP v6.0 so may be the wrong guy to comment. It does everything I have asked, well! Outlook Express has always been one of the easiest mail clients to configure with a full ability to adjust where you have to, like server ports. I walk a lot of customers through a setup with never a miss. I also recommend and use a GOOD hardware firewall and a virus scanner that checks incoming and outgoing email messages and have never had a problem. Have seen a lot of contaminated email, but all were trashed before I was. All that said I use Eudora v5.2.

My comments, for what they're worth.Paint Shop Pro 7.0: Terrible, impossible to use interface. I threw it away. I haven't yet tried version 8 because of my bad experience with version 7. I find it hard to believe that anything as terrible as version 7 could be substantially improved in version 8. Hopefully I'm wrong.Gator: Invasive. A definite contender for the hall of shame.Windows XP: A definite thumbs down because of product activation. With this single feature Microsoft has done more to promote the use of Linux than any other software producer in history!

Can I nominate Windows Update as well?  :rolleyes:
Oh, yes, how could I have forgotten Windows Update!! Arrgh. That goes right at the top of my list.Two others I'd like to add are Stomp's BackUp MyPC and Symantec's Norton Systemworks. BackUp MyPC was supposed to be easy enough to make me want to use it. Hah! And as for Norton Systemworks, it keeps getting slower and more bloated, and to add insult to injury Symantec is pulling the plug on software after just a few years, forcing you to buy the newer, more bloated versions. Their customer service is very disappointing, responding to problems with canned messages that don't address the problem. Symantec belongs on the Hall of Shame list, I think, even though their Anti-Virus software is very good.Cybernut

nlinecomputers

Cyber,I think all Norton <fill in blank> software is bloated crap. But what is your problem with Stomp Backup MYPC? It is easy to use the only complaint I have with it is the software doesn't format tapes or CD-RW/DVD-RW during the backup. You got to format taps/disks before hand. Other than that it is great.

I'll add my vote for AOL. The main thing I hate about it is that it wants to take over your computer. Instead of naming it "AOL" I think it should be called "SOL". I won't say what the "S" stands for because Scot doesn't want us to use any bad words on the forum. :rolleyes: Frank

First Nominees to the Software Hall of ShameThis can be a very controversial and subjective topic. So I'm nominating some to get the ball rolling:RealNetworks RealPlayer and RealOneMicrosoft Windows Media PlayerMicrosoft Outlook ExpressMicrosoft OutlookMicrosoft MSNAmerica OnlineLotus NotesJasc Paint Shop ProISS BlackICESharman Networks KaZaAStreamCast Networks Morpheus---------------------------------------------OK,I also don't understand the PSP thing. But then I still use CorelDraw and perhaps thats why I have never liked the whole Adobe interface. (Illustrator, and GoLive included)Having used Outlook2000/xp (ok, 98, too), I HATE it. But I can't find anything better, really. It's free with Office and they use it work, and it does a lot, albeit horribly. I'm sure you would find most folks want something better but that works more or less the same as what they started using. PSP/Outlook or Adobe/Eudora. Word vs. WordPerfect. ****, I miss AmiPro before Lotus bought em! Rotten Crap list includes:RealPlayer - I won't go to a site that needs it. And I tell them that, when they let me.I wouldn't even mention AOL/MSN other than that they prey on the weak.RW

