Which Linux distro

siebkens

That´s right Sieb we can only make it if everybody jumps in to help and gives suggestions for possible solutions . . . But it was yourself who did it in the end !!B) Bruno

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• siebkens

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

My installation seems to be stuck at 1 minute left for the last 10 minutes or so. B) Never asked for 3rd cd, had 1 error message along the way: There was an error installing packages:xine-plugins-1-0-beta4.1mdk.i586 -----------------Staying inside out of the rain & rereading Julia's thread from page 7.

My installation seems to be stuck at 1 minute left for the last 10 minutes or so.  B) Never asked for 3rd cd, had 1 error message along the way: There was an error installing packages:xine-plugins-1-0-beta4.1mdk.i586 -----------------Staying inside out of the rain.
It never asks for CD 3 Sieb that´s OK, the xine package is not that important, but that it got stuck is less nice.I will post agian in a minute let me think 20 seconds.;) Bruno

Sieb we will start again !Remember these:

Onchip VGA Frame Buffer: 32MBVGA boot from: AGPPCI slot 1 IRQ Priority: AutoPCI slot 2 IRQ Priority: AutoPCI slot 3 IRQ Priority: AutoRealtek LAN ROM initial: Yes
We will put these to NO or manual or whatever:PCI slot 1 IRQ Priority: NOPCI slot 2 IRQ Priority: NOPCI slot 3 IRQ Priority: NOAnd just start over again, sometimes it just misses a beat, no problem !B) Bruno

Did you see in mine where you pick everything on the left and the defaults on the right? The third CD is not asked for. You get to play around with that one later on after you are installed. Glad you figured out the autodetect. What a pain. I was fortunate. When I installed I just swiveled around in my chair to my husband's computer. Now I could go into the next room and fire up my daughter's as well. It does make life easy.

My only choices for IRQ priority are:  auto, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10 or 11  Same for all 3 PCI slots  B)
Leave it Auto then . . . we just have to do it like this.Perhaps do not select the multimedia packages ( xine error ) we can always add them later !;) Bruno

OK - rebooting, putting in 1st cd. I set up the partitions myself last time because the / partition was pretty big in the autoconfig & /home was smaller. I'll let it auto config & then follow Julia's advice to leave the right side choices of programs at default when it gets to that screen.I'll be baaaaack! :ph34r:

Perhaps do not select the multimedia packages ( xine error ) we can always add them later !
Did you see this Sieb ? ( that one is on the left side ):ph34r: Bruno

Stuck again at 1 minute! Will restart just to see what happens. :ph34r: Back after I take the kids to the video store for movies - keep them busy while I Mandrake!! So much rain in VA has to be a big money maker for the video stores!!---------------Back in just a couple.PS - no error messages this time.

Stuck again at 1 minute!
I´m speechless . . . . . . will have dinner first, then we´ll try it again . . . :ph34r: Bruno

Maybe you should reformat that hard drive first. That should not make a difference because the partition should take care of it. Do you think there is something wrong with the CDs? Could they be bad copies?

:P BrunoThe PC covers Julia . . . what were you thinking ! Where else would you need cooling, your head ? Can take that off too ! :ph34r: :P
How did this one get past me? Are you suggesting I remove my head now? Or just stick it in the freezer. Better yet, maybe I should go enjoy some ice cream.

Sieb,Before you do it one more time, lets analyse:In the end did it say it was going to configure your ¨internetconnection¨ or ¨soundcard¨ or Printer¨ or anything else ??How far did you get ? the rootpassword ? The bootloader ? summary ? install updates ?:ph34r: Bruno

Bruno - Wow! Quick dinner! Got 3 movies worth of time to spend on this now. :ph34r: Unfortunately, I restarted & it went back to Windows. But what I remember is that it was still copying files - never got to the configuring part. It had that install bar that lets you know how much time is left. Got to 1 minute left & hung up. Couldn't even use the cancel button at this point - I tried only after the 2nd try got stuck.I don't think I've ever seen the penquin speechless before. I don't think that is a good thing!Thanks for hanging in there with me! :P

Sieb,Here is another option: I think your computer has the ¨stryder¨ syndromeIf you choose packages leave out multimedia ( like before ) AND ¨networkcomputer ( client )¨ and LSB !! The rest on the left side should be OK also ¨internet station¨ is OK.I´m fresh again, let´s go for it !:ph34r: Bruno

OK - trying again. I did have the network stuff checked because my computer is networked. Will try using new suggestions! -----------------Holding breath, crossing fingers. :ph34r:

Go for it Sieb ! go for it . . . . . ( a networked computer, could very well be the ¨Stryder syndrome¨ !! )In the beginning there are the security settings, you did not change anything there did you ??:ph34r: Bruno

That´s good Sieb !I got high hopes now !!! If this works we might do it again one more time :P and add the multimedia again. I am nearly sure it are the network packages . . . . But first lets finish this one :P:ph34r: Bruno

Which thread is the Stryder syndrome in? That must have been before I started reading much in the Linux thread.----------------Can catch up on my reading during install! :ph34r:

The ¨Thanks Bruno¨ thread, remember that one ? where it said my name every time, very embarassing ! :ph34r: But do keep an eye on the job, Sieb ! Thank you Sieb ! :DB) Bruno

Thanks Quint, yes 12 pages long we tried to get that Mandrake installed and on line !! And every time it said on the index page: Thanks Bruno - by Bruno :ph34r: :P Nightmares . . . :P :DB) Bruno

Sieb,One more time, only with these packages:Office workstationMultimediaInternetConfigurationDocumentationKDEWe have to get this working !:ph34r: Bruno

Sieb,This is an old hard disk, correct? If yes, you may have some bad sectors. Do a manufacturer's diagnostic appropriate for your disk.

Good point Peachy, could be that aswell. Or Sieb, use disk 1 and wipe windows we will put it back on HD 2.B) Bruno