XP SP2 - Lag Time on Directories

dicknite

I am getting a real lag time when I do anything like "Save", "Save As", "Open", Etc. within a program - like if I am editing a picture/document and want to save it as a new name, or if I am inside any program and want to access a different directory - whether it is to load or save - The Window pops up with the current directory listed, and I click the down triangle at the right of the "save As" (for instance) box to go to a different directory it takes FOREVER for anything to come up - like 10 or 15 seconds sometimes. If I click again, the window title changes to whatever it was with "Not Responding" appended to it. Then I wait a bit longer and it opens up the directory tree...It doesn't do this every time, but frequently. And it's not like it only does it the first time, but randomly throughout the day... Also does not do it in Windows Explorer.I don't have indexing turned on - I don't think - wait a second, I'll go check... Well, I was wrong - I do have indexing turned on on this box... Now I've got myself wondering if that could be it... I hate to type all this just to do a "DOH!" and slap myself on the forehead! I guess now my question is, could indexing be causing this? Anything else?Drives are all healthy and defragged/cleaned/etc... They are large drives - well, not huge - both on this box are 80GB.Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to turn off indexing and see if that helps in the meantime.Thanks!d|:^)Dick

:P Doh!It seems it was the Indexing Service... I turned it off and have had minimal lag time since...This forum is so good, all you have to do to find an answer to a question is write the question and you have the answer before posting! Amazing place! :P Later,d|:^)Dick

Guest Paracelsus

Ah! The good ol' Indexing Service. Completely forgot about that. I've had it of for well over a year. I seem to recall Nathan having posted something about way back when. If gets worse over time, as your drive gets more stuff on it. More & More things to have to keep indexed. :P

I had a similar problem once upon a time. It was two things:1). Indexing2). Floppy was broken (the machine took a long time to determine that each and every time I tried to save something; removed the thing to speed it some)

Yep - as I said above, turns out it WAS the Indexing Service... I really need it running though 'cause I use a search snap-in to locate files on my hard drives that is WAY faster than explorer's search, and it requires indexing to be on...I have defragged the drives and cleaned them up. Lag seems to be less, but I know it will always be a problem.Anyone have any suggestions for a search tool that is faster than the "Search" function in windoze and does NOT require indexing to be on?Thanks folks!d|:^)Dick

Edited by dicknite