Cluttermagnet
I guess I'll add my voice to the chorus questioning the inclusion of Paint Shop Pro.  I've used the program for years, but never often enough to feel I know what I'm doing.  But that's my fault more than PSP's.  People I know who have spent more time with PSP find it a capable program and a lot easier to use than Photoshop, and a lot less expensive, too.  I'd like to see it removed from the Hall of Shame list.  It surely doesn't belong with the likes of RealPlayer and KaZaa.I was also surprised to see BlackIce on the list.  Why is it there?  I mean, you may prefer Zone Alarm, but does that mean that ZA's competitors go in the Hall of Shame?  Or is there something I don't know about BlackIce?(snip)Cybernut
If you research the software firewalls issue going back over a couple of years, you will see only a few at the top, including Zone Alarm, Sygate, and Tiny. There are no doubt a couple more good ones too. BlackIce took a big hit because it was not providing any real protection against _outgoing_ mischief and mayhem, and it has become an expected norm that firewalls block phone-home spyware as well as all the incoming port probes. Do a little reading on Steve Gibson's site:http://grc.comThe navigation there can be a little confusing since the site got updated, but you can find the relevant discussion as to why Steve has a problem with Blackice on the following two pages: http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htmhttp://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htmThe last page spells it out clearly- Blackice failed to stop questionable outbound traffic and they did not fix the problem apparently, even after suffering the embarrassment of public exposure, but rather they simply tried to conceal it. This has probably earned them a well-deserved inclusion in the 'shame' list. As near as I can tell, their few supporters are folks with an emotional investment in them, having shelled out bucks for a firewall that proved to be not so reliable after all. It is hard to admit making a mistake.

I've been getting the Scot's newsletter for a while now and I've never registered to post in the forums because until now nothing inspired me to prose:But software.. sheesh...PSP inMessenger outICQ outMy vote for worst software? Visnetic ANYTHING.Try installing their firewall software. Someone must have got intuitive mixed up with obfuscated.Their antivirus is incompatible with .... actually... it's just incompatible.Just my humble opinion.

I have to agree that PSP has become more disappointing with the last two versions especially. The UI is just ugly. And it got worse with version 8 with the attempt to be XP-like. The "learning center" just looks cheap. They seem to try to be PS-esque but never quite pull it off. Look at the UI for Elements, it just looks cleaner and more professional. PSP has a lot of good feaures but the UI really interferes in the interaction with the software.

Yes, I definatlely seen some pretty bad apps:-Comet CursorBringer of doom to your computer, loading it with a bunch of useless cursor crap that just looks plain dumb ;) -Windows Backup UtilitiyPiece of junk that completely changes the structure and form of the files you're attempting to back up.-Windows Degrag and ScandiskHave anything running in the background, and it will die.-Adobe IllistratorVery frusterating after using such an intuitive competitor: CorelDraw (9). Illistrator is not intuitive at all, and the controls are always 10 clicks away for what you want to do (when they should be 1 or 2).-Logitech Mouseware and iTouch version 2 & upI absolutely hate those butt-ugly bright yellow letters flashing on my screen every time I use the keyboard locks. Not only that, but this software causes blue screens (gaaaahhh!)And now, for some renomiations:-KaZaADefinately a bad one. Installs malicious spyware (such as MediaLoads, SaveNow, etc...) Good way to mess up your OS. No-one needs KaZaA, and lets face it - no one uses it for downloading RPMs for Redhat - it's all for illegal file sharing of music, movies, etc.-MSN MessengerOne of the reasons I strongly dislike Windows XP. Forces you to have MSN Messenger, which is a terrible piece of software that causes enough problems to give you a migrane.In a general field of software, it really makes me cringe when some no-name website wants me to download some no-name media player. Just use the standard -- Quicktime, Windows Media, or RealPlayer.

1. Anything Symantec makes - Have you ever looked in the registry to try and trace the keys that, say, Norton AV installs? Over 500 of them! Support is awful with the only recommendation apparently being "uninstall and reinstall". And if you do uninstall Norton AV, you'll find that there are still hundreds of keys from Symantec left in the registry.2. Anything from Powerquest - Their software is expensive and their support is useless. Consider Paragon Hard Disk Manager instead. For $60, you get what would cost hundreds of dollars from Powerquest.3. Intuit - I've used Quicken since 1995. Every year I have paid the upgrade ($50-75) for the Home & Business Deluxe version. But they went over the line with the 2003 version. They radically revised the UI so that there were ads for Quicken services and partners everywhere you turned. Seems they spent most of the year working on eye-candy instead of substantive updates. After one day, I uninstalled the 2003 version and returned it. Also, their support, like most any other big company is worthless. They won't even talk to you without a credit card number. It is very difficult to get into one of their chat sessions and they still don't offer a web forum or email for support (apparently, they don't want others see what the problems are). 4. MS Money - The Microsoft turkeys claim that they can easily convert a Quicken data file to Money format. Not true! I tried. They said that they could only convert SIMPLE files, not my 8 years of financial data. I tried to convert separate accounts on their recommendation and it failed miserably. Worst of all, Money DOESN"T produce any log files from the conversion process - so no one can identify WHY a conversion failed. And of course, without knowing why a conversion failed, there isn't any way to fix the problem in subsequent releases. Once you commit to particular financial software, you are probably stuck with it forever.5. Microsoft - It's criminal how they can sell a "suite" of products, such as Office, and each product has a different command structure and different options.

