windows equivalent programs

moon

Hi, Do these programs work ok in wine? (or are there are better alternatives in Linux Gui)1.Cooledit 2000(audio editing).2.Virtual dub with frameserver.3.Feurio(for audio ripping and burning)(Feurio author says Linux does not allow a program full control of cd-writer- comments?)4.TmpgEncoder (mpeg1/2 encoding/editing).5.Picvideo codec(for capturing avi with variable filesize).7.Isobuster.8.Clonecd.9.Power vcr(mpeg encoding on the fly). Also,is ext3/reiser fs slower compared to Fat32 in HD movements ?(i.e.Is reiser fs along with icewm/kde slower/faster compared to fat32(win98se tweaked)?RH 7.2 (2.4.7.10-ext3) with Gnome was a bit slow on my K6-2 450,160 mb ram compared to w98se. Thanks.moon

Hello MoonI see this is your first post: welcome to the forum ! :DYour questions: I have to admit that most of those programs you mention are strangers to me, cooledit I know, but never worked with, the rest like reading chineese. ( Guess that´s what you get after years only looking at Linux :D ;) )I do not use Wine nor any other emulation program. Sorry, I just do not use any windows program anymore since a long time. . . . and still think I am not missing anything major. :)But I do see that most of them has to do with music and editing. That´s why I´d like to send you to Thac´s and Linux-sound for a look what kind of music-editing etc. you can get for Linux. ( in Thac´s case Mandrake 9.1 specific urpmi´s = easy to install ) There is a lot more around then you can find on those sites, but it´s a good start.( Personally I use Rosegarden, Audacity, Amsynth, Freebirth and Spyralloops. All of them you can find if you scroll down the Thac´s page on the link above )I rip CD´s in konqueror, encode with Lame, burn ISO´s with Cdrecord and duplicate CD´s with cdcopy. K3b is a good alternative.Another good thread on Windows <---> Linux apps you will find HereI hope this gives you at least some of the info you are looking for.:D Bruno

i've always used CoolEdit, VirtualDub and CloneCD in windows. i just got in Linux, so dont know off hand. for CoolEdit, try Audacity. as for the others, i'm gonna try them out in WineX soon and post results. in meantime, u could always google if others have used these under Linux.

Guest LilBambi

Hi Moon and welcome!Here are some thoughts on the items you mentioned. Others may have better offerings to mention.1. Audacity (with lame for mp3 encoding) there are varous encoders available for it2. not sure what this is, but maybe VLC (VideoLAN Client) but this plays video locally or over the network, so it doesn't sound like what you are looking for here.3. CDRecord has many graphical front ends, XCDRoast comes to mind4. Grip rips and burns CDs (with various encoders, I use lame encoder)5. Specific capture programs for video cards or chipsets and mencoder for encoding7. don't know what that is8. XCDRoast can clone a CD including bootable CDs9. not sure - usually use capture program for the video card (as noted above) then encode with mencoder.For playing AVIs, mpeg video, etc. we generally use MPlayer.There are many varieties of programs to do a specific task. There are rippers and encoders for most any type of audio and video.Would suggest a couple initial starting points by Googling for things like: "linux video ripping" linux video encoding" "linux audio ripping" "linux audio encoding." Or using the specific type of ripping and encoding you are looking for after the word linux in your search query. Of course, there is a special Google for Linux: Google/LinuxOther folks may have other programs that they use and can add to the list. If something doesn't do what you want, you try another till you get one that is close, then watch for updates and get them as they update the program.Video in particular is in the process of constant evolution and getting better all the time. I have found that DivX files actually work better (with better controls for audio and video timing etc.) in Linux using MPlayer than in the Windows DivX player.I also have CoolEdit 2K on my Windows computer and really like it. I still use it quite frequently as well. I have not worked with Wine or VMWare or other Windows emulators yet. But they have evolved quite a bit since the early days when I tried them before.

Guest LilBambi

Oh, OK ... if that's the case .. try to get DVDRip before it and all other programs like it go away (as you know the MPAA would like to see all programs in all OSes like this go away).I am not suggesting that folks use this program for illegal means but for backup copies and for putting DVDs that you own on a 'local network' server, you just can't beat it!EDIT: Didn't want to give the wrong idea here ;)

Edited by LilBambi

Guest ThunderRiver
i've always used CoolEdit, VirtualDub and CloneCD in windows.  i just got in Linux, so dont know off hand.  for CoolEdit, try Audacity.  as for the others, i'm gonna try them out in WineX soon and post results. in meantime, u could always google if others have used these under Linux.
What could be better than CoolEdit and the rest of editors? ;) The answer is emacsEmacs is the most advanced text editor you could find in Linux. It is soo powerful that people called it an operating system of itself. Well, enough said, try it out yourself!What does WineX have anything to do with the programs he listed in Windows?WINE = oringal program that enable windows programs to run nativelyWineX = modified WINE for gaming only with OpenGL and DirectX supportCrossOver Office = modified WINE for Office programs, fonts and others.

What could be better than CoolEdit and the rest of editors? :) The answer is emacs
ThunderRiver :), I think Moon is talking about Cool Edit the ¨Record, clean up, mix, master, and export to MP3 and other formats¨ Have a look Here. And yes I know there is also Cooledit, but that is a Linux program. :) I know, ThunderRiver, life is so confusing :);) Bruno

WINE = oringal program that enable windows programs to run nativelyWineX = modified WINE for gaming only with OpenGL and DirectX supportCrossOver Office = modified WINE for Office programs, fonts and others.
actually, i got my hands on Win4Lin. it runs a full copy of Win98SE in an X environment, so any windows programs should run good. it doesnt support DirectX though, so its not for gaming. Gamers use WineX.after i get my partiton problem in Suse sorted out, i'm gonna load Win4Lin, and try loading Office XP and see how it runs.