'nother day, 'nother problem

zlim

I don't use my older desktop PC (98SE, replaced power supply in August) on a regu;ar basis any more. I fired it up to install all the updates (AVG, SpywareBlaster new version, theCleaner, AdAware) and discovered that I can't get on the internet.The computer is wired to the router. The last time it was on the web, by my ZA logs, was 26 Feb when I updated FF. On the off chance that I did something wrong removing v1 and installing 1.1, I also fired up IE v6 something and then Windows Update. All are unable to connect. Then I got out my notes and decided to get to a DOS prompt and didipconfig /flushdns followed by release and renew. That hasn't done anything as far as I can determine.The light on the router where the olderPC is connected is green and there are two lites lit on the back of the computer by the Linksys NIC. What do I try next?

Where do I find the TCP/IP settings?When I do ipconfig /all this is what comes upIP address 0.0.0.0Subnet mask 0.0.0.0Default gatewayDHCP Server 255.255.255.255Primary WINS ServerLease obtainedLease Expires:1 Ethernet Adapter then follows a description of the NIC cardIt gives the physical address which I assume is the MACDHCP enabled YesIP Address (one is mentioned and also appears in my range of addresses allowed in ZA)Subnet mask 255.255.0.0Default GatewayDHCP Server 255.255.255.255Primary WINS ServerSecondary WINS ServerLease obtained (the date and time is earlier todayLease ExpiresI found something I did ipconfig /all on my 98SE nb so I could compare the twothe IP address on the connected computer starts with 192 (which is the range of my router) The IP address on the desktop starts with 169 I have no idea where this is coming from.I have not made any changes. You know I have enough trouble getting a computer on the internet so once it's on, I don't fuss with the settings because I know I will screw something up bigtime.Do things Disappear after a computer isn't powered up for awhile? It doesn't seem likely but I can't figure out what could have changed between 26 Feb. and today. I was busy downloading tax forms off the IRS site and printing them out in Feb.I haven't installed any new software but FF 1.01 and the usual updates to my AV and anti-vir and trojan detector.None of my computers are set to share anything. (I haven't even begun to figure out how to do that.) I tried at one point to figure out how to share the printer but got nowhere - usual for me. The one desktop is connected to the printer via parallel port and the older desktop is connected to the printer via USB port. I have a Zonet I-port printer server gizmo to install on the printer via the parallel port and then connect to the router but when I tried to set that up, I drew a blank too.

Edited by zlim

Well I'm on with the locked out computer. I fired up the Linksysy software on the nb and looked over my settings - meanwhile I had ZA open on the desktop. I tried to edit the settings in ZA but it wouldn't let me.I had the Maximum Number of DHCP users set to 4 (seemed like a good number to me). I changed it to 6 and all of a sudden, ZA added a new network on the desktop. I rebooted to make sure the setting stayed and I can now surf.I guess my next question is what is a good number to set for the maximum number od DHCP users? Obviously I'm clueless here too. I have 4 computers with 5 partitions. Does each hold on to a setting? I also never have all 4 computers up and running at the same time. I just assumed that with 4 I would be okay because I might use on rare occasion 3 computers but that is the maximum.

Edited by zlim

Now I'm more confused. (I wonder if that is possible?) When I had 4, the one computer was not able to get a proper IP address...it received something starting with 169 instead of 192. I have no idea where/why/how it picked that number. Anyway, the moment I changed the max from 4 to 6, ZA was able to grab an IP in the proper range (I had the zone screen open on the locked computer while I was typing on the nb and saw it appear). I'm afraid to back down to 4 on the off chance it will lose the connectivity it now has.

Since it's a private address range, why not make the Maximum Number of DHCP users be 255? DHCP doesn't assign the numbers sequentially and if the range is too small similar MAC addresses might be hashed to similar addresses thus causing a conflict.

Your router setup should show you what devices are connected. Take a look and make sure your computers are the only ones on the network. It's possible (especially if you have wireless) that someone else is using your router

Just to clarify, zlim, as EdP mentioned, 169.x.x.x is a private IP address, one that Windows assigns if it can't get a valid IP from the router. Depending on your router, the usual subnet IP assignments run from x.x.x.100-x.x.x.199. So if your router uses 192.168.1.1 for the router's IP, you can safely allow 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 as allowed IP addresses. That's the range your DHCP server will assign IP addresses within.

nlinecomputers
Do things Disappear after a computer isn't powered up for awhile?
Yes they do.You are connected with a process called DHCP. DHCP uses leases. You router has a setting somewhere with the time period of a lease. Lease times can be anything. A day, a week, an hour. When your computer first connects up and has no IP address it requests a DHCP lease of an IP address. If your lease is set for a week you get the address for a week. At the half way point during the lease your computer will begin to request a renewal of it's lease so as to keep it's ip address. If you are not connected during that time you can loose the lease. However many products will keep the number in reserve for as long as twice the lease time. Also if for some reason either side can't resolve your lease number you'll need to be granted a new number.You set your lease number to low. You should allow for overlapping leases. If you have 4 computers I would set your max lease number to 8 or even 12. If this is a wired connection and no risk of anyone accessing it then setting it for unlimited is also acceptable.(Who else is going to get DHCP leases but your own computers. Why make life a problem eh?)

:blink: Thanks guys. I printed out your reccomendations and I'll have a look.I know I didn't change any lease times. I think the default is 24 hours.Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood where the homes are far apart. There are only 4 homes on my side of the street. I'm a corner property and I did a walk around with my notebook to see where my signal dies. It drops at the sidewalk on two sides. It carries up into my back yard but drops before it reaches the end of my property. I didn't bother testing on my neighbor's side. He is a multi-millionaire and owns his own company. He wouldn't need to steal wireless from me. (hmmm but maybe his housekeeper, maid, gardener?) Anyway, I changed the SSID when I first installed the router and it would take a bit of work to figure it out then figure out how to log on. I'm paranoid when it comes to passwords - all different for all sites and all emails and not words but nonsense alphanumeric combos.

nlinecomputers

If all you did was change the ssid then I can logon to you in seconds. All I need is a free product called netstumbler. You have to do more then that to secure a wireless. Best way is by NOT having a broadcasting SSID and using MAC address lockouts.