I've got to add my voice to take off PSP of this list, Scot. I have used this application since 1995 and although the interface in version 7 was nothing to cheer about, it's still a D*** good program with great features at quite an amazing price (compared to Photoshop, at least). By the way, version 8 is quite impressive so take a look at it if you haven't already.Arek

Hi all! This is my first post to these forums, although I've been reading Scot's newsletter for quite a while. This "Hall of Shame" topic has finally prompted me to pipe up. Here are some thoughts....First of all, the single biggest reason I decided to register and opine on this topic is that (like many others here) I can't fathom how Paint Shop Pro managed to get on the list! IMHO this program should be ensconced in velvet and placed on a gilded pedestal for providing so many features at such a reasonable price (compared to the likes of Adobe's offerings). Grousing about the fact that it's not free (as Scot mentioned in an earlier post to this thread) is IMO sort of shortsighted when you're talking about a commercial software product written by professional programmers. This isn't an open source Linux project we're talking about here, after all. ;) While there may be some (less feature-rich) programs easier to use, I think PSP offers a great deal of power to the user (much of what Photoshop offers) at a price that puts the folks at Adobe to shame. Granted, it may not have all of the features Photoshop has, but how many of us really need all that stuff anyway?In the interest of disclosure, I am currently using PSP6 so perhaps I'm still in the dark about the interface issues Scot's talking about, but having been confronted with Photoshop's array of function windows ringing the workspace it's difficult for me to believe that PSP comes close to that level of confusion. However, during a recent fit of e-commerce compulsion I purchased PSP7 "Anniversary Edition" (with lots of nifty filters and plug-ins included) direct from JASC during a promotion period that included a free upgrade to PSP8. I have both of those products now sitting here beside the computer (still in their retail boxes), and I'm just waiting for a convenient opportunity to install the latest editions and dig in. I suppose my impression may change when that time comes but I'm optimistic that it will be a fun experience in the long run. ;) I'll be sure to amend my thoughts here if I'm proven wrong.Moving on to other candidates for the Hall of Shame...Real...anythingI'm certainly in agreement with placing just about any product with the word "Real" in the name high on the list. Sometimes I'm amazed that a company that has seemingly abused the majority of their users so frequently is able to stay competitive. It's one thing for Microsoft to do it (they have their monopoly position as their ace in the hole), but a media software company? It's hard to believe sometimes. Heck, my RealPlayer won't even work right half the time, typically freezing solid upon clicking webpage links and the like unless I specifically make the effort to fire it up first and paste the URL of the media directly into the address bar. Pathetic...KazaaI guess I'm just joining the chorus here of folks who don't like the invasive nature of the spyware element in the software, but I'd like to add the ubiquity of "Kazaa-specific" virii/worms/trojans that seem to be increasingly common. I used to use Napster back in the dark ages (I'm sort of perversely proud to say I was among the very first wave of users banned during the Metallica fiasco - and was back on the network within a day of being banned thanks to some resourceful registry hackers), but when it became apparent that its days were numbered I struck out looking for new options. Mostly by luck I avoided Kazaa and AudioGalaxy and instead hit upon WinMX (www.winmx.com). I haven't looked back since... OutlookI'm torn as to whether I think Outlook belongs on the list. I agree that Microsoft's handling of security issues ranges from criminally negligent (allowing all manner of bugs to be exploited, not to mention their previous practice of allowing virtually any dynamic email format to wield far too much power...by design), to ham fisted (addressing the problem of malicious attachments in Outlook 2000 by setting up draconian restrictions on what attachments would be allowed through). But, I've been using Outlook 2000 for a few years now and have actually grown pretty fond of it in many respects. I still wish I could actually remove some of the features that I don't use (what do I need the "Journal" function for, anyway?), but I guess I've become accustomed to Redmond offerings providing features I don't want and can't remove. Ultimately though, this one makes my list because I think a company with several BILLION dollars in CASH at their disposal should be able to do better than what they have. AOLWhat can one say about AOL that hasn't been said before? Yes, I admit that I started my time on the Internet with AOL back around '96 or so, but it became painfully evident to me pretty quickly that the "training wheels" approach to the Internet was not for me. Since then they've managed to stay dominant in dial-up services, increased the amount of pop-up spam they throw at subscribers (who pay top-dollar to be subjected to the marketing blitzes), and still have the most ludicrously archaic mail management interface imaginable. IMO, the only reason to use AOL is if you are extremely fond of overcrowded chat rooms full of children trying to meet members of the opposite sex for some vicarious naughty behavior. I've been trying to convince my poor mother to drop AOL for years now, but still can't convince her that her life would actually be EASIER without it.GatorPerhaps the Heart of Evil in the online marketing segment. Spookily invasive spyware and obnoxious Internet marketing all rolled into one. The worst of both worlds, as it were.Windows MEOn the list because not only was it basically just a slightly "enhanced" version of Win98SE wrapped up and marketed as a "new" OS, but it represented a massive leap backward in stability. What were those folks in Redmond smoking when they decided to release that dog?TurboTax, 2002 Filing EditionThe justice here is that Intuit's wildly invasive and overreaching authentication system came back to bite them in their butt, so they likely will not make the same mistake again (at least not for a while). I'd used TurboTax for the past several years and always loved it, but H&R Block's "TaxCut" got my business this year. And, you know what? I didn't have any problems at all. Intuit will have to try pretty hard to win me back next year....Microsoft IISSupposedly written for use in a "robust corporate environment," this mess might as well be called a "mission-critical condition" service. This is the sort of software that gave the MCSE certification value in the marketplace.Anything requiring "Product Activation"I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on software of all types. I don't like companies assuming I'm a thief and forcing me to jump through hoops to prove to them I'm an honest person. Anyway, that's the list I've come up with thus far. If I think of anything else, I'll be back. :)-op

I vote with others here who request taking Paint Shop Pro off the "Hall of Shame". It doesn't deserve to be there. I've used the program for years, from version five through the current eight, and I love it. And look at the price compared to Adobe Photoshop! ;) And maybe I'm in the minority, but I quite like the latest Windows Media Player; and for putting music files onto my pocket pc I prefer the .wmp format over .mp3 as you can get smaller files with better quality.The one program on Scot's list I do vote for most heartily is Real Player/One; I hate its obtrusiveness and I'd get rid of it in a minute if I could.

Guest genaldar

I don't know if this was covered but here goes. Someone mentioned that had to use AOL messenger. Have you tried trillian? Its free and does aol, icq, msn, yahoo! and irc. I've only come across 2 things it can't do that the full blown messengers can. It can't do the cool reply feature that aol has (where you write out a funny reply and it fills in the name of the person trying to contact you). It also can't use the whiteboard in msn.btw I totally agree with msn messenger, aol messenger and especially icq being on the list. Man I miss the days when icq wasn't bloated and had no ads.

While I agree with most of Scot's nominations (in particular Microsoft Outlook Express), I can't agree with him about PaintShop Pro. Admittedly I have not tried version 7, so can't comment on that particulkar version, but I have been using PSP for years, and find it does pretty well everything I need to do with images, simply and quickly. I have *tried* PhotoShop, and find it excessively complicated after PSP. But of course, the main reason for liking PSP as against PhotoShop is the price. I just cannot afford a program as costly as PhotoShop. If one of the 35 most annoying things about software (and number 1 at that) is the cost, then surely programs as expensive as PhotoShop should be in the Hall of Shame long before PSP!pablo :(

Take PSP off the list. It is not in the same league of awfulness as Kazaa, etc.Compared to Photoshop, PSP doesn't cut it. But as someone said in a far off post long, long ago, you get 80% of Photoshop's functionality at one-sixth the price.Don't know about Elements, but I understand it is giving PSP a run.I use PSP6, and only for its paint tubes, maybe once or twice a year.I tried one of the PSP8 betas. It seemed OK, sexier than PSP6, but also a bit mickey mouse.PSP's main hurt is documentation. I need good *hardcopy* documentation that tells me how to do the task at hand. *How* do I remove blemishes, e.g.888888888888888888888888888888888888888888Add Pest Patrol. I paid $40 for it and it wouldn't work. Had to throw it away. SpyBot and Spyware Blaster are fine, and both are free.

