Nvidia & fonts

mike180

While I have gone to great trouble to install the updated Nvidia drivers (ver #4363). I sure wish I hadn't. I am having to view the Forum and Post this message while in Root. All of my fonts in /home/mike are little rounded squares. ???? WHY ???? While my icons and everything else are correct and I can run glxgears now (top speed over 7,500fps.). Slowed down to 3,200fps. There is no way to work with that kind of display. Made it to the WWW and the little rounded Squares were all over the place. :huh: By the way. Thank you GolfProRM for the tip. I had done everything as you wrote but, had not know to :wq, so all I was doing was make files and saving them. :rolleyes: :D . Had four copies all over my hd. :ph34r: :ph34r: I am running a GeForce 4 4200Ti with 128Mbs DDR Ram 8x card in a 4x AGP slot.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• mike180

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,This is very strange, never heard about this one before !If I understand you right, as long as you are root all is O.K., just logged in as user the fonds are messed up ?Can you confirm that please.:rolleyes: Bruno

Hey Bruno, Yes, sure is strange. Must be some frequence change in Refresh rate. :rolleyes: :ph34r: That can't be right. Thinking is all messed up. Been working on this all night. 4:42am, now

Mike the solution is simple:Open a terminal/console and make a new user: ( have to be root to do this )< adduser > ( without the < > )After setting up that user and giving that user a password. Log out as root and log in as that new user. See if the fonds are O.K. Then log out as the new user and log in as root. Copy the relevant files from the old user to the new user and delete the old user when finished !Don´t copy the .kde and .gnome directories !:rolleyes: Bruno

it said I had new mail. What is that?
That is an internally send error message to root, ignore it !:rolleyes: Bruno

Just login as root, you probably are already, open a console where you get a prompt, and type < adduser > ( without the < > ) and follow the text you get on the screen.:rolleyes: Bruno

I tried that.at prompt adduser -u /newname -p /newpassword invialid arguement newnametrying to get my Knoppix working so I can post and do as you tell me but cannot get the WWW working without a password to setup the cable modem.

[root@localhost root]# adduser -uadduser: option requires an argument -- uusage: adduser [-u uid [-o]] [-g group] [-G group,...] [-d home] [-s shell] [-c comment] [-m [-k template]] [-f inactive] [-e expire ] [-p passwd] [-M] [-n] [-r] name adduser -D [-g group] [-b base] [-s shell] [-f inactive] [-e expire ][root@localhost root]# A little help here. do i use the brackets. adduser [ -u mike8 [-o]]like that

Might as well do a new install and get the 277MBs download again. I am starting to get mad because I am out of coffee and I could really use a cold beer.

NO Mike !Do you have Mandrake ?In Mandrake use the GUI --> Menu --> configuration --> Other --> Userdrake And add the new user there.:rolleyes: Bruno

No password needed for a tempMike.Now log out and log in as one of those mike´sB) Bruno

Add a user this way:In Mandrake use the GUI --> Menu --> configuration --> Other --> Userdrake Call it ¨tempmike¨ and give him a password.Then try again loging-in as tempmikeB) Bruno

Mike I´m afraid you messed up your /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file. You told us that you had the ¨:wq¨ problem and several of the same files laying around.Go to /etc/X11 ( clicking ) and have a look, I have 2 files there: XFConfig and XFConfing-4 ! Tell me what you have got in /X11. ( only the XFConfig files )Do not take any drastic measures yet, just report back to me.:ph34r: Bruno

Ran system log and found a security warning at 01:26:57.Security Warning: Change in World Writable Files found:-No longer present writable file: /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.font-unix /tmp/.font-unix/fs-1also security warning: There are modifications for port listening on your machine: