NetBEUI problem w D-Link router

cking140

Thanks to Scot's newsletter for all the info posted in '03 re: non-IP protocols. I used the tips to get our wired/wireless network to work smoothly with NetBEUI (installed the Win 2K version). But then I recently switched from a D-Link 614+ 802.11b wireless router to a 624 802.11g wireless router, and NetBEUI would not work...I tried upgrading firmware, changing workgroup name, adding an identical user name/password to each computer...finally I broke down and enabled (suggestion in 2/18/03 newsletter) File and Printer Sharing bindings for TCP/IP and everything's running well again. Does anyone have any idea why using the same company but going from "b" to "g" should have required having to resort to TCP/IP and losing my first line of defense? Thank you, C. King

honestly i dont know why, thats the main reason i have not went wifi yet. You might just email their tech support and find a way around that. I know they have a decent tech support responsesjames

Since the Internet runs on TCP/IP your concerns are running out of time. NetBEUI is not long for this world. The new versions of XP x64 have zero support for NetBEUI. It is not even buried in an obscure folder on the CD anymore. Your experience sounds about right for upgrading your router from b to g. The newer hardware on the market is going to reflect your experience with no support for NetBEUI.

Since the Internet runs on TCP/IP your concerns are running out of time. NetBEUI is not long for this world. The new versions of XP x64 have zero support for NetBEUI. It is not even buried in an obscure folder on the CD anymore. Your experience sounds about right for upgrading your router from b to g. The newer hardware on the market is going to reflect your experience with no support for NetBEUI.

Which is just another reason to get ticked off with** But it is true that D-Link does not support any protocol but TCP/IP in their new products. And the TCP/IP protocol in XP stinks to high heaven.

Sheesh, Micro$oft finally comes out with something that is overall good and secure...and then they say "Nah, that was a bad idea". Go figure! :wacko:

If it was so great then why is the Internet not running on it? Technology evolves...

It almost goes without saying that the best approach to an immense WAN is *NOT* going to be the same one that is best for a small LAN. The security issues and traffic control involved with the former are nothing but usless overhead to the latter. I service a small system that has photo libraries with 20,000 photos each in a couple of folders. When it was converted to XP Pro workstations, access to the folders went from a couple of seconds to over a minute and a half. Guess what M$ support suggested to cure the problem? You guessed right. INSTALL NETBEUI!!!

honestly i dont know why, thats the main reason i have not went wifi yet.  You might just email their tech support and find a way around that. I know they have a decent tech support responsesjames

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier (was out of town) but I did try calling D-link support before and he said it wasn't their problem if my LAN was now malfunctioning - even though the only thing I changed was their 'b' router to their 'g' router. But then I checked w/ a different tech tonight and he confirmed that the g router does NOT support NetBEUI. Oh well, C. King Edited by cking140