Exporting from Thunderbird to Outlook 2003?

ross549

A client of mine originally used Outlook 2003 for his e-mail (moderate volume= 50 e-mails/day), but after a couple major problems with virii and other issues, I moved him over to Thunderbird. It seemed to work well for about 2 months, but the client is having difficulty working with the 'bird (??).So I must now Export all his e-mail back to Outlook. Has anyone done this? Anything I should look for? I need his e-mail folders and Address Book to be exported.

Guest LilBambi

The addressbook is easy ... simply export to a text delimited file and import to Outlook, or maybe use Dawn which has a link here on the forums somewhere but can be Googled too.The mail itself might be a bit harder. Haven't tried that myself. Maybe someone else has tried.

Guest LilBambi

Cool! That last one from the Granite School link was great. I didn't think there was a direct way to do it .. but I have saved that program Mbox2eml for any of my friends, family or clients who might need to do this.Going from TB/Moz to OE then import to OL. Very nice. And not hard at all. Certainly better than trying to export any Pegasus mail to any other email client.Only requirement for Mbox2eml is that Sun's Java be installed on the sytem.Great find. :clap:

Yeah, I did get quite a few hits on Google. I figured that this would not be a frequently asked question, so good fodder for a thread. :P

The only thing that stinks about .eml files is that Outlook (2003 at least) doesn't handle them. It uses Outlook Express to read them.The other problem is that when you bring the emails into outlook, they all are set to the same received date (the date/time you converted them from mbox).

• 3 months later...
The only thing that stinks about .eml files is that Outlook (2003 at least) doesn't handle them.  It uses Outlook Express to read them.The other problem is that when you bring the emails into outlook, they all are set to the same received date (the date/time you converted them from mbox).

I found this thread in the process of trying to export my Thunderbird saved email messages into Outlook 2003. After trying the methods stated here I realised it was only working for my text based email, and not my html email.There is an extension that was written that allows you to export a Thunderbird folder as individual .eml files. I did the following procedure and had it work, keeping all my original dates of receipt intact.1. Downloaded the extension at AusDilencce Extensions (Called AutoSave)2. Saved the extension on my hard drive, and installed it through Thunderbird's extension manager3. Restart Thunderbird4. Reopen Thunderbird, select folder you wish to export. Then click File/Export Selected Messages/Individually. Choose location to save the exported file.5. Close Thunderbird. Open Outlook Express. Open folder with exported messages on your hard drive. Select all files in the folder, drag and drop into Outlook (I put mine in the Inbox)6. In Outlook Express, click File/Export/Messages, which will guide you through the export to Outlook process.Voila! It worked. Some IMPORTANT things to consider:In the process of trying to get this to work, I moved all of my messages out of subfolders all into a single folder. I have not tried this with nested folder structures. Another thing I saw was that any email with the same subject line was only copied ONCE! Since this was going into a folder that named the files by the subject line, any emails with duplicate subject lines had overwritten each other. So for things like autoresponders, or reminders, which often have the same subject line, only one of the messages will be copied (bummer). But overall, the best solution I found.Hope this saves about 5 hours of research and disappointment time for someone else!

Stonegiant:

Install Eudora, import from Thunderbird into Eudora, import from Eudora into Outlook express, import from Outlook Express into Outlook.
Once went that route. Not exactly an elegant solution but works. :) After the successful import to Outlook, uninstall Eudora. :devil:

• 3 months later...
Stonegiant:Once went that route. Not exactly an elegant solution but works. :hmm: After the successful import to Outlook, uninstall Eudora. :thumbsup:
This is the exact rememdy im looking for. Only problem is i dont have the shortcuts for Outlook Express for some reason on my machine, but i know for definete it is there, cos everytime i try to open an eml file, it opens it in express but wont allow me to see the main program.Does anybody have the shortcuts it should be from my desktop. i have it installed to just a standard C Drive, so should be the same as anybody elses. Or some way of finding where to find the program file.I think its time for a reformat anyway, but need to get my emails all sorted first.Many thanks

C:\Program Files\Outlook ExpressIf it is listed in your Start/Programs, just right-click and create a shortcut or send to desktop as shortcut.