Which Linux distro

siebkens

Sorry - stepped out a minute to cut some roses. The cool wet weather has done amazing things for them this year! :) Only have 1 card in PCI slot - Voodoo 2 video card. Ethernet is on-board, no modem. Connect through network gateway to internet using ICS.--------------The starting again Sieb! B)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• siebkens

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

Install the minimum Sieb, we can add later, leave out multimedia aswell, just leave office, internet, configuration and KDE !B) Bruno

Hard drive is 3 years old. I have another 6.4 GB hard drive to try out. I'll try that first & if that doesn't work - will wipe windows on 1st hd. Just reloaded it last week anyway, so nothing lost there.---------------Cover off Sieb! B)

I only laid down for five minutes. Look at what happened! Very busy group here. Sieb, keep at it. We will stay with you. :) I lose my beauty sleep staying up last night to watch an install and just rest my eyes today to catch up. B) I was sure I would be awake before you could come back from the video store. Anyway I am back now and thinking positive things......

I wish!!  :) 256K memory
Just guessing Sieb, looking for answers . . . try the other HD you´ve got lying aroud, you won´t need that much space anyway in the beginning. And this HD was weird and haunted from the start . . .B):) Bruno

I made it to the root password, but not quite done yet.Differences from last try.Different hd, Made no changes to formatting - I still may try that 10 GB hd again if I get this one working, disconnected steering wheel (per one of the pages that Bruno posted earlier), minimum packages installed.-------------The cautiously optimistic Sieb! B)

Everytime your posting my heart misses a few beats, I am afraid to read another faillure . . . . . . please let this one be OK . . B) Bruno

Had 2 error messages:error installing packages:texinfo-4.3-3mdk.i586webmin-1.070-1mdk.noarchDon't like the sound of the 2nd one. B)

As long as we come to install the bootloader, we can install packages anytime, just note down which ones are failingB) Bruno

Name: webminVersion: 1.070-1mdkSize: 20902 KBSummary: An SSL web-based administration interface for Unix systems.Description: A web-based administration interface for Unix systems. Using Webmin you can configure DNS, Samba, NFS, local/remote filesystems, Apache, Sendmail/Postfix, and more using your web browser.

Name: texinfoVersion: 4.3-3mdkSize: 1694 KBSummary: Tools needed to create Texinfo format documentation files.Description: Texinfo is a documentation system that can produce both online information and printed output from a single source file. Normally, you'd have to write two separate documents: one for online help or other online information and the other for a typeset manual or other printed work. Using Texinfo, you only need to write one source document. Then when the work needs revision, you only have to revise one source document. The GNU Project uses the Texinfo file format for most of its documentation.Install texinfo if you want a documentation system for producing both online and print documentation from the same source file and/or if you are going to write documentation for the GNU Project.

Are we almost out of the woods yet? Where does she go from here? Play in it and download those patches or try to reinstall just that part?

She is still not finished installing Julia ! First that part ! We will have to install a lot of packages before she can go on line !B) Bruno

What did you say over in my thread? This is like watching/waiting for someone to give birth to a baby? Can't decide whether to go break open the wine and be ready or go play scrabble with LilBambi in the water cooler. Sieb - I feel your pain. Keep at it.

This is like watching/waiting for someone to give birth to a baby?
You did not forget that one Julia ! :) :) Well I have to throw in a funny note now and then . . B) :) ( and you signing with ¨proud mother¨ ! )B) Bruno

Installation complete!!! :) B) I can get to Windows & as far as I can tell, I can get into Linux. But it must be the Linux equivalent of the command prompt - no GUI.On the configuration screen:The graphical interface was not configured - it was still in red.Ran updates & it seemed to work?!? Can that be? I did configure my LAN while in there & it said it configured internet connection through my LAN, which is as it should be.---------------The even more optimistic Sieb. BTW, I need to move hard drives around. My 6.4 GB is just hanging out - better actually put it into the case now. :)

No GUI? Bruno - help. Don't htink I will break out the wine just yet. Get that hard drive installed and by then I am sure Bruno will have a fix on the way. Command line prompt. You do like to do things the difficult way, don't you? B) ______________________Still thinking optimistically

Siebsky, you did it !! Yes, hurray !! But no GUI is no good

The graphical interface was not configured - it was still in red.
I fear we will have to do this again one more time but then more packages.
Ran updates & it seemed to work?!? Can that be? I did configure my LAN while in there & it said it configured internet connection through my LAN, which is as it should be.
This is very good ! ( though tose are the minimum updates ) but that it does configure your lan is very good !We know now that it can work on that HD !B) Bruno

Strange, anyway we will install all on the left side ( could leave out LSB ) and KDE workstation and Gnome workstation on the right side.Go for it Sieb, you know how it´s done now, I´m making a pot of tea to calm my nerves !B) Bruno*still crossing those fingers, even while making tea :)

That's a trick Bruno. Does that mean you can cross two sets of fingers on one hand and still pour tea or does it mean you can cross your fingers on each hand and still pour tea? Oh, this is not the water cooler. Don't forget to turn on your tea timer. Did you say earl gray or herbal?Sieb, have at it. Do the install. We are both crossing our fingers.......

Herbal, Julia ! It´s for calming me nerves . . . . . an istall like this you need lots of tea . . . B) Bruno

OK, trying again. Bruno - you have the patience of a saint. And you've walked how many of us newbies through this?!? B) And we've all managed to have different problems. :) ---------------The I can't wait to become a registered Linux user!! :)

And we've all managed to have different problems.
Well, I had it figured out already that you all are doing this on purpose . . . . . . you won´t get me in the funny farm though . . . . takes a whole lot more then a simple Linux install . . B) Bruno

Strange, anyway we will install all on the left side ( could leave out LSB ) and KDE workstation  and Gnome workstation on the left side.Go for it Sieb, you know how it´s done now, I´m making a pot of tea to calm my nerves !:) Bruno*still crossing those fingers, even while making tea :)
Oh goody - I get to install the games. Isn't that the whole point of this - Linux games? B) ----------------The gamey Sieb! :) :) Bruno - does your translation software tell you what gamey means? B)