Service Pack 2 updgrade problem

Neil P

(I didn't put this in the SP2 sticky, if you feel this should be there, feel free to move it!)Okay, so my computer (I have it in my profile) runs Windows XP Pro. When I try to upgrade it to SP2, the install itself goes fine, but when I reboot it, I get an error. I haven't written it down, but it comes up right when it would usually let me login. I can't put a password in or anything, and hitting "OK" or "Cancel" on the dialog just reboots the computer.I thought at first that it might be hardware related, as I was having RAM issues, but I've since fixed those, and I still get the same thing.The only way I have been able to fix the problem is to reformat/reinstall Windows.Any ideas?

James M. Fisher

It would be helpful to have that error message, SF. I can only think of a hardware problem too. Have you tried Safe Mode?

:"> It's been a while since I have tried an SP2 update, so I don't remember it.I would re-install it now, but, well I don't want to have to reformat just to have it useable again.I...don't think I tried Safe Mode, but it's possible that I did. B)

I have some time (and nothing major to do for now on the computer), so I think I will try SP2 again. I will report the error here (hopefully I just don't get it anymore but I doubt it!) and I'll try Safe Mode too.

Well, I had 44 updates waiting for me at Windows Update B) (not counting SP2, which I still haven't installed--that's next)

I have an Athlon 64, and SATA drives (neither of which are "standard" yet).
Why do you think Athlon 64 is not "standard" or SATA? There are WHQL drivers for all SATA controllers on the market. There are even 64 bit SATA drivers starting to appear.Most problems with SP2 are due to systems that are not "clean" from spyware, adware, trojans. etc.

Would have to agree that the problem probably lies elsewhere. Here are some thoughts:1. Is your copy of Windows XP legal, and properly activated?2. If you have antivirus and/or firewall software installed, did you disable them before you installed SP2?3. Do you have other background services running, especially networking related services? You might try disabling or eliminating things running in background that are atypical.-- Scot

Why do you think Athlon 64 is not "standard" or SATA? There are WHQL drivers for all SATA controllers on the market. There are even 64 bit SATA drivers starting to appear.Most problems with SP2 are due to systems that are not "clean" from spyware, adware, trojans. etc.

I mean they're not standard in that most of the computers you see (not new ones, but ones that people already have) don't have an A64 or SATA drives.To the best of my knowledge my system is clean.

James M. Fisher
Would have to agree that the problem probably lies elsewhere. Here are some thoughts:1. Is your copy of Windows XP legal, and properly activated?2. If you have antivirus and/or firewall software installed, did you disable them before you installed SP2?3. Do you have other background services running, especially networking related services? You might try disabling or eliminating things running in background that are atypical.-- Scot

A might good "pre-SP2" checklist here:http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm B)

1) Yep.2) I do have those, and I didn't disable them...should I have? I didn't see the usual "YOU MUST DISABLE ANTIVIRUS/FIREWALL TO INSTALL THIS!" other than the usual "close all third party apps"3) I don't know that I have anything atypical running in the background either.

Well, here's the error (stop me if you've heard this one before):The windows title is "winlogon.exe"

The instruction at "0x0112cfc8" referenced memory at "0x0112cfc8". The memory could not be "written".Click on OK to terminate the program.Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
Clicking either just reboots the machine.Safe mode gives the same error, though it prepends "SAS window" to the title.I followed all of the instructions given on your link, James.

Defective memory. Have you tested your memory?

:'( Yes. I've had a stick replaced once, and I currently have another stick (the stick that didn't get replaced) sitting on my desk, because I couldn't boot into Fedora. With just the one stick in there, it boots fine.

The instruction at "0x0112cfc8" referenced memory at "0x0112cfc8". The memory could not be "written".Click on OK to terminate the program.Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
Hmm. The error message would seem to indicate that self modifying code is being run. I don't think MS would do that. Maybe your download of SP2 is corrupt??

Hmm. The error message would seem to indicate that self modifying code is being run. I don't think MS would do that. Maybe your download of SP2 is corrupt??

Well, I've used both the CD they sent me, and from Windows Update. Neither works.Is it possible my RAM is fine and it's a motherboard problem? I really hope it isn't :)

My bet is that you have the wrong memory stick for your PC or a bad one, just based on the error message and the fact that you've already had issues with RAM. It's just the most likely problem. Can you give us the history of this machine? Was the RAM upgraded recently?-- Scot

Well, I've used both the CD they sent me, and from Windows Update. Neither works.Is it possible my RAM is fine and it's a motherboard problem? I really hope it isn't  :">

I agree with Scot, let the new stick of memory be your first suspicion.What happens if you swap the new RAM stick for the old one on your desk?Other thoughts...Have you messed around with the ram timings in the BIOS? If so, reset the BIOS back to it's Safe Defaults or similar name.When you open the case (to swap the RAM sticks), look for swollen and/or leaking capacitors. (Pictures of what to look for here.) Edited by rbdietz

Well I've gotten this same error about 3 times now. First, it was with both old sticks, then with just the one good stick, now with just the new stick I have. I haven't upgraded it at all, or messed with the timings.

Steeler, could you give us more info about this PC? What brand, etc.? How old? It might help us either rule in or out the RAM thing. :' /> -- Scot

Steeler, could you give us more info about this PC? What brand, etc.? How old? It might help us either rule in or out the RAM thing.  :lol: -- Scot

It's homemade. I talked about it in the Hardware forum when I was building it
VGA AOPEN|FX5200 - V128MB RTPOWER SP|460(P4)ATXEG465P-VE(FC)NRTHD 80GB|HITC SATA 8MB 13G0252DVD+/-RW 8X Sony DWU18A BEI BAZ SWCPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64 RTLMB CHTECH VNF3-250 NFORCE3 250 RETDDRAM PC-3200 512M KINGMAXMNTR CTX|19"CRT VL951TCASE ANTEC|PLUSVIEW 1000AMG RTL
(If you can decipher all that! If not, I'll be glad to expand on it)

Did Chaintech have a list of tested memory modules for your MB model?I have always used Asus and all their socket 754, 939, and Opteron boards have tested memory lists. I have always used those lists as guides and have not been disappointed to date.

Guest LilBambi

Here's a list from Crucial.com on that particular motherboard:http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...3-250&submit=GoSpecs from Crucial.com:

Information on theChaintech VNF3-250    * 184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)    * Chipset: nVidia nForce3    * DDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200    * Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC    * Graphics Support: AGP 8X    * Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 2048MB    * Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only    * Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only    * USB Support: 2.x Compliant
Is this the type of memory you have, exactly?Might want to get a stick from Crucial or other namebrand higher quality memory or if you already have bought that type, try another type, maybe?Have you run burn in tests on the hardware and/or memory to see if there is a weakness anywhere for sure?Also, yes, you do need to disable antivirus during installation of SP2.Works best if you do that.

Here's a list from Crucial.com on that particular motherboard:http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...3-250&submit=GoSpecs from Crucial.com:Is this the type of memory you have, exactly?Might want to get a stick from Crucial or other namebrand higher quality memory or if you already have bought that type, try another type, maybe?Have you run burn in tests on the hardware and/or memory to see if there is a weakness anywhere for sure?Also, yes, you do need to disable antivirus during installation of SP2.Works best if you do that.

This is the RAM I have. I don't know what a "burn in test" is :thumbsup: As for disabling anti-virus, I did this time around (I followed the checklist), and it still didn't help.