Dual boot

Andymcr

Hi,Searched all over, nothing. I'm wanting to switch my main PC to XP/ Slackware. I have a 160gb sata drive 50/50 partitioned XP OS/ XP other. I also have a 40gb ide drive that I would like to put Slack on. Any ideas about which order to do it, where the MBR is, do I use LILO?Thanks in advance.Also, on my other PC (the one I trialed Slack on, and realised it was the way forward!) I tried a 'konstruct' update to 3.4RC1 - after about 6hrs of scrolling i gave up, was it my slow (celeron 800) pc or a bad command? I'd ideally like Slack 10.1 & kde 3.4 on a first install, maybe I'll have to wait,And don't get me started on Baghira - anyone know any decent tgz sites?Oh, and theres Amarok, I installed, then it asked for GStreamer etc.I'm going mad here, but I'm loving the experience - and keeping notes,Andy

Hi AndyKDE 3.4 is far from stable now . . . . ( only PCLos has a reasonable version in a beta ) . . . so forget about Slack and KDE 3.4 fro now !Putting Slack on a separate drive is a good idea . . . you can either make a boot-floppy and use that for booting if you do not want to overwrite the MBR on your first HD ( hda ) . . . but if you want to use Lilo to multiboot it has to be installed on hda ( and later adapted to include Windows ):) Bruno

Hi,Well I went ahead, and now have both OSs on my system, but no oportunity to choose a boot option.The only way of choosing is to alter boot selection in bios:I have SATA drive xp - if i choose in BIOS "scsi 1st boot" it boots up xp, once in I can see the linux drive in comp management (disk 1)I have IDE drive Linux - iif i choose in BIOS "ide 1st boot" it boots up Linux, once in I cant see the sata drive - hda is my cdrom, hdc is the ide drive with linux on.When I installed Linux i asked it to install LILO in MBR , i guess its now on the mbr on the ide drive?Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - I don't mind using NTLDR or LILO, I'd just prefer not to have to change bios every time I want to switch!Thanks,Andy

HI AndyWhen you boot into Linux . . . from the IDE drive I suppose you get a small boot-menu where you press "enter" for Linux . . . . ( right ? ) . . . that is the Linux bootloader. Depending on the Distro ( Is it Slackware you installed ? ) it is either Lilo or Grub . . but we both can adapt them to include Windows XP . . . What I would like to know is: how does linux call your sata drive ( the one with XP )Please give this commands i a terminal and show me what it says:

su< password > fdisk -l

B) Bruno

Hi Bruno,Thanks for the swift reply. I tried a fdisk -l and it only showed hdc (my ide linux drive with 3 partitions on it). I had a quick look at fdisk help and tried fdisk /dev/sda to see if it was seeing my sata drive but nothing.Is there a command (like disk management in XP) that will show all devices, mounted and unmounted?Thanks again,Andy

Well yes the "fdisk -l" should show all the HDs if they are mounted or not . . . :(What was that distro ? . . . And maybe show me the"/etc/fstab" . . .

cat /etc/fstab

B) Bruno

I'm on Slackware 10.1, basic 2.4 kernel. I did an fstab and it showed the same again, ide and cdrom - no sata. I'm beginning to think that the BIOS takes me to the ide boot before it has loaded the sata drivers for the other drive. In which case, I think I'll have to boot scsi, and use NTLDR to give the option to boot from ide.I'll have a play around, thanks for your help,Andy

Hi AndySee because Salckware installed its lilo on the IDE and not the SATA means it did not see the SATA at all . . . . and that could be correct because the 2.4 kernel has very poor SATA support ( or none at all )Normally your SATA would be on hde ( that is what all the others report from other distros using the 2.6 kernel ) . . . so basically your entry for Windows in /etc/lilo.conf should be

other=/dev/hde1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hde

But I fear that when you want to write that lilo to the MBR ( with the /sbin/lilo command ) it will tell you that there is no hde B) . . . . . ( you can give it a try though ;) )From what I know, Slack has SATA support now, but you will have to use the 2.6 kernel . . . and that will maybe/probably have some implications on your sound-system . . . because that is the trouble I hear from some people testing the 2.6 on Slack . . . othes have propblems with their 7-button mouse ( not the 3 button ones ) . . . See . . . a kind of catch 22 . . . but you could try the 2.6 just to see if you have the SATA support . . . B) Bruno

Cheers Bruno,I found a quick workaround at http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm using boot.lnx on my scsi drive - I reinstalled Slack and got lilo onto the superblock on the ide,Now when i boot, I get the Windows boot options - the linux one takes me to lilo! Downside is, still can't see any windows drives from Slackware - but as you say this might be a kernel issue.EDIT: I guess I could put a FAT32 partition on the ide - hopefully that would allow sharing.Thanks for your input,Andy

Edited by Andymcr

Hi AndyGlad you found a solution !! . . . . :DAbout the FAT partition on the IDE . . . . .That would indeed be an idea :thumbsup:B) Bruno