-Logitech Mouseware and iTouch version 2 & upI absolutely hate those butt-ugly bright yellow letters flashing on my screen every time I use the keyboard locks.  Not only that, but this software causes blue screens (gaaaahhh!)
The on-screen key effects can be turned on/off. Since the Itouch keyboards are cordless (i.e. battery powered), they can;t have a NUM LOCK or CAPS LOCK ligth shining 24/7, hence the need to show on screen when its on or off. but like i said, its an option.as for the BSOD, some folks in the other forums also swear logitech causes lots of BSOD, but after 5 years of only logitech, i have yet to see one crash/freeze from mouse or keyboard drivers. even at various workplaces, i always recommended we get Logitech (i like their ergos) and never have any PC i've seen freeze because of mouseware. its just my thoughts on this.as a side-note, great thread Scot! I've never seen so many 'new kids' join a forum over 1 thread! welcome everyone, and please feel free to explore all the wonderful areas of this forum.I'll take a look at Sheraza, but a P2P program is only as good as its network. as for Kazaa alternative, i swear by Overnet (but they have spyware you should disable during installation). Overnet taps into the vast eDonkey network and theres lot less fake files than on Kazaa. also, perhaps the list of shame shouldnt include obvious spyware like Bonzi Buddy or Gator. i dont consider those 'real' software.

First of all, the single biggest reason I decided to register and opine on this topic is that (like many others here) I can't fathom how Paint Shop Pro managed to get on the list!
another 'new kid' to join our wonderful forum. Warm Welcome to everyone new here.Scot, was this some sort of 'reverse psychology' to get more users on the forum, by saying PSP is bad? :( Someone should post "Zone Alarm: the worst firewall product ever" and see a flurry of responses :(

Windows MEOn the list because not only was it basically just a slightly "enhanced" version of Win98SE wrapped up and marketed as a "new" OS, but it represented a massive leap backward in stability.  What were those folks in Redmond smoking when they decided to release that dog?Anything requiring "Product Activation"I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on software of all types.  I don't like companies assuming I'm a thief and forcing me to jump through hoops to prove to them I'm an honest person.
so true about WinME. I loaded it recently on an ageing used AMD K5-133 system, and it BSOD on me after first boot up after installation! *gasp* I re-formated and loaded Win98SE. pheww.by the way, Product Activation is the worst thing ever. Theres talk that Norton 2004 will start to use Product Activation too. Imagine in the future, if not only Windows but about 2 dozen other programs and games you own all need Product Activation, and your hard drive fails and you have to call 2 dozen places + microsoft and given the a valid 'excuse' to be reissued an activation number. ack! but then again, it should be just enough incentive to force a mass exodus over to Linux. :(

Hi all:Here's another foam at the mouth gripe that seconds product activation:Any software that requires the Internet Explorer just to install (Acrobat reader 6,0). I already have a browser: Mozilla; so I don't need another one! I resent how MS and its partners arrogantly presume that my hard drive is theirs to install a browser I neither need nor want.. B) Prelude:What do they care? It's YOUR harddrive that crashed not theirs; it's you who must justify why they should even consider reissuing you a product key; it's you who loses a day's productivity. B) B) :( xavier

nlinecomputers
by the way, Product Activation is the worst thing ever. Theres talk that Norton 2004 will start to use Product Activation too. Imagine in the future, if not only Windows but about 2 dozen other programs and games you own all need Product Activation, and your hard drive fails and you have to call 2 dozen places + microsoft and given the a valid 'excuse' to be reissued an activation number. ack! but then again, it should be just enough incentive to force a mass exodus over to Linux.
If every company did Product Activation like XP does then that will be a non issue. There is a lot of hype about PA but the fact is if all that changes on your system is your hard drive then your system will reactivate normally. If you make major changes, even replace every part, on your system as long as it been longer then 3 months your system will activate normally. If every program would handle this in the same manor then Product Activation wouldn't be a big issue.How many people REALLY have been hit by Product Activation? I repair computers for living. I personaly never had to do it and have had only one client get hit were I had to call in. And that was pretty painless. Though 10-15 programs doing that would be a pain in the butt I honestly don't see that happening.(Assuming that all companies will do this the M$ way.)

Hi all:Here's another foam at the mouth gripe that seconds product activation:Any software that requires the Internet Explorer just to install (Acrobat reader 6,0). I already have a browser: Mozilla; so I don't need another one! I resent how MS and its partners arrogantly presume that my hard drive is theirs to install a browser I neither need nor want..  :( Prelude:What do they care? It's YOUR harddrive that crashed not theirs; it's you who must justify why  they should even consider reissuing you a product key; it's you who loses a day's productivity. B)  B)  :( xavier
yeah, i can't stand the "must have IE loaded" crap. I have Win98SE for gaming, and ran 98lite on it to lobotomize IE out of windows (its a shame they dont have an XP version; MS must have really hammered IE deep into XP). Anyways, i was loading Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 from EA Games, and a message pops up "You need IE 5 to continue" and it refused to install. What does a friggin' racing game have anything to do with Internet Explorer, and why couldn't it just use my Mozilla if it wanted to?i'm so anti-product activation. the hackers/crackers can still easily by-pass it, and the only people that get hurt are those who have 3 computers at home and HAVE to buy 3 full copies of NAV2004 and WinXP. B)

Assuming that all companies will do this the M$ way.
of course they will. How many software companies jumped on the "lets name it 95 this or 98 that" bandwagon? about as many now rushing to have 'XP' in their name and having XP-like menus and buttons. basically if they copy MS with mundane details like naming method, they'll all follow MS down the Product Activation path.I wasn't aware the re-activation was so leniant. See, i have a corp version because i felt MS doesnt need to know so much about me by sending whatever info it chooses over the internet to Microsoft servers. Call me paradnoid, i just plain dont trust them. B) But quite a few people were angry over at neowin.net, regularly posting messages that MS has banned their copy or refused to re-activate them. maybe they lent their CD-KEY to classmates in school/college, maybe they didnt know any better. or maybe some regularly update their computers faster than every 3 months. But a lot of them say they are forced to re-buy their XP copies or switch to Linux or back to their old Win98 or ME. and over time, say 2 or 3 years from now, i'm sure the folks needing new activations but not wanting to switch to Longhorn will have nothing but trouble re-registring.I got burned by "activation" DRM with Quicken, so i stayed away from 'legal' copies of XP.

If you research the software firewalls issue going back over a couple of years, you will see only a few at the top, including Zone Alarm, Sygate, and Tiny. There are no doubt a couple more good ones too. BlackIce took a big hit because it was not providing any real protection against _outgoing_ mischief and mayhem, and it has become an expected norm that firewalls block phone-home spyware as well as all the incoming port probes. Do a little reading on Steve Gibson's site:http://grc.comThe navigation there can be a little confusing since the site got  updated, but you can find the relevant discussion as to why Steve has a problem with Blackice on the following two pages: http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htmhttp://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid there are some problems with what you say. First off, I DID "research the software firewalls issue." I bought BlackIce a couple of years ago when it and Zone Alarm were both top rated in several software reviews that I read and were also top-rated by two computer security people I know. Second, and more important, the info on Gibson's "leaktest" page is pathetically out of date. It refers to a rather old version of BlackIce (the version I bought :-) ). BlackIce is no longer owned by NetworkICE, is no longer called BlackIce Defender, and a good while ago added BlackIce Application Protection to guard against evil stuff going out (as opposed to coming in). If Gibson hasn't bothered to update his information, I'd wonder about HIS reliability.Cybernut