Mandrake install

hodgy

Can anyone tell me if i can do a checksum on cd's? Explanation, i downloaded the three mandrake iso'sburnt them to disk and then did an install over 8.1 on my second hardrive.This appeared to go ok but on a reboot everything ground to a halt after the bios loading,tried my floppy install disk, but not being very knowledgable B) it came to nothing,so it was the nuke em approach. format and new windows(98se) installso i was wondering if i had a corrupted download. so i thought (belatedly) checksumbut on downloading and using it i should have checked the iso's on my hardrive, butthats something i now cannot do.ken

Hi hodgyI know only one way to checksum a CD and for that way you need to have a version of Linux already installed on your computer. Checking downloaded ISO files can be done from within windows, not CD´sBut I think your problem is not in the first place the CD´s, but the fact that you probably tried to upgrade your 8.1 version !Upgrading is a risky business, from 9.0 to 9.1, but even absolut inpossible from one version ( 8.1 ) to another ( 9.1 ) !A full clean install is the only way in that case.Even upgrading from 9.1 rc2 to the final 9.1 gave a lot of people headaches. As Long as you stay in one version ( 9 ) keeping your /home directory is possible.So my advice: try to install again and do a full format during install.B) Bruno

Guest ThunderRiver

You can get a GNU version of md5sum port for Windows. You just need to do a search.The Windows version of md5sum I use is hereBasically you use it to calculate the target file with an output that should match to the number provided on Mandrake mirror.Windows also uses CRC, which is not as reliable as MD5sumThunderRiver

Sorry ThunderRiver but that is for checking ISO´s in windows. Not for checking already burned CD´s, those need a different appoach.B) Bruno

Guest ThunderRiver

Ahh.. in that case, there is no way you can do a chksum5 for it. You can only perform such action when there is only one target file, which in this case is a ISO image.Bruno is right. You should avoid total system upgrade as much as possible, same rule applies for Windows of course. On the other hand, you should create a separate directory for /usr, /home, and /etcThus when you reinstall, only /boot and so on are being changed.In both OpenBSD and many Linux manuals, it strongly recommends you to perform a clean install.

I did wonder if an update was sensible and it proved not to be,so i will try a new install.This is a bit vague ,but what i can remember of my 1st install i was asked what versionof X-something- 3? or 4? is this choice important. as i said a bit vague, at the moment the only thing i know about Mandrake Linux is one's a duck the other's a penguin B) Thanks hodgy

No questions about X versions this time Hodgy, all traight forward, just go for the default choises Mandrake makes for you and you´ll be allright !Good luck with your install friend, any questions . . . ask them !B) Bruno

I will try tomorrow (mon a holiday in the uk)I have an Arnie dvd to watch tonight (6th day) that i have to return tomorrow.Thanks for the encouragement Bruno and Thunder.Hodgy

Have fun with the DVD hodgy, relax and tomorrow make some strong coffee before you start ! Being fresh, good rested, relaxed and having plenty of coffee is the best guaranty for a good install. :DB) Bruno